Is Bob Kerrey in a legal home?

We received some interesting information this afternoon, so we are going to post it now and will follow up with more information when we have it.

We have been told that the “Guest House” that Bob Kerrey is calling his “home” under his voter registration filing and his official Senate candidacy filing, may be zoned R-1, residential, 1 family occupant.

In other words, Jay Noddle may not be able to legally have a guest house on this plot, we have been told.

If that is the case, then it throws an interesting question into the whole, “Where does Bob Kerrey live” issue. If Jay Noddle cannot legally have Bob Kerrey live in a structure on his property, can Bob Kerrey call it his residence?

Kerrey has stated over and over that he planned to live in Noddle’s Guest House. But if Noddle cannot legally offer that location for Kerrey to live, how can Kerrey list it as his residence? It calls into the question before the court, “Where can Bob Kerrey live, and what did he intend?”

We have a feeling any Democrat can find their way around this whole scandal. But either the residency rules matter, or they don’t.

It is another support wall in the Bob Kerrey Nebraska residency house of cards that is a butterfly’s wing-flap away from tumbling.

**UPDATE at 8:25pm**

As noted on the MSM sites, District Judge Burns ruled against the Nebraska GOP.
Shocked we are. (sarcasm alert)

Well, maybe now Kerrey can go back to his home at the Guest House at Jay Noddle’s compound, and plan out how he hopes to solve Global Warming by raising taxes, in PEACE.

A statement from NEGOP Chair Mark Fahleson on their FB page:

“The very integrity of Nebraska’s election laws is at stake. As a result, we promptly filed notice of an appeal to the Nebraska Court of Appeals this evening. Nebraska law should govern Nebraska elections. It’s undisputed that under Nebraska law Bob Kerrey’s false statements disqualify him from our ballot. We look forward to a higher court applying Nebraska law to a candidate claiming to reside in Nebraska.”

And when we asked, Fahleson noted this to us (this is where we would scream, Exclusive!)

“The fraility of the Judge’s opinion is demonstrated by, among other things, his reliance NOT on a Nebraska court decision, but on a decision from the liberal 9th Circuit Court of Appeals–the most overturned federal circuit court in the nation.

The judge’s conclusion–that is, that sworn falsehoods on Nebraska voter registration forms do not matter–is just plain wrong. You expect such things in New York, but not Nebraska.”

**UPDATE 9:05pm**

The NEGOP has already filed an appeal to Judge Burns’s ruling.

And, FWIW, this ruling was made by a judge who

• actively campaigned for Ben Nelson in 1990,
  • was later appointed to the bench by Ben Nelson, and
  • whose daughter is a law partner of Democratic Party Chair Vic Covalt.

Which is fine.

And which isn’t to say that the NEGOP will find a court that agrees with their position. But an interesting road Bob Kerrey has led the State of Nebraska down…

1. RWP says:

Is that a clown car parked outside the guesthouse?

How frickin hard would it have been to rent an apartment? Heck, there might even have been a few landlords willing to waive the background check.

2. The Truth says:

Noddle lives on Frances, the guesthouse is on Mullen Rd. The DC assessor web site has them taxed separately as two different lots. Kerry is not in violation.

Nice try, now lets debate the facts and stop throwing mud

Who ever wrote this story and took those photos sounds like a stalker too me. If this was 1992 and Bob Kerrey was running for President the Secret Service would be more than willing to to talk to the above stalker. It just shows you how sick some people can get. Do you plan on offering his 10 year old son some candy to find out what Bob Kerrey watches on tv?

4. RWP says:

Who ever wrote this story and took those photos sounds like a stalker too me.

Mr Google has gone too* far this time! Issue a warrant!

(Or is that ‘to far’?)

5. The aerial photo is from Mr. Bing Maps. The ground level photo, however was Mr. Kerry’s stalker as no Google Street Level nor Bing Streetside imagery has been taken inside of what obviously is a gated community. So, Mr. RWP, was it you doing the stalking? Do you know who did it?

6. Hmm. Photo of the mailbox (which was specifically put in for Kerrey’s new “residence”) taken from the street = too invasive, but shot taken OVER the house = totally cool. Got it.

Hey Bob Kerrey, with his four different residences in a day and a half, brought this issue to the fore, not us. We just happen to think think the visuals help.

