Red shoe diaries

Before the Links of the Day, because he is in the news again, a flashback to…

State Auditor Mike Foley’s infamous “Mullet Suit“.  Business up top, Party downstairs…

• More bests and worsts and mosts from the debate, via LA Times.

And thanks again for buying your Amazon.com stuff (that you were going to buy anyway, at no additional cost) via L.St.’s Amazon links! We greatly appreciate your clickage!

1. So the people in the ConAgra ‘scandal’ got fed a free meal, then had the nerve to bitch about it?! I can’t help but think about all the folks in this country who are going hungry right now, and these pretentious p***ies sit there complaining with their mouths full. Disgusting.

2. Ted says:

Grundle King, should every restaurant reviewer also preface their column with their thankfulness for a free meal? ConAgra wanted a review of their food, and that’s what they got.

3. RWP says:

The impression I came away with is that these food bloggers are morons. For example…

“We discussed with the group the sad state of chemical-filled foods,” wrote Lon Binder. “And yet, you still fed me the exact thing I said I did not want to eat.” (Among the ingredients in the lasagna: sodium nitrate, BHA, BHT, disodium inosinate and disodium guanylate.)

Every component of the food you eat is a chemical. Of these listed, disodium inosinate and disodium guanylates are natural components of every plant and animal food you eat. You get far more in your diet than the tiny amount added as ‘flavor enhancers’. Nitrate is a common component of everyone’s diet and in fact vegetarians get more of it than omnivores because of its higher concentration in vegetables. It might actually be good for your heart.

The BHA and BHT might be problematic. But the point is that talking about ‘chemicals’ in food marks one as an ignoramus. It’s all chemicals.

That’s weird that all of us decided to click that link this early in the morning and came away with the same impression: these people need to get over themselves. I realize that their mothers serve this stuff to them every night of the week and so they might be sick of it, but still.

RWP, I get a kick out of people wanting “all-natural” food. All-natural? Like nature is good? Mother Nature is a b****. She’s trying to kill us every minute of every day.

5. Roger Snowden says:

From the OWH article on Heidel, “I am a non-ideological deficit hawk..”

Anyone who claims to be non-ideological, has an ideology they don’t want you to know about.

I generally like Mike Foley, but he is grandstanding now. If he wanted to do so real investigating he would find how the “Government” workers in HHS have been working against the success of the efforts by the contractors. He would have had the courage to look into how the requirements for the contract were screwed up from the start and the true costs of helping the children in the OLD GOVERNMENT manner were hidden.

Bottom line is there are problems, but the truth to be disclosed as to what the underlying causes of the problems is that the contract requirements were skewed and now we have a mess on our hands and children not getting the services they need.

If a contract’s performance isn’t up to par look at how it was written and who wrote it. Bunch of freaking government workers trying to protect their kingdom.

7. RWP says:

Macdaddy:

Way back when, Bruce Ames, father of a classic test to determine carcinogenicity under natural conditions, wrote a magnificent review article in Science about all the toxins in ‘natural’ foods. You came away with the impression that a diet of refined high-fructose corn syrup and MSG really wasn’t as bad as you thought.

Native Americans had organic diets and the best they could hope for was 30 years of age. But at least they weren’t poisoned with artificial colors and flavors!

I think Mike Foley should be commended for having the guts to dig into the giant who is out of control with spending and waste.

10. Ted, yes…the reviewers SHOULD be more thankful that their job allows them to eat for free, then turn around and bitch about what they just ate. Then again, I think the whole idea of ‘food critics’ is totally inane. I decide what tastes good to me, I don’t need to be told by someone that I should or shouldn’t like the food I eat.