For those of you who missed it (and this will probably lead the news), about a minute or two into his speech where he announced that he would be retiring from the Senate, Hagel’s “Faces on the Press Club Floor” caricature, which was hung up behind him, came crashing to the floor.
Hagel immediately joked that this may be symbolic of his announcement.
(The picture comes crashing down.)
(and the AP’s shot of this…)
In other highlights from the speech, Hagel said:
- He hopes to have the opportunity to serve in another capacity down the road (hint-hint, cabinet position, next President).
- He WILL have something to say about the upcoming Senate race at the appropriate time.
- He does not categorically rule out running on a Unity ’08 ticket, but that he has no plans to run for anything in 2008.
- He is not endorsing any Presidential candidates right now.
- He (jokingly) would like a job as a “stringer” (or freelance journalist) for KFAB radio host (and Leavenworth Street reader), Gary Sadlemyer.
- He made this decision about a week ago.
- And…that he is confident that he would have won re-election had he decided to run (with a final thumb to the eye of the aforementioned Jon Bruning).
So we await Hagel’s involvement in this upcoming primary.
And the word from everyone in that picture up and to your right.
And the horses are out of the gate!!!