7. Lil Mac says:

I think Kerrey will probably beat this residency rap in court. But if it generates a mountain of press reminding voters that he just came back from a decade in NYC – not serving in war, not serving in DC, but serving himself in NYC — whose fault is that? Kerrey has been mucking with this race for months. He’s not new to any of this. Republicans weren’t driving him from his sister’s house to a hotel to a “guest house”. That term… guest. While Kerrey’s “I’m home” ads are pretty good, he cannot afford to appear to voters to be just passing through out of rude expediency. And a court battle over oath and residency? He’s a lawyer, he knows this stuff and he walked straight into it. -Do you think he’s not serious? Is he doing this because he’s bored? In that case, he’s doing no favors for Nebraskans or the NDP. Real Nebraska Dems were elbowed aside for Kerrey and he’s acting like he’s half asleep. He is still a powerful candidate. But there is something new and snotty about him that isn’t healthy. If he ends up our Senator, I hope he wakes up and gives a s*it.

8. Don’t worry, Lil Mac. There are only about half a dozen of us Nebraska Democrats that really care about stuff like this. But Chuck says it’s OK with him, so I guess I’ll have to go with the flow. Besides, shoving all the brouhaha about Bob back in your faces is what keeps me from getting bored.

9. RWP says:

So, Mr. RWP, was it you doing the stalking? Do you know who did it?

Not me, Mr. Osborn. I barely know where Omaha is. The big city scares me.

Who’s that stalker gal-pal of yours. Lisa something or other? Ask her. Maybe she’s in a snooper-sekrit staker club.

Since Bob Kerrey won his law suit today. What is next in the GOP smear campaign? Next thing you know they will say he really did not loose his leg in combat and he faked his wounds.

When are Republicans going to realize that States rights is a joke. That Federal law trumps state law? Maybe it is time for the republicans to bring back the story Obama is a Muslim who was born in Kenya and smuggled into the USA .

12. RWP, That stalker gal to which you refer is not exactly my type. I go for gals that have intelligence, beauty, good sense, talent and know a good man when they have one … just like the one that keeps me here at home.

13. JJ says:

Cosmic Bob is kind of like Kato Kalan and that would make Jay Noddle like OJ. This is going to get very interesting! When’s the Bronco chase and who’s going to be driving and who’s going to be cowered in the back?

14. John says:

I find it interesting that this “street sweeper” character is more than willing to dig up dirt on folks but won’t reveal who he/she is. Your site is nothing but ad hominem attacks that amount to nothing. Typical Republican smear. Hope you snuggle tightly with turd blossom tonight. Give him a big kiss for all of us.

15. Bam says:

I can see this whole thing in a :30 second commercial with quick cutaways. Jet lands – Bob emerges, runs to taxi. Taxi pulls up to hotel. Bob checks in with luggage, Bob checks out with luggage. Taxi takes him to sister’s house, runs in with luggage, runs out with luggage, taxi takes him from sister’s house. Pulls up at Noddle guest house, runs luggage into house, runs out of house with mailbox and jams it into the ground. Looks up at camera, panting and grinning, and says “Hi Nebraska – I’m ‘home’!”, adding air quotes with fingers when he says “home.” Tagline: Paid for by the Nebraska Republican Party.

You could even close it with him answering his cell phone: “Hi Honey – nah, either way I’m blowing this burg in November.”

I am so very done with this Kerry guy. He was highly decorated for the good things he did a LONG TIME AGO. But in the past 15 years or so he has been a skunk. Hell the savior of the NDP can’t figure a way to get and address right. I loubt he can get much else right. He gets the 40% for sure, and maybe 4 % on to of that but thats it.

Lil Mac has it right. This will get reported in the papers all over the state and it will get reported that Kerrey is living by himself in a rich friend’s guest house, i. e., he’s a guest, not somebody who is planning on staying permanently. In the meantime, his actual family is a thousand miles away, biding their time, so that if he gets elected, they will never have to dip a toe into flyover country. I’m not sure how much it costs to file a lawsuit, but it’s probably cheaper than buying ads.

18. And I always get a kick when someone who calls himself “John” knocks this site for being anonymous. And tell us again what “dirt” we have dug up. Last time I checked, it was Bob Kerrey who was telling us about all the places he has lived recently. We just try to keep up with all of his residences.
    And thanks for reading, John.
    SS

19. Well, my name is…WAIT A MINUTE! You can’t trick me!
    Welcome to Leavenworth Street John. Want to find out about it?
    Read the last 6 years worth of posts, and you can find out everything we think.
    SS

20. John says:

Not interested, thanks. Better things to do than read brainless dribble for the next 15 minutes of my life. Good luck. If this is truly the talk of politics in Nebraska (as is claimed) then we are all in a very sad state.

21. Rob says:

This whole ballot thing is making the GOP look pretty trivial. As Al Davis would say, “just win baby!”

22. Cello Green says:

F$/; YOU John. Your a democrat so I thought you may like that song. Obama did at the White house

23. Lil Mac says:

Speaking of Johns, Kerrey used Hassebrook like a whore and a toilet (double meaning eh).

