Primary Election Day!

As we gear into Election Day, here are a few final spots from the GOP CD-2 candidates, Congressman Lee Terry and Matt Sakalosky (a/k/a Sakalowsky, KPTM…):

First a mailer, that went out to 30,000 Republican households, from LT.

Note that the Terry campaign has not done any radio or TV against their severely underfunded opponent. Instead they’ve concentrated on direct mail, a robo-call from Governor Dave, volunteer calls, lit drops, and a recent teleconference town hall meeting by Terry. If a Republican planned on voting, there’s a good chance they were contacted by Lee’s camp.

But just to give you something to look at, here’s a piece on YouTube from Terry’s campaign site:

Next there’s the MattSak camp. According to the FEC site, Sakalosky only raised $26,000 ($10K of that, from his own pocket) — this despite being in the race for at least the past twelve months.

Ah well. That won’t shake the Sak camp when they have a couple of sugar-mommas coming through, apparently.

Joe Jordan noted on his blog that Patricia Heskett, who has been very active with the 912 wing of the Tea Partiers, dropped $10K on her Sunday OWH, page 5, pro MattSak / anti Lee Terry full-pager.  See it below:

We then later got word from Shelli Dawdy of Grassroots in Nebraska — a Lincoln, Nebraska wing of the Tea Partiers — that she was asked by another group to whip together a radio spot for MattSak to be played on KFAB during the Voorhees, Limbaugh, Beck and Becka.

See the YouTubed version of it here:

The actual radio spot states at the end that it was “Paid for by Grassroots Patriots”, but it’s not clear where that group is from. We find a Kentucky version of them on the web, but nothing particularly from Nebraska or the Omaha area.

And we haven’t found any Federal Election Commission filings from either Heskett or Grassroot Patriots at the FEC’s site, since each would be required to file a report within 24 hours of their independent expenditures. But whatever, right?

So if we hear anything worthwhile throughout the day, we will do our best to give updates.

Send us an email if you hear or see anything interesting, or have any camera phone shots to share. And feel free to tell us about your polling place experience either via email or in the comments section.

And for Gaia’s sake, please remember to vote a few times, will ya?

**We will try to update with a new post around noon today.**

1. Voter1 says:

Please everyone go vote today!

Highly doubt that Sak is going to make it out of the primary…not like he was ever really in anyways…

As for the lady that made that ad for Sak–she said she wanted to give "a better life to her kids" so she took out a $10,000 ad space…what ever happened to funding education these days???

Yesterday, I spoke with a very informed man named Austin Brake who is running for the Millard School Board. Check him out…

To Voter1: education is already properly funded, why would you ask private citizens to pony up another $10,000 on top of our high taxes.

This just proves that the Sak Supporters are delusional. "Education is already properly funded…"? I would take direct aim at the word "properly". Only someone that has no experience with any public school system except one semester at a public college trying to play baseball would ever think education is properly funded.

IT IS OVER FUNDED!!! It is top heavy with bureaucracy, administration, funding of outside programs like daycare and preschool. Curriculum is changed out in many Districts on a 5 year cycle (one to choose the new, one to pilot the new with all the doodads, one to learn the new and 2 to teach the new). This alone is a colossal waste of time.

Math doesn't change much, history can be supplemented for a couple of years with a decent current events program utilizing the fantastic computers that most of the districts have bought for their buildings and where they didn't, our kids were fortunate enough to have strong PTO supporters.

Get your head out of the clouds Matt and join the real world-not the one where you vacation in CA regularly.

Does your statement indicate that you support the takeover of all student loans by the federal government? I suppose that's another way to go to school free, different than your way, but another way.

The Lincoln arena vote will be the driver in eastern Nebraska, if anything. The pro arena group has called me three times at least with live human beings even. The no-arena folks have not. That being said, I still think it is going to be tight with the pro folks winning.

The rest of the races? Wake me in November. Yeah, I know treasurer is up but hopefully the whole office will be voted out soon enough.

5. GeosUser says:

You can bet the Terry campaign will be crunching the numbers after today to see not only what Sak's impact was but how many R's deliberately don't vote for either one. That number of R's who don't vote for Terry but vote in other races has grown in Terry's last couple of campaigns and is White's only hope in November. As for Terry, next cycle he will likely face a much better organized and funded primary opponent.

Doubt they're staying home this November. It's their chance to send Obama a very clear message and ensure that Pelosi is forced into retirement. You know, she's been there a long time, under the old retirement system. I bet she bags more than an Omaha FD or OPD retiree.

Well, I am surprised that Lee did anything. I am a "4 out of 4" voter and typically tend to vote early, but I did not receive one piece of mail, lit or phone call from him.

I almost forgot about the primary election. Well, Sen. John Nelson and some other guy for OPPD sent me stuff…I'll make sure to vote for them. But, too be honest…I'm almost considering skipping the congressional race vote. If I am not important enough for Lee to contact, then he obviously doesn't need my vote. (And no, I am not going to give it to Matt S. by default)

Maybe he doesn't want my vote that bad?

