Spies, spies, everywhere a spy

Kerrey up in the air

Always fun when the “people-with-cell-phone-cameras”, which represents probably a majority of the country, fire up their devices and make like citizen journalists.

Case in point: Bob Kerrey on the way back to his election state from his home in New York City on Saturday. Nothing like complaining about your opponent’s out-of-state connections…from The Big Apple.

Quick Bob! Change back into your barn jacket!

And a final follow-up on the debate biz…

Funny how Kerrey pleaded with Deb Fischer to join him at Boys’ State, because it “‘sends just the right message’ at a time when the future of young Americans is so much at stake.”

(Oh brother. And he finished up with a few bars of, “I believe that children are our future…”)

But in nearly the same breath (they are one entity, no?), in response to the recent story about Kerrey’s The New School tenure, where the students literally revolted against him (occupying their school), Paul Johnson noted that,

“The students never really cared for Bob.”

So much for teaching them well and letting them lead the way, eh?

As we sift through the flotsam and jetsam from last week’s Senate primary, we see that Bob Kerrey is still trying to shake that Joe Ricketts vending machine to see if he can get angry-Democrat cash to fall into the hopper.

Kerrey sent out a letter to his fellow liberals complaining that Ricketts was trying to “buy” the Nebraska election. Which of course is ironic, considering that Kerrey raised 27% of his campaign money from New York City residents and only 22% from Nebraskans.

So maybe Kerrey is hoping to give New York CITY its own Senator, yeah? That would be new.

And Deb Fischer, who has a 100% Pro-Life voting record in the Nebraska Legislature, was endorsed today by the National Right to Life Committee and the Susan B. Anthony List.

This also may have had something to do with Bob Kerrey voting five times against the partial-birth abortion ban.

Probably.

1. RWP says:

It’s tough to find anyone who liked Bob at the New School. The senior faculty voted no confidence in him, 74:2. He had five provosts serve under him in his time there (and stepped in as provost himself when he couldn’t find a replacement for the fourth). The no-confidence letter from the faculty cited a “pattern characterized by unilateral, impulsive and sometimes secret decision-making” (sound familiar?). One of the provosts, Arjun Appadurai, found him “impulsive, autocratic and produced an increasing sense of fear among those who worked for him”. Or let’s ask Duncan K. Foley, Professor of Economics. “This administration’s paralysis and dysfunction has reach a tipping point.”

If you were interviewing someone for a job, and these were the evaluations from the people whom he supervised at his last employer, would you hire this person? Well, we’re interviewing someone for a job.

RWP, I think it speaks volumes when you consider the type of people that are making these comments about Kerry. These aren’t students, and while I may not agree with Liberal policies etc. I do believe that these individuals have considerable intellect. Not to mention that these department heads and other faculty members have worked for a number of bosses over the years. You know a boss is bad when you can get near unanimous agreement at the level of ineptitude of the “Boss”.

For you Libs, Kerry is so incompetent that even his own kicked him off the island of misfit toys! Now he must thin Nebraskans are really dumb to not see this. If he isn’t that dumb then there must be a back story…… Wait for it…… Oh Obama wants voter turn out in the 2nd CD! I get it, just have bobby run to drive the vote up and when he loses but Barry wins Bobby gets a nice post somewhere!!!!

3. @ Anonymostly and RWP says:

You’re making light of the leg that Mr. Kerrey lost in service of our country? Now you’re just being small minded cretins. What a pair of jerks you two are.

4. RWP says:

Thanks, SS.

In case you haven’t been paying attention, I don’t snark about disabilities, period. While I have, and have posted, serious reservations about some of Kerrey’s actions in Vietnam, his wound was unquestionably received in a legitimate military operation against armed combatants, and is unequivocally honorable.

I said it must be a pain. That was sympathy.

5. Kerry for NYC Mayor says:

What are the odds that the Omaha Warren Herald will ever look into these votes of no confidence for Kerry at the New School and report on it. I am pretty sure that had this happened to one of Kerry’s opponents, it would have been front page news by now.

6. Ikon says:

What are you Bozos on about! Sounds to me that the way Kerrey acted in NYC/NS WAS exactly PURE NEBRASKAN!! Hard Headed and MY WAY or the HIGHWAY!! Jackasses like RWP & the rest of you Nebraska JERKS should be singing praise for him because he’s a TRUE SON of the Nebraska Soil at least in his failings!!!

And another thing; You jerks bitching about how he got moderately rich using all the means available to him, should, once again sing his praise because after all, isn’t it what all you GOPERS live for? The Almighty $$$$$$$$$!!! IDIOTS!!!

7. SS Sucks says:

8. Demosthenes says:

Were Debra to mention Robert’s New School difficulties in a debate, wouldn’t that be devastating to him? So why does she fear facing him before a crowd of her potential constituents? Could it be that her total lack of knowledge in matters of foreign affairs, military issues, worldwide economics, etc. would put her in a somewhat less than glorious light?