To snow Heineman out of filing, Kerrey lied about not running, Hassebrook gave up his Regents seat to run, and Kerrey used Hassebrook as bait. Kerrey went so far as to tell Hassebrook that Kerrey would give him money and help host fundraisers so Hassebrook could run for the Senate. By propping up a Hassebrook who polled out as beatable by Bruning, the GOP pressure on Heineman eased off, thus making it less worthwhile for Heineman to jump in– but the second Heineman slipped passed his early filing deadline, Kerrey slipped Hassebrook the ol’ kielbasa as Kerrey slipped in. It was political assassination, NYC style, at once impressive and horrifying.

The sanctimonious Kerrey told WOW, “I think our friendship will survive”. But Hassebrook reportedly wasn’t “sure if he’ll make the residency accusations an issue.” Kerrey raped him. If Hass gets a chance, he’ll piss on Kerrey’s political grave. “Every Nebraskan has a right to run for this office” said Hassebrook. Oh yea? Tell it to the crooked judge.

Kerrey himself speaks aloud the term “guest” as in guesthouse. That asshole –and I am paraphrasing Hassebrook now – isn’t even trying to act like he respects Nebraska voters. He bent Hassebrook over and he’s putting Nebraska voters on notice they are next. He’s moving from cosmic to pathological and it is ugly.

You’re right, John, this blog is often stupefyingly stupid! And yes, it is the talk of Nebraska politics. Indeed, you are in a very sad state: high taxes, little social value, and generous hypocrisy. And you’re right, SS. We will keep coming back. ‘Cause at least we can have our say here. Unlike the, ah, “newspapers.”

Wouldn’t it be nice, John, if we had an audience unconvinced by the Republican AND Democrat nonsensical red herrings? An audience able to think for themselves and able to realize that all this manner and method of elective brouhaha is planted to avoid examination of real issues!

25. To John says:

“Typical Republican smear.” those are your words Boldie!!! Sound like a dem to me, right Jane?

26. John says:

Agreed, TexasAnnie. Politics is supposed to be a battle of ideas and a discussion of the merits of one’s vision for the road ahead. All I get here is nonsensical nitpicking and backstabbing. The author(s) know this, too…they cater to a TMZ audience and remain anonymous because they/he/she know that they lack legitimacy.

27. John,
    Your vision of “politics” is cute.

Here, we based a little more in reality. We want the best for our country, but we are worldly enough to realize that using the words “Hope and Change!” among others, are enough to get people to dance in circles and vote for your candidate. So we talk about things like commercials, and flyers, and photos, and strategy, and what people said, and what they really meant. These are all things that affect how people vote and that in turn determines how the city and the state and the country and the world is run.
    So we discuss that stuff.
    Politics is oftentimes a bare-knuckled brawl. Don’t sit in the front row if you don’t want to get spit, sweat and popcorn remnants on you.

And you’re right, seven of the comments here have come from the same blowhardy person.

And thanks for reading.
    SS

28. John, do you have anything important to add to the conversation, or are you here to just blow off steam? I like to write on Leavenworth Street for a variety of reasons, some of them uplifting, and others maybe not so much. I use it to blow off steam, tweak the opposition’s noses, kick my own guys in the ass when they need it, and sometimes I just feel like exercising my wit. Sweeper has been very accommodating, even to an irascible old lefty grumpbucket like me, and I have to say that I’ve found myself more welcomed here than I have on any “Democratic” blog in this state. And, unlike the old NDP blog, and the NDP SCC’s top secret listserve, I’ve never been CENSORED here.
    This is Street Sweeper’s blog, he can do whatever he wants here, and he’s nice enough to allow all of his guests to say whatever they choose to. Other than cut-and-paste crap, practically anything written here, stays here. If you don’t like that, then quit coming here and smearing your own anonymous monkey poop all over the place. It stinks!

29. John, do you go down to the local coffee holes and complain about what the people there are discussing? If you did that with my group you’d be looking at the world from inside your own poop chute when they got done with you. So why are you coming here?

30. John says:

Fair enough, SS. By that logic, then, why the anonymity?! Too timid for the real spit, sweat, and blood? It’s easy to spew the venom from behind a cloak in front of a keyboard.

31. “…why the anonymity?!” said John, the cloaked Romulan.
    John, if you want to see what being open about what you believe is, take a look right above here. My name, middle initial (which stands for Thomas) and the name I got from my daddy are all there for the world to see. You aren’t famous enough to be like Madonna, or Sting, so if you want to rant about the hypocrisy of anonymity … quit being an anonymous hypocrite.

