Kleeb: no time for Iraq

There is an editorial in the York New Times (“All the Print That’s Fit to News”?) by also-blogger Brian Bresnahan of the High Plains Patriot. Brian was a Major in the Marines and served in Iraq, Somalia and Bosnia.

It is then not surprising that Brian’s interest is in military policy as it relates to the U.S. Senate campaign in Nebraska.

Brian’s piece in the York paper and his follow-up on his blog aren’t terribly shocking as far as the policies the various candidates laid out, but it is worth the read. Pat Flynn, Tony Raimondo and Mike Johanns all responded with positions that you would generally expect from them. (Flynn and Johanns both spoke with Brian, and the Raimondo campaign replied with a detailed e-mail.)

And Scott Kleeb? Well, Kleeb’s campaign told Brian that they:

“…were still building their campaign and not yet ready to answer detailed questions on these issues.”

Wha-huh?

Iraq and the U.S.’s military policy is only probably the predominant issue of the day, and has been since at least 2003. And, oh by the way, troops were in Iraq back in 2006 when Kleeb ran for national office and lost to Adrian Smith. Did he have an opinion back then?

And, oh by the way, Kleeb has been raising money, non-stop, since at least last summer, if not before, for his campaign of “A new brand of politics”.

Now you’d think that Kleeb, and his campaign, could give his positions on Iraq while sleeping. But I’ll let Brian sum it up here:

We’ll have to wait for his answers to one of the “biggest issues facing America,” and see how influential his contacts with the radical, far left defeatists at the Daily Kos are to those answers.

Thanks Brian.

1. Uncle Wiggly says:

Wow – imagine my surprise – the Pretend Paladin trying to mask an unpopular position. The guy has made a career out of non-answers, bobbing & weaving, dissembling, and misrepresentation.

Just as a mental exercise, try to de-cipher his stands on legalized abortion, sanctity of marriage, or tax policy sometime – it’s like getting caught in a revolving door.

2. Mike says:

It is hard to take this editorialist seriously when he calls those at Daily Kos radical, far left defeatists which is ridiculous on so many levels. Like most partisan hacks in this state there is probably another side to this story that he is leaving out in order to attack Kleeb.

I won’t take this very seriously considering I have read Kleeb talk about the issues in Iraq and National security in various news stories the last week or so. I would be interested to know what really happened.

3. Strong Moderate says:

Hey Kleeb! I’ve worked with candidates from the moment they decide to run for office and the first thing they do (before they put up a website, raise money, flirt with the media, or announce) is go over ALL their positions with their campaign manager. Furthermore… didn’t you run just less than two short years ago? Shouldn’t you at least spit out some mish-mash rhetoric and then clarify it later?

Can’t the Dems put up any candidates who actually have the mind to try to win? I’m neither expecting nor wanting any democratic victories in Nebraska races… but could the NDP at least make it sort of interesting?

and Mike you are right, it is embarassing to the Kleeb campaign enough as it is without ruining a good attack with name-calling.

4. Mike in Omaha says:

Can I speak for Keeb: “Gentleman, I believe we need to change our strategy in Iraq, we need to have a vision for the future and not rely on the failed policies of the past. Only though change we can protect out interests in the region and the lives of our soliers. Yesterday’s policies have failed and we need to look towards tomorrow, because tomorrow is the future and the past is history”

5. Mike in Omaha says:

Kleeb needs a campaign song: I recommend Changes by David Bowie. The lyrics below seem appropriate.

Still dont know what I was waiting for
    And my time was running wild
    A million dead-end streets and
    Every time I thought Id got it made
    It seemed the taste was not so sweet
    So I turned myself to face me
    But Ive never caught a glimpse
    Of how the others must see the faker
    Im much too fast to take that test

Ch-ch-ch-ch-changes
    (turn and face the strain)
    Ch-ch-changes
    Dont want to be a richer man
    Ch-ch-ch-ch-changes
    (turn and face the strain)
    Ch-ch-changes
    Just gonna have to be a different man
    Time may change me
    But I cant trace time

I watch the ripples change their size
    But never leave the stream
    Of warm impermanence
    So the days float through my eyes
    But stil the days seem the same
    And these children that you spit on
    As they try to change their worlds
    Are immune to your consultations
    Theyre quite aware of what theyre going through