9. @ Ikon/SSS says:

While you made some good points in your argument, you lost them all in your presentation.
    The faculty and students of New School hated Bob Kerrey because he didn’t lean far enough to the left for them and was viewed as a country bumpkin from Nebraska. Yet, upon returning to the state where he grew up, was schooled, made his money, and represented as both a Governor and a Senator, he is painted as a New York liberal.
    It just goes to show how small minded so many Nebraskans really are. Perhaps the faculty and students at New School were correct in judging us all so harshly.

It’s always a winning strategy to insult large swaths of the electorate. Keep it up you Kerrey supporters. The voters will come around to your viewpoint.

11. @ Macdaddy says:

Large swaths of the electorate are insulting, and it doesn’t matter whether they are Republicrums or Democruds. When they believe the bullshit that is spread so thickly, they deserve the representation they get.

12. @ #15,

I guess I missed the part where the New School faculty and students judged all Nebraskans. Though, even if they had, are we supposed to care? I mean seriously, if I don’t give a damn what a liberal 15 miles away thinks about me, then why in the hell should I care what a liberal 1,500 miles away thinks about me? They don’t live my life, and they don’t have my responsibilities, so why the hell should I give two sharts about what they think about me?

BTW, I would say that Ikon is off his/her meds…but I’m pretty sure they don’t make a drug to treat what he/she has…aside from ketamine.

13. RWP says:

Look, they cloned Ikon, and the average IQ of this comments section dropped another 10 points.

BTW, I wouldn’t call myself poor, but I wish I was well enough off to be able to describe someone who has an income of over 5 million a year as ‘moderately rich’.

14. RWP says:

That’s a load of shite. They hared him because he was impulsive, autocratic, secretive and impossible to work with. When it comes to running a large enterprise, nobody cares about your politics. Any of you even know Harvey Perlman’s political views?

He had 5 provosts in 10 years, and also served as provost himself for a while. That’s a pretty good indication even his hand-picked underlings found him impossible to work with.

And this guy claims he’ll reach out across the aisle! His past record indicates he won’t even be able to work with the Democrats.

15. Lil Mac says:

Agree. Kerrey’s history is how we judge him (or any candidate). What he did before is predictive of what he will do if elected. And what he did most recently was manage educators.

This is May and voters aren’t yet paying attention. They know Bob has been out of state a dozen years running a university. At some point they will need to fill in the blanks. Service = medal. Restaurants = money. Politics = liberal. Manages educators = successful? His own professors condemn him as “Unilateral, impulsive, secret, autocratic, produced… fear, (caused) paralysis and dysfunction.” Universally condemned by his own not for politics but for being a bad leader. Ouch.

Bob’s side is trying to get ranchers to hold Fischer to account for her last dozen years of ranching. At some point, her side will simply post Bob’s report card from his own professors showing a dozen years of Kerrey hurting the very thing he was supposed to be leading.

Ranchers already embrace Fischer as a successful rancher. What voter will embrace Kerrey for being inept in his last executive job?

16. Interested Observer says:

Lil Mac, could you please explain “Ranchers already embrace Fischer as a successful rancher.”? What do you mean? On what do you base this remark, conception rates, weaning weights, tons per acre of hay production, thousands of acres of free grazing on public land? What exactly?

17. Lil Mac says:

Sure. Happy to oblige. — Data shows few groups are as politically homogeneous as Nebraska ranchers. They are damn near all Republicans and rather conservative. And they already voted for Fischer in droves, far more than did urban Republicans. It is the 20,000 rural beef producers in Nebraska, ranchers themselves, who have the most skin-in-the-game who should supposedly be pissed off at the fact that Fischer is among a few big ranchers who have permits to graze under the federal grazing program. Kerrey’s people are pushing this. And that might makes sense, except that that metro voters will have a hard time getting fired up over cow stuff if rural voters don’t.

For rural voters, this isn’t some esoteric exercise in logic. This is personal. Fischer is a rancher from Valentine. Rural Nebraska voters feel acutely crapped on by metro snobs, be they GOP or Dem.

Imagine trying to get Omaha blacks to vote against Obama for his slave owing white half. To rural voters, Fischer is one of their own. She is a big rancher making money at ranching. Trying to stab her on that only reminds rural Nebraskans that she is like them and that New York Bob isn’t.

18. Anonymostly says:

Oh, joy, Demosthenes, the king of the straw man argument, has found our lovely little community here on Leavenworth Street. My day just got brighter.

And who’s getting their panties in a bunch over me asking about Kerrey going through TSA screening? Geez, it’s a simple, little question. The thought of Kerrey flying since 9/11 hadn’t occurred to me until I see a photo of him in an airport on this very blog post and it occurs to me that getting through TSA screening must be an unusual experience for someone with a prosthetic leg. Nothing more to it than that. Wasn’t “making light” of anything. Some people like he or she at post #6 need to grow thicker skins.

19. Anonymostly says:

Yeah, what Lil Mac said. Plus the weaning weights I’ve heard are pretty good. But is that creep or no-creep? Makes a difference. Perhaps Interested Observer can do some investigative reporting for us and let us know whether the Fischer Ranch’s weaning weights are artificially bolstered by creeping.