32. Some Thoughts says:

This issue of Kerrey’s residency is a joke. Fahleson embarrassed himself by bringing this complaint without evidence or legal foundation, and now he continues to embarrass himself with this talk about the “liberal 9th circuit” and “Nebraska law”. It’s political theatre and nothing more. This blog should be embarrassed for posting the “FWIW” about Judge Burns. Not “worth” scratch, that’s what. Do you have any actual evidence that his decision was motivated by partisanship? Maybe based on what he actually said in the ruling? If not, stop casting ridiculous aspersions, and cut the pretense (“that’s fine”) that you’re not casting ridiculous aspersions.

I know this is a crazy idea, but how about examining where the candidates might stand on issues that matter to Nebraskans? If Kerrey’s views make him a poor representative for Nebraska, it should be pretty easy to show that. So far, we hear only this nonsense about a guest house and some sinister intimations about war crimes. We see Republicans running scared, trying to disqualify the opponent on a technicality rather than addressing him on substance. That’s not a winning stance.

33. RWP says:

The state has a clear interest in ascertaining that it’s representatives are actually Nebraska residents. It has passed laws to ensure that. Kerrey has once again shown that the laws of Nebraska, of the United States, and of nations are not of the least consequence to him.

Does it matter that a man we entrust to write laws thinks that, if you’re rich and powerful enough, adherence to the law is optional? Duuuuuuh!

Republicans need to go read the constitution that they say they love. It says all that needs to be said about Bob Kerrey having the right to run. You see the judges have to do the correct legal thing. They don’t have time to make up shit like so many of the republicans on this site. The GOP can go all the way to the Supreme Court and it won’t change anything. It just shows that the GOP is scared of Senator Bob Kerrey. You don’t spend the type of money they are spending to knock out a push over that their fake poll said a few days ago.

35. To the idiot above. says:

Yep a pro-choice liberal is what is leading the polls here in Nebraska. Keep thinking that in November

36. John says:

Brian T Osborne: I wasn’t referring to you regarding anonymity. I was referring to Street Sweeper, the author of this site. I think it is truly telling that the author of this site remains anonymous. As for me, I’m just a commentator. I don’t have a blog or a semi-widely read public forum to express my views. If I did, I would man up and lay my cards on the table.

John, I will tell you a secret. Hopefully, this post will stay up for more than 60 seconds once I tell you. Street Sweeper’s real name is ….naw, I’m not gong to tell you. It’s too dangerous. You wouldn’t be able to handle it. Someday you’ll thank me.

Oh, and Senator, better attempts than yours have been made to find out who SS really is. Go back to New York.

38. BkDodge42 says:

@Anonymous 7:31 pm, John Gail made reference to the US Constitution Article I Section 3 that said “when elected, be an Inhabitant of that State for which he shall be chosen” But the seventeenth amendment that allowed for direct election of Senators, said “The Senate of the United States shall be composed of two Senators from each State, elected by the people thereof for six years; and each Senator shall have one vote. The electors in each State shall have the qualifications requisite for electors of the most numerous branch of the State legislatures.” The argument could be what they meant by electors, but since this is referring to Senators, electors should be referring to that. Since Nebraska only has one branch of state legislature, then Kerry would have to meet those qualifications. Don’t forget to read the entire Constitution.

39. Senator Snowplow says:

I wish these campaigns would stick to the issues. Take my campaign for instance. We never, not even once, attacked my legislative opponent or called him a carpet bagger. We let the Nebraska Democratic Party do that.

@BkDodge42, takes about 2 seconds to google or get a dictionary.
    electors plural of e·lec·tor (Noun)
    Noun:
    A person who has the right to vote in an election.

So, no, electors is not Senators. Knowledge is not that hard.

@9:49

What does this sentence mean to you? “The electors in each State shall have the qualifications requisite for electors of the most numerous branch of the State legislatures.” Why is it in the Constitution, what does it mean and how does it apply to the present situation?

Geez, it’s in plain English. If a voter is qualified to vote for a state senator, then that voter is also qualified to vote for U.S. Senator.

Well considering every Judge in the History of America has said the constitution says what the Judge said yesterday about Bob Kerrey right to run for the Senate, it must be self evident. When you have a gun that every time you pull the trigger it mis fires you get a new gun. But we can’t get a new constitution.

44. RWP wrote, “That a candidate for major office shows a propensity to lie and cheat when it’s of interest to him is most definitely an issue.”
    So why aren’t you flailing away at Jon Bruning as well?

I didn’t realize that just because the judge is disliked as leaning and may have cronies, it means you can appeal a ruling.

46. RWP says:

So why aren’t you flailing away at Jon Bruning as well?

Please elaborate. You are accusing Jon Bruning of something?