Can you say 2008?

Here’s a final tidbit to leave you with this Labor Day weekend.
Apparently 2008 isn’t too far away for Presidential candidates or Nebraska Senate candidates!

The rumor on Leavenworth Street – 100% unsubstantiated, we might add – is that Nebraska Attorney General John Bruning is already making calls to get support for a 2008 run at the hopefully open seat left by present-U.S. Senator Chuck Hagel.

The word has it that Bruning even asked for Hagel’s support –which Hagel would not give. (Hagel has stated numerous times that he won’t give info on his political future — Presidential or Senate run – until after the November 2006 elections.)

Word has it that for about the last three weeks, Bruning has been calling Hagel supporters (gathered on his own) asking for their support.

This could set the stage for a GOP primary battle with other potential contenders such as 2nd District Congressman Lee Terry or any of the three GOP Senate candidates from this year (if Pete Ricketts doesn’t win).

(As for the Dems – any remotely viable candidates?)

No word yet on whether Bruning has yet spent any of his over $600,000 war-chest on yard-signs…

1. TH says:

Dems could run Matt Connealy, Chris Buetler, and Chuck Hassbrook would all be good choices in my book. I don’t see how any of them could loose to Bruning, I just view him as being too polorizing

2. Street Sweeper says:

Bruning, Terry or any of the others mentioned have something TH’s suggestions don’t: name recognition.
    (And probably use of the spell-check feature…)

I hear Bruning is telling folks he will run no matter what – he’s even indicating a primary challenge to Hagel.

Would make sense considering Hagel’s plummeting approval numbers and his penchant for pissing off the GOP base. Bruning could “lieberman” Hagel.

Lee Terry doesn’t have the guts to run against Chuck. Bruning is the only one with the ego and attitude to do it.

And TH had some good suggestions. Anyone ever hear of Pete Ricketts before last summer?

I just can’t see Nebraskans voting for a guy that Does Not Respect Strippers

“After further examination, I determined that using state resources for this litigation would be inappropriate,” Bruning said. “I don’t believe this case is a priority for the hardworking taxpayers of Nebraska. Strippers are not a protected class under the law like race, gender and religion. I don’t think government’s role is to force apartment owners to rent property to people engaged in the adult sex industry.”

th: Connealy is yesterday’s news and he got blown out by Fortenberry. Al Gore has more personality than monotone Beutler. As for Hassebrook, he didn’t have the stones to run for Governor this year although word has it by people in the know he _seriously_ considered it. Chuck and his election as NU Regent is a great example of the Peter Principle. The Democrat bench is virtually empty.

6. Daily Bulldog says:

Why would anyone vote for Chuck “I want to cut UNO football” Hasse-crook??

He is a football-hating-lefty-wuss like that freak Belck (*belch*), who is on her way out.

Yeah, let’s cut football in order to get more money for hypo-chondriac (sp) flute-playing long-haired music freaks….they really bring in revenue!!

Sounds like a beat episode of Mr. Holland’s Opus to me.

Good to see Bullcrap is still doing the 1970 Archie Bunker impression. Good Job, BC, you’d never know you were kidding. You ARE kidding, right?

Can Bruning plow money raised for state office campaigns into a federal campaign? I don’t think he can…maybe I’m wrong.