Bob Kerrey: You know me

In Friday’s debate, Democrat Bob Kerrey uttered the following line.

I’m still Bob Kerrey. You know me.

Oh my, do we ever Bob. Do we ever.

You’re the guy who who voted with the Democrats 92% of the time.
You’re the guy who is in favor of ObamaCare.
You’re the guy who actually wants a single-payer health care system.
You’re the guy who favors Cap and Trade.
You’re the guy who voted against the partial birth abortion ban.
You’re the guy who had to confer with Harry Reid in Washington before you moved to Nebraska to run.

You’re the guy who is a Democrat, who voted like a Democrat and who, if given the chance, will continue to vote like a Democrat.

Yeah, we’re familiar with you Bob.
But thanks for reminding us.

And that, frankly, is all you need to take from Friday’s debate. Kerrey did exactly what we expected he would do: He picked one issue of Fischer’s, called it “outrageous”, and then tried to hammer her with it throughout the debate. Except his attack on the Balanced Budget Amendment didn’t go anywhere.

Kerrey’s little proposal to amend the Constitution to outlaw political parties in Congress makes him sound like a high school sophomore in his first government class who has “the best idea ever” to fix the world. Not to mention (again) that THIS from the guy who genuflected before Democrat Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid before moving to his sister’s couch to run for Senate!

It’s right up there with his demand that all Super PAC money be banned — you know, while his Super PAC sends another attack ad against Fischer.

It’s refreshing to see that the voters in Nebraska are rejecting a guy like Kerrey. Finally they’re realizing that a Democrat like Kerrey will, in fact, vote like a Democrat. How ’bout that.

And we were a little amazed by the OWH’s little poetic yarn about Deb Fischer in the Sunday edition.

Never have we seen so much written about people who didn’t want to comment for the story. Writing things like “people are whispering” and “according to sources” in a style more becoming of the editorial page, or possibly a Bob Woodward book.

We always find it interesting when Kerrey supporters come to L.St. and try their best to drag Fischer down with the claim that she’s “mean” or too tough or isn’t nice when she fights for issues she cares about. It is amusing when Democrats are shocked to find out that a Republican woman isn’t just sweet as a peach pie and doesn’t call them sugar or darling. Ohmygosh! A (Republican) woman means business? Well, let us write a story about THAT! Let us tell everyone how she is not nearly as nice as these other women we know!

Because of course we ALWAYS see that story written about that male candidate. Right?

In any case, we found it interesting that the OWH then went on to write a full piece on Fischer’s family and issues they have had.

We will let others argue about what that has to do with the United States Senate race.

But in case you missed our position on this type of crap, let us be clear:

We will not comment on Fischer’s or anyone else’s family for political purposes.

And let us take you back to 2006, when an incumbent was running for U.S. Senate. A Democrat incumbent. And this incumbent had issues in his family that were making the paper. Issues involving problems with the law and other areas.

And there were those commenters who were dying to discuss those issues in the Leavenworth Street comments section.

And we ruled them off-limits and deleted anyone who broke that rule.

And we will do the same in this case.

Thank you.

1. Lil Mac says:

The Matthew Hansen Sept 30th OWH article probably boosts Fischer. That wasn’t Hansen’s aim. And his “journalism” is bizarre. He magically reports what happens when Fischer is “alone” and dumps in one-sided slams by people-who-knew-people she’s bested or opposed on matters and issues, including the kind of land issues people like Hansen himself have when he disputes his own neighbor’s lot line.

Hansen’s bias motivated the Liberals who won’t vote for Fischer to not vote for Fischer. But the message to everyone else is of Fischer’s determination and leadership, a person other legislators fear. And lest we forget, fear and respect coexist. He compared her to LBJ who controlled the Senate.

So Fischer is incredibly effective at legislating. — Well, hells bells! What at horrible thing to have in the Senate! Her opponent is so Un-Nebraskan that he voted 90%+ of the time with NYC Liberal Senate Democrats and yet still he managed to be so unhinged that his nickname is “Cosmic Bob”. Kerrey floats, left to be sure, but floats. This article says Fischer leads.

Undercutting Fischer by calling her a feared legislator is like accusing Romney of being adept at handling money.

Look around! Voters hate Congress doing squat. Our economy is in the crapper. Romney makes Capitalistic economies work and Fischer makes American legislatures legislate. By making this case against them, Democrats are “doubling down” on their bet that most voters dislike Nebraska Conservatism and American Capitalism. If they are right, America is already dead. But then, why is Obama squirming and Kerrey saying he’s Conservative and half-Republican? The disingenuous Un-American leftist core of the Democratic Party is showing, finally.