I'm Lee Terry, and despite the fact that while my party and I were in complete control of government the deficit increased dramatically, I hope you've forgotten that and will reelect me on a budget cutting pledge.

Paid for by Amnesiacs for Terry.

Anony at 8:47:
    You're right. No one cares about you and your whiny b*tching neediness. If you neeeeeed a contact from a candidate to vote for him or her, it will only be too soon before you've got your hand out for something else. Do us all a favor and stay home.
    But, please, spare us your self-pity.

Okay, so I've always voted for Lee Terry, but my wife and I decided to vote for Matt Sak at the last minute. We fully intend to vote and financially support Terry in the general, but felt it was important to send Washington and all incumbents a message not to take us for granted anymore.

Anon 8:59…
    I'm going to ignore your rudeness, immaturity and lack of decency. My post was obviously pointing out how the Terry camopaign forgot the #1 vote getter–The Absentee Ballott Apllication. ANYONE who has worked on a campaign knows you push to get the early voters to the polls. Those who take the time to mail in the absentee ballot request application that the candidate has mailed them help build up the final numbers and are a guarantee at the polls.

Knowing that this election is not garnering much attention, Terry's camp should've sent out a mailer with an early voting request form. Although he will beat Sak, having a higher than predicted turnout would have helped Lee's fundraising as well.

Dear Amnesiacs, Ever heard of September 11th? It was a devastating act of terror that our country has spent billions of dollars to recover from and prevent from ever happening again.

Now, before you go into the Prescription Drug Program for seniors or earmarks, let me educate you on somethin':

PDB was budgeted and paid for-even the part that Sakalosky has been making all his personal wealth on:the electronic access to patient information.

Earmarks, while abused tremendously by committee chairmen, are dollars taken from the head of the EPA or Dept of Ed or HHS and spent as directed by the earmark in specific CD's. If not for earmarks, whomever is President and whomever they appt to head those departments, THEY, get to decide where your tax dollars go. so, to reiterate, They are not outside of budget dollars.

The budget needs to shrink period. Defense spending is the single largest budget buster in America. Is Matt Sakalosky proposing to cut that? Sounds like it.

Anon 9:07. The Tea Party Rallies, Congressman Terry's TeleTownHalls and Coffee Shop Tour across the District has given him a clear perspective of the position of the people of this CD and across the Nation. The GOP has been in timeout for 3 1/2 years. Placed there by the voters in '06. Pelosi has placed them in solitary and has refused for months to even take calls from them.

A vote for Sak is a vote for Tom White and you can bet your butt that White will reward Pelosi for her solid support in Washington.

These truths I know and I am not a staffer-just well informed (and a little nosey).

I just heard that David Boomer freaked-out on camera with a reporter. It is going to run at noon. This could be a big break for Sak!

9:09,
    You said nothing of the sort. You said, "If I am not important enough for Lee to contact, then he obviously doesn't need my vote."
    So now you're saying you won't vote b/c you don't like Terry's campaign plan? Really?
    I am going to vote based on how I educated myself about the candidates and issues. If you can't do the same, stay home.

16. Voter1 says:

To anonymous @0716: I don't know how old her kids are but she could have set aside money for their college education or at least her grandchildren's. Last I checked a college education isn't free…even with scholarships I have to pay to send three kids.

For those of you not voting because you weren't contacted stop whining! If you are going to support Terry "in the end" you need to ensure he gets there! Not saying he won't…but with low voter turnout today every vote counts!

9:22–Sak's gonna need a better break than that. Boomer hasn't done any on-camera interviews about the primary. Try again.

I'm a Republican in Douglas County and I voted for Matt Sak this morning! I also voted for Heineman and Tony Fulton. I left the ones for Bruning and Foley blank though. I just couldn't vote for them, even when they didn't have an opponent. Yuck.

I voted down in Bellevue this morning and turnout was very light. Like no one else was there the whole time I was there, about 12 min or so. Hmmmm

Mat Sak, don't what to say about a guy who will do what he has done and expect I would respect him. He reminds me of the old mafia skit where the boss tells some punk "do you kiss your mother with that mouth?"

Sak runs around bad mouthing Terry, but spends little time defining what he plans to DO. The line of "I will cut spending" is code talk for I haven't got a clue but if you send me i will do something.

Matt get elected to something at a lower level first.

20. Street Sweeper says:

We will try to update with a new post around NOON today.

If you have anything worthwhile to share — photos, observations, etc. — send an email to leavenworthst@gmail.com

Or you can be lazy and comment here…)

Thanks!
    SS

Well, if the attitude from the Terry camp is that those of us who were not contacted should stay home, then so be it.

Nice job Boomer, you just lost another vote for Lee by sending your henchman to post here.

Watch KETV at noon. Boomer's blow-up is going to be EPIC. If this doesn't sink Lee now, it certainly will this fall.

