Say again, Senator?

Senator Ben Nelson (you know, the Cornhusker Kickback guy) has a newer version of his TV ad up on the Nebraska Democrats’ YouTube page. See it here:

Note that Nelson said:

I approved this message to stop any plan that weakens Social Security or Medicare.

Uh, well, then Senator maybe you should talk to your buddy Senator John (“Why the long face?”) Kerry.

Here, you can hear Kerry specifically note on Meet the Press on Sunday that when Ben Nelson was the deciding vote for ObamaCare, they cut $500 Billion (that’s “B” Billion) from Medicare:

For you lazybonz who can’t click the YouTuber, Kerry said,

“We just cut $917 billion dollars without one dime of new revenue. He knows it. We just did it. We cut $550 billion in the health care act from Medicare.”

His poll numbers tell you that no matter how many millions the Democrat Senatorial Campaign Committee drops in the pockets of the Nebraska TV stations, the voters aren’t buying Ben Nelson’s schtick.

They remember his deciding vote for ObamaCare.
They remember his vote for the Porkulus Stimulus.
And they remember the Cornhusker Kickback.

But other than the blatant lies and misleading statements, we sort of like the photostrip ad thing. So there’s that.

In the “yeah, we’ve heard this many times already” department (right next to men’s wear and hats), National Journal’s Hotline put the Nebraska Senate race as the #2 most likely to flip parties next November.

(FYI, they’ve got North Dakota #1.)

And the funny thing is, that’s based on ANY of the top three candidates taking the nomination.

But again, you probably already knew all that…

OK, here is where we’d like your assistance.

From time to time we get contacted by students (usually college aged) who want the inside beef on what’s happening politically in Nebraska and yadda yadda yadda.

Well, we received a multiple part question from this student about Nebraskans and their GOP Presidential preferences. So we are going to put those Qs out to you, and ask that you throw your $.02 in the comments section.

We are still going to answer back as we see fit, but thought it would be interesting to get your input. So here goes:

1. Is there a general consensus about a GOP Presidential candidate that you get from your readers?
  2. Which candidate do you think is the current frontrunner in Nebraska?
  3. What attributes of this candidate make him or her the frontrunner?
  4. Are Nebraskans attracted to Herman Cain more than other candidates because of his Nebraska ties?
  5. Have the sexual allegations against Cain swayed Nebraskans away from him?
  6. Because the Nebraska primary is so late, do you think Nebraskans will be influenced by the results of other primaries or stick to their preferred candidate? (For example, do you think Nebraskans would choose a more moderate frontrunner so they feel like their vote will count rather than voting for a preferred more conservative candidate?)

So there ya go. Dive in on any and all (number your responses so we can follow along).

Hopefully you’ll give some great comments and our student here will get something better than a C+.  You know, considering we’re doing the majority of the work…

But you know what’s not work?  What’s mostly just plain old good times?

Black Friday Week deals at Amazon.com, that’s what!

Seriously, you should look at some of these before you head out to Walmart in a tryptophan stupor on Thanksgiving night.  And hey, when you purchase something via our links, Leavenworth Street gets a little love back from you (always anonymously).

Thanks and thanks to everyone who has already clicked!

1. Lil Mac says:

“Voters aren’t buying Ben Nelson’s schtick.” You got all that from poll numbers? We can hope you are right. But Americans hoped for Obama and look what that got us. Numbers can change quickly. EBN knows his tactics. Like I said, telling a lie often enough gives it weight. Nelson need only sway the least attentive, least politically wise. Like it or not, representative democracy often boils down to the deciding swing votes being cast by the most apathetic nose-picking idiots who vote. .. YOU remember his deciding vote for ObamaCare. YOU remember his vote for the Porkulus Stimulus. YOU remember the Cornhusker Kickback… but will THEY?

Recommend don’t stick a fork in this guy until he’s cooked all the way through.

2. Vernon J says:

I ran into John Ewing’s 55 & had a good conversation with her.

I hinted that maybe John should run for Senate in-case Ben doesn’t run.

I’d be okay with that.

YES I’m basis, I’m pulling for Lee Terry to serve another term.

3. RWP says:

Is there a general consensus about a GOP Presidential candidate that you get from your readers?M

My current preferences are (1) Gingrich (2) Romney

Which candidate do you think is the current frontrunner in Nebraska?

Probably Romney. But with the primary so late, who cares?

What attributes of this candidate make him or her the frontrunner?

(1) Ability to beat Obama
    (2) Ability to beat Obama
    (3) Ability to beat Obama

I had no idea he owned Nebraska ties. Do they have Chimney Rock on them?

Have the sexual allegations against Cain swayed Nebraskans away from him?

The 10% who are actually stupid enough to fall for a MSM witch hunt, sure.

There may be no choice. Last time it was McCain against Paul. I voted for Paul, mostly as a protest.

it will be down to the nominee plus Ron Paul again.

4. Some Thoughts says:

Totally agree with RWP except for one thing: I do think at least some Nebraskans like the fact that Herman Cain has Nebraska ties. His sex-harassment scandal also reminds us of another sex-harassment scandal of a distinguished public official with Nebraska ties, and we think that guy worked out pretty well on the Supreme Court, so maybe we’re not so keen to buy the latest allegations.

5. Some Thoughts,
    I assume you are referring to that lump that sits silently on the SCOTUS, the one with the wife that seems to have some questionable financial shenanigans going on? Do you really think THAT worked out pretty well? Geez, maybe we could get some more Supreme Court justices that are as intellectually vibrant as that guy and we could just finalize the re-feudalization of our nation, hammer on our own shackles, and be happy for the crumbs that über-wealthy will let us have.

