Heard on Leavenworth Street in 2009…
“Hal Daub: We Need Him Now.”
– Daub for Mayor commercial
I’m not ready to retire…I’m raising money.
– Ben Nelson on 2012
If a decision hasn’t been made [between Sarpy and the Royals] by the time it becomes my privilege to become Mayor of this great city, I will make a deal to keep the Royals.
What is Jim Vokal hiding from?
– Omaha Police Union mailer
– Suttle for Mayor ad
I read books, not blogs and I surely have never heard of this particular one.
– Omaha City Council candidate Steve Cross
As an elected official, the least we can do is give the taxpayers a receipt for the money we took from them.
– Nebraska State Treasurer, Shane Osborn in the Wall St. Journal
I think the sacredness is setting up the mayor’s office as a leadership pulpit instead of a bully pulpit.
– Mayor candidate Jim Suttle (misundstanding the meaning of “bully pulpit”)
A disappointment in Suttle’s mayoral run this year has been his overpromising statements about taxes.
– Omaha World Herald editorial
The chill continued a month later, when Suttle started to speak during a council meeting. Some of his six colleagues tuned him out. One stared ahead. One stifled a giggle. One studied papers. Another turned his back.
– The OWH on Councilman Jim Suttle’s colleagues
Now whenever anyone needs money, you know, for a project with the NRD, you go to the guy that’s senior in the Senate on Appropriations. So let’s hear it for Ben Nelson.
– Lee Terry on Ben Nelson
And then when I help you out, Lee will criticize the earmark.
– Nelson back to Terry
I’m sorry that Ben was offended by that.
– Non-apology apology by Terry
City of Omaha to take over bankrupt World Herald
– Leavenworth Street
You’re like a woodpecker on crack.
– a caller to KFAB’s Tom Becka
It would be a bit of a surprise to me if both people who come through were Republicans.
– Lee Terry, prior to the Omaha Mayoral primary results
You could scour the nation and not find a person who is more qualified for this position.
– City Councilman Dan Welch regarding Hal Daub
The Mayor’s office is a “leadership platform”, not a “Bully Pulpit” — which you inherited from the previous administration.
– Jim Suttle, once again, screwing up the meaning of “bully pulpit”
Democratic Sen. Ben Nelson says he’s staying out of it.
– reports on Nelson endorsing Jim Suttle for Omaha Mayor
…the partisan blogs and conservative talk show hosts tried to make something out of that to hurt, uhhh, our candidate, Jim Suttle.
– after Nelson read Leavenworth Street
Nothing to worry about. Our poll says we have it all wrapped up.
– Suttle, three weeks from Election Day
More jobs, not officers, are needed to prevent crime.
– Jim Suttle
Too many Americans get their news from entertainers (who) tell them what to be angry about today.
– Ben Nelson
Ben Nelson is today’s Worst Person in the World.
– Keith Olbermann, after Nelson included Olbermann in his list of “entertainers”
Johanns took union money and should stand up on this.
– liberal activist Jane Kleeb on why Senator Johanns should support unions
We need to…quit making criminals out of people, however they might come across our borders.
– Jim Suttle
I really have an open mind on that whole issue.
– Jim Suttle on amnesty for illegal aliens
Suttle has left a City Council record marked by his strained relations not only with his fellow council members but also with Mayor Mike Fahey. The record shows it.
– OWH, endorsing Daub for Mayor
Details, details — you guys always want details.
– Suttle to reporters
Frank Brown is a race-baiting, tub of goo.
– KFAB’s Scott Voorhees on the (former) Omaha City Councilman
Hal Daub beat Hal Daub on Tuesday. The election was a referendum on Daub, pure and simple.
– Leavenworth Street
Mayor-elect Suttle will have to raise taxes.
– former Fahey Chief of Staff (and Shadow Mayor) Paul Landow
Accusations come and go….What goes on in private lives is private business. I don’t sit down with anybody and say, ‘Tell me about your past.
– Suttle on Chief of Staff designate, and accused pedophile, Matt Samp
I have asked Matt Samp to separate himself from my Administration.
It doesn’t make any difference whether it’s perception or reality — treat them the same. It’s time to part company and I did.
– Suttle on why he fired Samp
Suttle had campaigned on increasing the use of alternative energy and driving a hybrid fit that message.
– Ron Penzkowski on why Mayor Suttle got himself a new fire-engine red Durango (hybrid) SUV
I really worry today if what we’re seeing is a dead cat bounce.
– Senator Johanns in a Senate Banking Committee hearing
Tom White plans to run as Tommy Obama?
