I have decided a run for Governor is not in the best interest of my family. Anne and I have sixteen grandchildren – 13 in Omaha. I can’t put them through a campaign that will undoubtedly sink to the lowest level.
– Mike Boyle. Though apparently his wife didn’t feel the same way.
I’d have to say that nine out of ten people that come up to me thank me.
– Ben Nelson, on the Cornhusker Kickback
I think we’re truly finding that “snow” is a four letter word.
“I’m very disappointed in your vote Senator.”
“Somebody get him the hell out of here!”
“It was definitely a scene in there.”
– Patrons of Dante Pizzeria as Ben Nelson exited the restaurant.
…in Massachusetts, they are willing to elect a guy who doesn’t believe in evolution just to keep the Democrats from having 60 votes.
– New Yorker Bob Kerrey on new Senator Scott Brown (R-MA)
Scott Brown believes in evolution but in the case of Bob Kerrey he’s willing to make an exception.
– The Brown campaign, in reply to Kerrey
Senator Nelson’s actions (i.e. the Cornhusker Kickback) specifically hurt Coakley who was forced to backtrack on her opposition to the abortion restriction amendment.
– Massachusetts Dem Senate candidate blaming Nelson for her loss
[Ben Nelson’s abortion language was] only an ‘accounting procedure’ that will do nothing to restrict [abortion] coverage…
– Senator Barbara Boxer (D-CA)
Congress should not force the American people to step in front of a bus to avoid a freight train.
– Mike Johanns
Give Ben the Boot
– Nebraska Republican Party, after the Cornhusker Kickback
I’m not going to stand here and hear that I didn’t stand my ground, because I believe I did.
– Nelson, to a Pro-Life crowd on his caving to ObamaCare.
Nebraska’s Sen. Ben Nelson, scheduled to receive honors for his pro-hunter work, was a no-show at SCI, and when his name was mentioned, the crowd booed.
– story on a Reno, Nevada hunter event
The deal now known as the “Cornhusker Kickback” may have been one of the biggest blunders in modern political history.
– TIME magazine
Nelson later joined (California Senator Barbara) Boxer at her end of Reid’s office, greeting the Californian with a big hug.
– Washington Post, on the backroom deal for ObamaCare
I can stand the heat, so I’m staying in the kitchen. I have no plans to hang it up in 2012.
– Ben Nelson
Smart, confident, organized, soft-spoken.
– Don Walton, on Gov candidate Mark Lakers
Street Sweeper sounds like the name of a Dickens character. Imagine some guy in black wearing a stovetop lid and carrying a broom.
– Don Walton
This trillion-dollar tragedy is just bad medicine.
– Lee Terry, on the the newly passed ObamaCare
…hold a special place in your memory for Mr. Nelson, without whom none of this would be possible.
– Wall St. Journal on the passage of ObamaCare
He’s a popular person. Yet, a Presidential return in late Fall offers Obama little serenity.
– intro to Leavenworth Street’s post about the President unveiling the Ben Nelson statue
Greta: Who came up with the idea that $100 million would go to Nebraska (for the Cornhusker Kickback)? Was that your idea?
Nelson: I think it was the idea — someone’s idea to put it in.
Nelson: There were various people involved at various times.
– FOX News’ Greta Van Susteren interviewing Ben Nelson
In Nelson’s case, the cost was one hundred million dollars.
– PBS Documentary on backroom dealing for ObamaCare, and the Cornhusker Kickback
Business as usual is not the business we like, and all those back room deals for Nebraska and others it’s just wrong and we can do better!
– Massachusetts Senator Scott Brown
Jane, I asked a few questions about your new project you call that “hating” – you might want to reread your post about civility.
– Democrat Committeeman Vince Powers, to Bold Nebraska’s Jane Kleeb on Facebook
(Part 2 coming at Noon today – Wednesday)