23. Millard Repub says:

Everyone knew that it would be Boomer that sinks Lee.

Maybe we can get a real conservative like Stothert to run for this seat in 2 years!!

24. Right Wing Professor says:

Things are looking good for RWP's "I eat out too much anyway, and if they think I'm paying 10% sales tax in restaurants and bars, they're insane" diet.

When does the Lincoln arena tax go into effect, anyway? I'd like to lose 10 pounds by the end of the summer.

25. One Out In The Third says:

Four items on my Independent ballot…the non-profit issue…pick a Mayor…Regents…and weed board or something

Couldn't bring myself to vote for the black guy for GI Mayor…does that make me a racist? The guy appears to need some anger management therapy. Course they probably say that about me too. To balance things I didn't vote for a couple of the white folks either.

I wish Nebraska and other states would allow Independents a choice and a voice. This partisan crap is insane. I was a RINO for a day once to pick a good candidate…you shouldn't have to be a "Party Member" to pick a good candidate.

Professor…there are lots of good restaurants within a short drive from Lincoln. There is a place southwest of Funk that is worth the drive…and a pretty good Italian joint in Cozad. Lincoln and Omaha's elite have been known to rent limos for the trip to Cozad. There are no hoi polloi farm trucks parked anywhere near the place when it is open…Beemer's…Audi's and Lexi fill the streets…the food is good and the prices aren't bad either.

11:55 a.m. — oh that's rich! Considering how much Terry staffers are on here all the time — especially election years!

12:14 – I don't care. But if you are trying to say Terry's staffers AREN'T on here all the time, I've got some beachfront property in Arizona I'll sell ya….

28. Solomon Kleinsmith says:

What's your point?

This is the highest traffic political blog in the state. Every single campaign with a staff probably checks it daily, if not more.

12:16

The beachfront property sounds very nice and I wouldn't have to worry about illegals on my property!

I say if I don't see any proof that Terry's staffers are on here "all the time" then I'm getting a new beachfront property.

The point is that no one should throw stones making fun of White or Sak staffers for visiting this blog, since Terry staffers spend a whole lot of time on here too!

Btw, Ian, Chan 7 does not have noon news. If you knew anything about this district that you have been stealing your legislative salary from for the last 3 years, then you would know that.

White Staffers=Dumb Asses

Interesting to see who's backing Sak in the R primary: Jim Esch's folks. Big D's–look at the next thread and you can see the 4 x 8 sign. Makes sense–they want a weak candidate to go against White.

33. The Weekly Reader says:

Solomon,

Past supporters such as Ian Russell and Dave Sund have abandoned Kyle's "premier source of progressive online political commentary and community-building" and post their rants here instead. BTOx , Buddy and Ted the Red prefer this site. Whatever will the boy wonder do when Janie starts up her Bold Nebraska Blog?

12:25 I don't think so…you made it sound like its free if I can prove Terry's staffers aren't on here all the time…yet you can't prove that they are.

Esch's parents have a 4×8 sign supporting Sak! HAHAHA They must be scared of Terry too…

35. Solomon Kleinsmith says:

"Do you mean to say that the New Nebraska Network can't keep up with Leavenworth Street? Even with Kyle replying to his own posts, the Lovely Lisa adding her two bits worth of drivel, and a bunch of spammers hacking in on a daily basis?"

This site is more friendly and snarky, while it gets really dirty really fast over on NNN. Kyle writes more long form, while SS writes shorter stuff geared more towards eliciting comments and joking around. And of course there are more conservatives in the state. Plenty of drivel on here too, haha

Our opinions of Ian Russel are probably about the same, but he and and Dave Sund aren't allowed to blog publicly, since they have paid positions in politics. This isn't anything of note, this is just common practice. Can you blame them?

Uh, 12:43, I said I had the beachfront property to SELL you. What about that statement says "free" to you.

Ha ha. You MUST work for Lee Terry!! 🙂

Just received an email from Pat McPhearson "the Objective Conservative".

He is just so in love with Tom Nesbit it's almost embarrassing. Pat is taking shots at Sen Tony Fulton and his bid to be Treasurer.

I don't think Nesbit is going anywhere as he just doesn't have good appeal.

White Staffers!

Kyle needs your help now–no one is commenting about his primary thread over at NNN.

Time to help Vile out… go for it!

White staffers,

I highly doubt that Boomer would "blow up" at a news anchor. He has been doing this forever and I have yet to see him "blow up". Thank you for wasting your time on here.

Lee Terry and Jean are friends. Jean will never run against him. However I have heard several prominent business leaders are asking Jean to run for Mayor.

41. Lee Terry says:

I'm Lee Terry and I wonder how the Obama/terry voter not going out to vote in Novemeber is going to impact my turnout??

Will the fact that those voters will NOT be motivated to go out to the polls bring me down enough to cause me defeat??

We will find out soon enough….