When they say this election is a clear choice, it sure as hell is.

The OWH article, which I read after getting the heads up from Leavenworth St., did exude a little. It would seem that the barrage of criticism from Interested Observer has been verified. Not that anything IO has complained of, nor the OWH piece itself, would impact my thinking concerning Fischer, but she will undoubtedly take it on the chin as a result.

The problem with defending Deb too rigorously (as with Bob) is that she will not be the reformer nor the budget hawk y’all are dreaming about, and she will not work effectively to usher in tax reform. She will simply be another Republican intent on doing the business of her donors and their lobbyists. At the very least, y’all should have secured her PLEDGE to work to eliminate preferential grazing rights and bring that government program, ‘er socialist program, into profitability for the American people. But you didn’t even require that of Deb Fischer! Tsk. Tsk.

3. Speaking of Whispers says:

Is Matt Hansen going to right about the Than Phong incident concerning Bob Kerrey’s war record? Even 60 minutes had something to say about it. Bob has made this massacre an issue since he is running on his military service.

So you can’ say anything about the candidates families no matter if it says something about the character of the candidate.Yet there has been plenty of negative stuff on this website about Chelsey Clinton, and Bob Kerrey’s wife. Makes a person wonder. Especially when bribery has been offered in the past about other matters.

Yes, Interested Observer.

But I particularly took notice of the article about Deb and it’s convergence with what you have been putting up on Leavenworth St. for months.

6. RWP says:

The main Hansen piece seemed fair enough. She has sharp elbows. Good. The more I read from IO and the rest of the haters, the more I’m in her corner.

The piece on her sons was a hatchet job, plain and simple. It has nothing to do with her candidacy.

I wonder when Matt Hansen is going to cover Kerrey’s involvement with the S&L scandal, his insider trading while in the Senate, or for that matter his disembowelling of six-year olds. Chirp chirp chirp.

7. 9:24,
    Wow, only took a few hrs for the idiotic comment to hit, which I knew it would:

1) Chelsea Clinton? Is Bill or Hillary a candidate for something?

2) Kerrey’s wife wrote an entire magazine article about her experiences in Nebraska as a candidate’s wife. By doing so, she opened the door on the subject. That being said, we would restrict comments to what she said or did in that instance, and we have.

But you know, none of this is surprising from Democrats who see their golden boy going down the tubes. Desperation has a way of stinking up the process.

But just be clear that it ain’t going to fly here.
    And we have been MORE than fair on this issue to both sides of the aisle.

SS

8. Negative stuff about Bob Kerrey’s wife? Oh, you mean like when she trashed Nebraskans whilst simultaneously asking them to vote for her husband? You do understand that, when that article came out, it was at her behest. She entered the political arena on that one, and she’s deserving of any criticism she gets for the views expressed therein. But in a liberal’s brain, family members are fair game…so long as they’re not part of a Democrat’s family.

TA, it’s so good to know how you’d vote, but it’s even better knowing that you can’t vote here. Perhaps if you’ll remember, Bob Kerrey had a chance years ago to address that government program, ‘er socialist program, and bring it into profitability for the American people…but he was to busy voting lock-step with the Democrats to do that. But that would have required leadership from him, and as Lil Mac pointed out Kerrey doesn’t lead.

Hell, his whole senate run is an example of the proverbial donkey following the carrot. And of course, the people who will vote with Kerrey don’t care that he won’t actually represent Nebraska…they know he’ll vote to represent the liberal agenda, and they’re perfectly fine with that. These people would rather Nebraska only had 1 senator representing our state, because they hate everything about our state.

9. BTW, the American taxpayers spent $1.4 billion on the Obama family…not in total, but LAST YEAR alone!!! Clearly, the biggest problem our government faces is a dysfunctional grazing program.

You see the difference there, Anonymoron @9:24? I didn’t attack the Obama family…I simply pointed out a fact that may or may not reflect well on how the Obama Administration allocates taxpayer funding.

While you are at it, Mr. Grundle King, since you evidently have the data at hand, could you please inform us of how much money our government spent each year on the Bush family during George W.’s terms? I don’t believe you will find much difference there. The Secret Service is required to protect the POTUS regardless of his/her party affiliation.

11. Interested Observer says:

The Matthew Hanson profile article about DEB FI$CHER seemed lopsided complimentary toward her. “Personally, I think I’m charming.” Really?

