Nebraska Governor Dave Heineman is forming an exploratory committee to run for President of the United States. Leavenworth Street has learned that Heineman will make the announcement that he is launching the committee within the next ten days.
His former campaign manager and mastermind of the Tom Osborne upset, Carlos Castillo, will get things moving for the Iowa Caucuses, and they will look to expand for New Hampshire and beyond.
The two and a half term Republican Governor is term-limited and will be out of office, in any case, by 2014. So frankly, why not. Consider this:
- is a very popular Republican Governor
- is Vice-Chair of the National Governor’s Association — and has political ties throughout the country
- is a graduate of West Point and the Army Airborne Ranger schools — to help flesh out his military bona fides
- was a Capitol Hill staffer, so he knows the Washington sets
- beat the most popular figure in the state (former Nebraska football coach Tom Osborne) to become Governor — so he knows what it’s like to come out of nowhere and take on Goliath.
But here is the best part for Heineman: Currently, Goliath is no where to be seen.
Who is Heineman afraid of? Daniels? Trump? Bachman?
Heck, Heineman lives RIGHT NEXT DOOR to Iowa. A trip there takes him a few hours round trip. He can do that without expending much energy at all.
And if it doesn’t work out for him? Feh. He goes back to Lincoln and enjoys his job.
But if it does, Heineman can take the common sense, good governance and conservative credentials nationwide and sweep ‘em off their feet.
Americans are looking for competence right now. Their crush on Barack Obama has passed. They want their house in order now that the party is over.
Dave Heineman may just be the man to do it.
We will look forward to watching this as it unfolds.
As it turns out, we are now learning that the announcement of Governor Dave’s exploratory committee by us may have been premature. We are not saying it is NOT going to happen…but well…
Try this: Take the first letter of each word in the caption of the photo above (minus the parenthetical) and see what you get.
Have a great weekend and Go Jays!