Deb should agree to some kitchen table debates. They could take turns debating at each other’s kitchen tables. Deb’s table in Valentine, Kerrey’s table in Upper East West Side Village or wherever the hell he lives in NYC.

21. Interested Observer says:

OK, I just checked. If by “creep” you mean supplemental feeding of grain in creep feeders to the calves, then the Sunny Slope Ranch does not and has not for several years creep fed their calves prior to weaning. My source stated that today, with $7 corn, locally, most ranchers in the Valentine area do not currently creep feed their calves. I do not creep my calves and have not for many, many years, due to the cost, but I have to pay my own way.

22. Anonymostly says:

RWP, I don’t know a ton about it and I haven’t done the research you’ve done but, in fairness to Cosmic Bob, I think the reasons the students hated him were different than the reasons the faculty hated him. I remember reading in the paper the reactions of New School students to the news that their University President had killed people in Vet Nam. As I recall, they all (most) felt that piece of info was something they couldn’t reconcile with the kind of ultra-liberal, anti-war, anti-military educational institution they believed they were attending and that, no matter how distant in time those events were nor how much he might regret them now, they could not accept a former warrior as their University President.

Now, the faculty’s reasons might very well have been more substantive and justified, but I think the students were just acting like knee-jerk leftists during a period of leftist hostility towards our military intervention in Iraq.

23. Interested Observer says:

Now Lil Mac, please remember that the voters in the Kennedy Precinct in Cherry County, which is the western part of Deb’s ranch and includes her immediate neighbors on west along the south side of Merritt Dam, voted Bruning over Fischer by an overwhelming vote of 7 for Bruning and only 5 for Deb. She didn’t even carry her own neighborhood at the ranch.

It has recently been accepted in the 43rd District that there may very well be more teachers in the district than there are resident, owner/operators of ranches. Many of the long time, old ranches in this area have been bought up by outside investors who don’t live here and don’t vote here.

It has also been accepted that there may be more health care workers in the 43rd District than there are owner/operators of ranches.

Remember that the 3rd Congressional District now includes, for all intents and purposes, most of the state, excluding the far eastern parts and the Omaha and Lincoln metropolitan areas. I don’t consider the average person from Grand Island or Columbus or Hastings or York to be a “rancher”, nor part of any particular voting block.

Also, many of us out here in the Valentine area normally try to use a little respect for the people we visit with and normally don’t use synonyms of waste in our normal, every day language unless we’re out back of the barn loading it in a wagon.

24. Interested Observer says:

Anonymostly, actually, my IQ is quite high and I don’t consider myself to be stupid. I was making a specific statement with that remark.

Also, as I recall from forage classes at UNL, grazing CAN be creep feeding. The researchers installed creep panels as gates to allow the non-weaned calves to walk thru the creep panels and graze in a new, fresh area that the cows did not have access to. The results showed those calves had much higher weaning weights than the control group of calves who were only allowed to graze in the pastures with their mothers.

25. Anonymostly says:

So, IO, what you’re saying is that Deb Fischer uses creep panels in her leased pasture land in the McKelvie Forest to allow calves access to fresh areas of McKelvie Forest range land that the cows would not have access to. You KNOW this, right? Otherwise, you’ve just made a liar out of yourself.

You’re the one who defined what “creeping” means and you’re the one who claimed Deb Fischer has creeped her calves in the McKelvie Forest all of her adult life. So, unless she’s used creep panels in the McKelvie Forest to allow calves to graze in fresh pasture, then you were lying about Deb when you said “Deb does creep her calves at the public feed bunk and has her entire adult life.”

26. Anonymostly says:

More horrors from the Democrat war on women. According to statistics gathered and reported today in the Washington Free Beacon, Senate Democrats are in violation of the spirit of the Lilly Leadbetter Fair Pay Act. Tsk, tsk. “[Washington Dem. Sen. Patty] Murray, who has repeatedly accused Republicans of waging a “war a women,” is one of the worst offenders. Female members of Murray’s staff made about $21,000 less per year than male staffers in 2011, a difference of 35.2 percent.” But it’s even worse in Diane Feinstein’s office where women make 41% less than their male counterparts. Just awful. When will Democrats end their war on women?

27. RWP says:

Bad news, Sweeper. ‘Ronaldo’ has outed himself as a common-or-garden Lincoln ambulance chaser.

Evidently he wants to be second assistant grand imperial kleagle in some local whack job political club.

I’m so glad to continually get phone calls from Ron Paul’s campaign, under the guise of a ‘poll’

29. Interested Observer says:

Anonymostly, it should have been clear to ANYONE that my statement, “Now, if you mean “creep” to include welfare grazing on McKelvie National Forest, that is another matter entirely. In that context, YES, Deb does creep her calves at the public feed bunk and has her entire adult life.” was deliberately rhetorical, for deliberate effect.

Can we now please get past calling me stupid, my comments absurd and me a liar?

30. There is something Fishy about that Deb Fischer. Can one conservative on this blog come up with one true thing to talk about? I doubt it. One big red desert of conservative regression, that’s the 3rd district.