Ch-ch-ch-ch-changes
    (turn and face the strain)
    Ch-ch-changes
    Dont tell them to grow up and out of it
    Ch-ch-ch-ch-changes
    (turn and face the strain)
    Ch-ch-changes
    Wheres your shame
    Youve left us up to our necks in it
    Time may change me
    But you cant trace time

Strange fascination, fascinating me
    Ah changes are taking the pace Im going through

Ch-ch-ch-ch-changes
    (turn and face the strain)
    Ch-ch-changes
    Oh, look out you rock n rollers
    Ch-ch-ch-ch-changes
    (turn and face the strain)
    Ch-ch-changes
    Pretty soon now youre gonna get a little older
    Time may change me
    But I cant trace time
    I said that time may change me
    But I cant trace time

“Grasshopper”, I believe you have misinterpreted the meaning of these lyrics. You must be a freshman who is taking Lit. 101., therefore, I forgive you. It just doesn’t work for Kleeb.

By the way, it’s “turn and face the strange”…don’t argue about it, dig deeper in your research.

Anywhooo, thanks for the blog….took me way back and gave me a smile!

7. Mike in Omaha says:

Sorry anonymous I pulled it off a website…But Kleebs followers are a bit strange, How about “Change” from Tears for Fears or my personal favorite from Tu Pac Sakur’s song “Changes”…If your running for Senate you have to be hip with the kids.

“Grasshopper”, are you saying Johann’s is hip with the kids?

I think you had better go back to class now.

9. Where's Kleeb? says:

Kleeb is running a phantom campaign. He left Nebraska after he filed – that stop in lincoln was on his way to Eppley – and he was gone for more than a week.

Since he’s been back he’s done nothing but end direct mail pieces that spell out his message of change. So he’s sitting down to write his Obama-knock-off message but he can’t answer for his position on Iraq.

Bresnehan is a nut – but he’s got Kleeb by the Stetsons here.

10. Ted says:

Go back to “Primary Colors”, the previous post and read comments from 4.0 unl about the “faux” cowboy.

We can only hope with the logic he/she exhibits the Nebraska “Brain Drain” will continue a little longer.

11. ed says:

Well, looking at the quality of some of the comments here, it looks like the brain drain from Nebraska has been working wonderfully well.

From a brief GI Independent interview:

Regarding the war in Iraq, Kleeb said the generals are correct.

The current troop level is unsustainable over the time frames proposed by presidential candidate and U.S. Sen. John McCain.

Kleeb said strong diplomacy is needed to create a shift from the current unilateral force to a multilateral force with regional players trying to stabilize an impending civil war there.

The war ties directly into another area of concern health care.

Kleeb said American soldiers are not being supported to the level they should be when they return home from service. Many lack health care.

13. for GI anonymous says:

Hey GI anonymous

So why can’t his campaign asnwer straightforward questions about Iraq on a regular basis.

By any measure – pissing off a loose cannon like Bresnehan – especially if you allegedly have already answered similar questions is political malpractice.

But we know – Scott wants “a new kind of change, to change change for the better, to better change for the future, and to change us all once we get there.”

That’s why he changed from a failed Congressional candidate to a failed Senate candidate.

Change we can believe in for sure.

14. 4.0 UNL Student says:

To Ted: There is no Brain Drain here. Scott Kleeb is about change. He yas youth, energy, and an ivy league education. The future cannot have change with a 70 or 80 year old Toni Raimondo as Senator. He is a business owner. What does he know about running a government? Scott will make sure that instead of business tax credits being given out to companies like raimondo’s for job creation, ALL NEBRASKANS will have health care. That is the future, that is hope!

15. bob says:

Kleeb didn’t learn about international multilateralism from his History of Cowboys. Cowboys don’t ask anyone’s permission as Kleeb would have America do.

Kleeb has the same kind of creepy false patriotism that oozes out of Obama. Silver words, designer jeans. A smile glued onto an ego that is embarassed to be American.

16. OmaSteak says:

Anybody who thinks the Daily Kos isn’t radical far-leftist is hopefully too stupid to find their way to a polling place.