I was so sad to read in the paper about that 15 year old boy that committed suicide who had been taunted and bullied. That has strengthened my resolve to stop the kind harassment and intimidation that Lisa Hannah and a number of other women have endured.

7. Still at it gutless wonder? What of the bullying that Lisa Hannah committed against the entire 3rd CD’s Democrats? She’s supposed to get a free ride just because she’s a woman?
    The more I think about it, I am assuming you are her. I’ve heard you moved out of the state. Why are you still stalking people here?

8. RWP says:

BTO;

You are dead wrong about Clarence Thomas. He is anything but a lump; in fact, he has written some of the most definitively libertarian opinions on the court.

As far as his wife goes; he is not responsible for what she does, nor she him. I would not expect the wife of a supreme court justice to retire from public life.

RWP, how can an educated person support someone who was just quoted as saying:

The Congressional Budget Office is a reactionary socialist institution which does not believe in economic growth, does not believe in innovation, and does not believe in data that it has not internally generated.

10. NSEA Plants says:

The Couple at the table in the Nelson ad are Liz and Roger Rea Longtime teachers union hacks. Ben Nelson sure knows how to astroturf.

11. Anonymostly says:

So, last week, despicable anonymous cowards were exploiting the human suffering of young boys in Pennsylvania in order to score some cheap political points against Republicans on this blog. Today, a despicable anonymous coward is exploiting the recent suicide of a high school kid from Lincoln in order to further a very lame and long-since-run-its-course personal attack on Bryan Osborne. Geez, person, you really lowered the bar on yourself.

12. Reality Check says:

BTO, if your stalker really is who you think it is, how can you possibly call her a “gutless” wonder? O contrair mon frer.

13. RWP says:

Hey, AC @12:30, perhaps if you pointed out what specifically you object to, we could talk.

The only disputable part of what he said was calling the CBO ‘socialist’, which is a slight stretch.

The idea that there is only one person attacking Brian anonymously and only one person who is sick of his destructive, sociopathic behavior is funny. Anonymostly, you have no idea the extent of abusive behavior BTO has taken part in. I don’t know anyone in the entire state Democratic party who has any respect for him or speaks well of him.

Well as one of the many anon’s on this board who is a right of center type, I appreciate BTO’s comments. I don’t often agree but I do like the point of view, the demeanor, and general good thought he puts into his comment usually. I can see why the NDP doesn’t like him, like the GOP doesn’t like Haggle. It is also easy to pick out his liberal detractors on this board too. I for one would be much more concerned with what BTO had to offer IF he were in a position of leadership within the NDP. If that were the case there would be more than 14 regiaterd D’s in the Legislature, and perhaps even one or two holding state wide office a. However that just isn’t the case now is it:-) So I suppose you libs who are bad mouthing BTO should keep doing what your doing as it is working so well as it is.

Sorry BTO, but until you can get a ground game going where you back some county party reps, where there are none now, you might cause a stir in the NDP.

16. Anonymostly says:

Anonymous attacker of Brian Osborn, I feel no particular fondness for Brian (nor any particular malice); instead, I read his posts and let them stand on their own merit. Which means, generally, I disagree with them. With that said, I think it’s childish for you to continue to follow him around on this board and stalk him over this personal vendetta of yours. And I think it’s beneath contempt that you would associate your “cause” with the suicide of that young man in Lincoln. That’s just crass. And here’s something else — by your conduct on here, you’ve lowered yourself to the level you’re accusing Brian of occupying. Congratulations. You’re now no better than he.

Anonymostly, I don’t give a @#$% what you think. Go ahead and defend a sociopath if you want, you are oblivious to what he is and what he’s done. Why don’t you click on the link to his name and read his blog and his worldview of himself. He states himself his motivation in life is to attack, attack, attack. Read his post “On becoming a Disgruntled Democrat”. That in his own words should tell you enough about this guy. There’s not 1 person who supports him is this fantasy quest of his.

18. As for the insane rambling of my LS stalker, please DO read my blog (just click on my name above) – I think I’ll start a little expose’ tomorrow on the NDP to make my case against its current, and past administrations. After having been involved deeply within the NDP for more than four years, I believe I have a unique perspective on how corrupt its leadership has been. I don’t intend for it to ever become a site that competes with Leavenworth Street (the most fair of all of Nebraska’s political blogs) but perhaps it will spare you all the pain of having to put up with my unusually lengthy diatribes. Since it will serve only to voice my opinions, and the facts as I perceive them, I think I’ll turn off comments. That way my stalker will just have to rant elsewhere, as I will no longer be responding to her senseless rants here on LS anymore. Maybe she’ll be more welcome over on NNN.

19. I read this today from Republican Presidential candidate, Ron Paul: “You can at least let sick people have marijuana because it’s helpful,” Paul said. “But the compassionate conservatives say, well we can’t do this, we’re going to put people who are sick and dying with cancer and are being helped with marijuana if they have multiple sclerosis — the federal government is going in there and overriding state laws and putting people like that in prison.”
    I think Ron Paul just earned my vote. After all, at least HE is doing what the NDP leadership has FAILED to do, despite its direction from the NDP’s “supreme governing body.”

20. Getting back on track … To answer Sweeper’s survey:
    1. It depends on who most recently tripped over their own tongue while answering questions.
    2. Gingrich (but see the above answer)
    3. Flavor of the day.
    4. Nope. Nebraskans prefer Valentino’s pizza.
    5. Nope. Nebraskans only concerned about who might be doing their own spouse, or whose spouse THEY might be doing.
    6. It doesn’t matter a bit how Nebraskans vote in their primaries. Never has, probably never will. And as for the NDP holding caucuses for a race with one candidate? Political onanism!