FLASH: Nelson retiring!

Politico is reporting that Nebraska Senator Ben Nelson is retiring.

And they add this nugget:

Republicans are expected to pick up control of the Cornhusker State seat, although popular former Sen. Bob Kerrey (D) has been talking to top Democrats about possibly running again.

They meant “…Kerrey (D-NY)…”.

More later.

1. Reginald VelJohnson says:

How will this affect Leavenworth Street readership? We need to keep Ben around to kick him a bit. The D’s are going extinct!

2. RWP says:

I’m looking forward to writing about all the interesting courses they’ve been teaching at the New School while Bob Kerrey has been boss man there.

It’s not just that he’s been a Noo Yawkah, it’s that he’s been running a university in New York that’s far left even by New York standards. Some of that stuff probably isn’t going to play well back here, where our flagship school fudges the name of the gay-lit course so parents don’t know their kiddies are taking it.

3. Kortezzi says:

Christmas comes just 2 days late!

I must admit I’m surprised the Benator will allow the Republicans to claim he was scared out of running.

Guess the temptations of retirement (running his turkey farm!) were just too much…

Adios Nellie!

Good ridance to the old gas bag. Lets see if he has a shred of decency while watching his last months in office. Don’t hold your breath though.

Now what does Dave do? Does Dave wait to see what cosmic bob does, or does he run anyway? Who do the D’s put up for sacrafice, Heath Mello? Hehehehehehee

5. Lizzie says:

I am breaking my self-imposed media fast to wish Sweeps a belated Merry Christmas and a Blessed New Year and…

to say to benji:

GOOD RIDDANCE, YOU BIG OMABACARE-ENABLING DORK!

And to Janiepants: Hahaha, see you in sixty or less.

6. RWP says:

First nugget: Bob Kerrey’s New School just came out with a study attacking 401(k) plans, saying that they impede the economy and get in the way of gummint run retirement programs.

Their news release is mis-spelled, of course. “Social Security helps to reign in the economy”. Dumbasses.

Quoting “SCHWARTZ CENTER FOR ECONOMIC POLICY ANALYSIS (SCEPA)
    SCEPA works to focus the public economics debate on the role government can and should play in the real productive economy – that of business, management, and labor – to raise living standards, create economic security, and attain full employment.”

Kinda socialist, don’t ya think?

So, which suckers are going to waste everyone’s money to get the Dem nomination? Scott Kleeb? Jane Kleeb? The Goob? Mayor Suttle? Tom White? I bet Gwen Howard is kicking herself that she already kicked off her Congressional bid. If Bob Kerrey is thinking of pulling a Hillary, he will probably find things a little tough going, but he may be the only bona fide candidate they have. Ben Nelson has done more to gut the Democrat party in Nebraska than any Republican could hope to.

8. NE Voter says:

In my view, this pretty much assures that Heineman gets in the race. No way he’s going to stand back and watch Bruning take the seat. Heineman really dislikes Bruning. Nothing would make him happier than snatching the prize away from Bruning.

9. Biily says:

I didn’t think he would do it, I thought he was to addicted to the power and senate barbershop, I would like to “see Jane run”

10. Kortezzi says:

Why would Heinemann want to get into the Senate race? His gig in Lincoln runs through 2014 and he truly seems to like it. Though he’s term limited after that, he’s played his cards right for a possible Romney cabinet post or ambassadorship. If he’s as anti-Bruning as some say, we’re more likely to see a simple endorsement by Heinemann for Stenberg or Fischer than for Dave himself to join the already-crowded GOP field.

Nelson truly has punched his own party in the gut with this tease act the last year, and his wasting of national Democrat campaign funds.

RUN JANE RUN!
    Sure would love to see THAT…

11. DemaLot says:

I think that Chris Pierce should run…he has been awol for a while and we need someone running that will make the race fun….

12. Some Thoughts says:

Wow, I am truly shocked that Nelson is retiring! I thought there was no way he’d be spending so much effort going out fundraising if he wasn’t serious about staying in office. From the Democratic perspective, he’s crazy not to run unless he really is just sick of being in Washington and wants to retire and relax. Who do the Democrats even have to mount a serious challenge? The only one I can think of is Chris Beutler, unless someone from the business community decides to step in.

13. I guess those really were issue ads says:

I think Nelson’s retirement just proves how afraid the Republicans were of facing him because, like, he would have won had he decided to run because, well, just because, and the fact that so many Republicans were scrambling to run against him just shows fear. Total fear. Those fraidy cat Republicans. Scads of ’em angling to run against Ben is just proof, PROOF I say, of how afraid the Republicans were of a fight for the Senate. Cowards, the lot of them.

While Ben Nelson, on the other hand, has bravely run away.

(Here’s where I would post a link — is such things were permitted — of the youtube clip from Monty Python’s Holy Grail where Brave Sir Robin turned about and gallantly he chickened out, bravely taking to his feet he beat a very brave retreat …)