– NEGOP Chair Mark Fahleson
We truly felt we had a one year lease.
– Suttle spokesdude Ron Penzkowski on the 4 year Durango lease
It’s no consolation to stand with one foot in the campfire and one in the ice bucket and say, ‘on average, I’m in good shape.’
– Mike Johanns to Ag Sec Tom Vilsack
There are a lot of armchair quarterbacks who THINK they know how many firefighters belong on a truck.
– Fireman Josh Goessling,arguing for four men on a truck
Re-registered today as an Independent
– Jim Esch on Facebook
Basically, I never have been a big fan of either party. Not from a local sense, but nationally. So, I feel truer to myself by going back to being an independent.
– Esch, explaining to Leavenworth Street why he quit the Democrats
I am elated.
– Suttle, on how he felt about a proposal for a new tax
It’s time for independent, effective leadership…I know that with my unwavering independence…
You can find Nelson “grabbing drinks at Capitol Hill joints such as Charlie Palmer Steak or Sonoma wine bar.”
– The Politico on “Top Party Animal” Ben Nelson
The entry that the NEGOP believes provides Nebraska voters with the most useful information will win two (2) tickets to the November 21, 2009, Nebraska football game against K-State.
– Mark Fahleson asking for oppo-research on Tom White
Well he’s made mistakes, but if this continues, then I think the people can question that. But right now I think any discussions of recall are premature.
– Lee Terry on a recall of Mayor Suttle
Would you support a recall of Mayor Suttle?
– Omaha Police Union robocall
I urge all Members of Congress to put aside their narrow partisan differences and seize this moment for health care reform.
– former Senator Chuck Hagel, via the White House Media Affairs office
(Obama) has made too many apologies. And at this point, his strategy is too naïve and has too little coherence to be called a strategy.
– former Senator, and current New Yorker, Bob Kerrey
Instead of attacks being filtered through the perspective of a thoughtful news media, things go out unfiltered through cable TV and the Internet.
– White House guru David Axelrod in Nebraska, regarding his proposal to return to 1973
It will actually connect the Lake of the Ozarks with The Holiday
– #2, in the Top Ten Things You Need To Know About The New Mike Fahey Street
New tax idea: A penguin tax. The zoo has a bunch of ’em, and everyone loves ’em! Goodbye deficit!
– Tweet from “Mayor Suttle”
I would run as Chuck Hagel. I always have. If I’d run again, I’d run on my record, and who I am, and that’s the way I’d do it.
– former Nebraska Senator Chuck Hagel on whether he would run as a Republican if he were to seek office again
My Republican colleagues and I have a simple test for reforming health care: Will this legislation improve your life?
– Senator Johanns, delivering the weekly Republican address
…by God’s grace I hope to have many more years ahead of me to continue to serve our community…
– Hal Daub, declining a proposal to have a street named after him (like former Mayor Fahey)
I love my boat. That’s the thing I love the most. … I have a thousand (text messages) a month, at least. It’s very freaky (how fast I can do it.) People are like, ‘how did you do that? … I like cheese.
– State Senator Kent Rogert, on things he likes
Keep your hands off MY Council.
– Omaha Mayor Suttle to Governor Heineman
The governor is a resident of Lincoln, not Omaha
– Suttle, again, suggesting that Heineman should stay out of the Omaha”s business
I wouldn’t have voted for the House bill.
– Senator Ben Nelson on the House passed health care re-form bill
Tom White said he would have voted for President Barack Obama’s health care bill passed by the House.
– OWH on White
I don’t talk to Bloggers.
– Ben Nelson
Faced with a decision about whether or not to move a bill that is bad, I won’t vote to move it. For sure.
– Ben Nelson, on the Senate Health Care re-form bill
A Hill source says to pay attention to Sen. Ben Nelson. He is reportedly being threatened with closure of an air force base if he doesn’t fall in line and will be offered a “blank check” bribe bigger than Sen. Landrieu’s.
– Michelle Malkin
My vote is not for sale – period.
– Nelson on whether or not he accepts bribes for Health Care votes
– Mike Johanns on the Health Care bill agreed to by Ben Nelson
The Cornhusker Kickback
– Nationwide moniker for Ben Nelson’s Health Care reform deal
– Ben Nelson, on being the center of attention in the Health care debate
Ben Nelson is the most vulnerable Democrat incumbent in 2012.
– Senate expert at the nonpartisan Cook Political Report
There is not carveout.
– Ben Nelson on the carveout for Nebraska in the Health Care Bill