It’s interesting that the article didn’t mention so many other things yet, like all the things that Deb has done to sadistically punish anyone who she thinks has a different opinion. Like the way that Deb tried, again unsuccessfully, to divert most of the funding from the Nebraska Environmental Trust so it would not be able to give a grant to the Nebraska Game and Parks Commission to purchase part of Kime’s Snake Falls Ranch to be a new state park area, just so she could “get back” at the Kime family after she, again unsuccessfully, sued them over the fence matter.

Or like the time that Governor Heineman asked an individual to serve another term on the Environmental Trust Board and then after Deb’s interference, the Governor reneged on his request and had to tell that individual that the request no longer existed.

Or like the time that Deb introduced her LB666, the “Devil’s Bill” to basically eliminate the Niobrara Council, which helps manage the Niobrara National Scenic River with the help of local landowners, business owners and conservation professionals, just to punish an individual involved with the Council.

I imagine that we will all see more articles in the next 5 weeks that will tell the rest of the story. Stay tuned for more!

12. I don’t have information on Bush at hand. If you believe the figures between Bush and Obama are comparable, then by all means enlighten us. It’s not my job to provide evidence for your claim.

BTW, to be fair, compare Bush’s third year in office to Obama’s third year in office.

I agree that the Secret Service is required to protect the President, and I never posted anything to the contrary, so I’m not sure what your point is there. Furthermore, I never said anything about the costs being out of line…I merely pointed out the fact that the federal grazing program is a pittance compared to what we taxpayers spend to support the office of the President…and that goes for ANY President. Though I do feel obligated to point out that those government benefits are available only to a select few individuals (hat-tip to Interested Observer).

Mr. Grundle King, would you please provide us with the source of your $1.4 billion figure for the Obama family? Surely you still have that information handy. Just reach around and pull it out.

14. Some Thoughts says:

Do you honestly believe that when Deb is quoted as saying, “personally, I think I’m charming”, in direct response to the suggestion that some people think otherwise, she’s being deadly serious? She’s obviously trying to deflect other people’s rudeness in a light-hearted and easy-going way. Which kind of proves that she’s not the mean ol’ lady people are trying to paint her as! Look, if you disagree with Fischer on policy, go ahead and say so. Let’s hear your dazzling arguments for the other side. Meanwhile, most of the campaign against her seems to be run on personal insults and innuendo, and voters simply aren’t buying it.

Grundle: It’s true that I can’t vote there but in case you misunderstood my meaning, I wouldn’t support either of your choices. I am sure to be negatively impacted by whichever choice Nebraskans make. Y’all have phony conservatives and powerless liberals: nothing to look forward to!

After reading the article on Deb Fischer in the OWH, it occurs to me her mom may very well have been one of my teachers in grade school. The article said Deb’s maiden name was Strobel, that she was from Lincoln, and that her mother was a teacher. How many Mrs. Strobels were running around Lincoln Public Schools of a vintage that they could have a daughter Deb’s age?

Like Lil Mac, I came away from reading that article with a very favorable impression of Deb Fischer. Adjectives I would use to describe her, based on that article, include tough, strong, determined, forceful, influential, hard-working, and grounded. Yeah, there might be a few people whom she’s crossed paths with who don’t like her, but, hey, when you make an omelette, you have to break a few eggs, yeah?

So questioning the character of a Republican candidate, and questioning whether she abused the power of her office is out of the question, Sweeper?

no SS you have not been fair not even close. People are laughing at you about that statement . Its interesting that Deb supporters are saying the articles don’t mean anything or they are glad Deb is so tough. Deb is not tough, she is mean and rude. Any one in Valentine could tell you that, especially her neighbors. i wonder when the next scandal will come out about Deb Fischer? Because the OWH missed a lot. The real rank stuff is still out there.

19. @ Anon 11:13, until you can tell me the reason for your obsession with my rear end, I’m not providing you with anything.

@ TA, and I’m sure to be negatively impacted by any Democrat Rep/Senator elected in New York, California, you name it…but you don’t see me frequenting their political blogs and griping about the candidates up for election in those states. Perhaps that’s because it’s none of my business who they elect to represent them.

20. anonymous says:

I tuned into the debate just as Bob was asking what Deb was doing after the Debate or something and right away I tuned it out deciding to watch reruns of Law & Order.

A couple of recent newsy-ish articles about that UNL Hater thing piqued my curiosity. Didn’t even know what Tumblr is but found a link and went and looked at it. For those who haven’t heard, it’s a site that calls out people who tweet things that this group decides are racist or bigotted in some way. They post screen shots of the offending tweet, revealing the identity of the person who posted it. A few observations.

1. The place must be run by the gay mafia. Sorry, but the GLBT crowd doesn’t get to decide for everyone else what “gay” means. It’s not their property. They don’t have a monopoly on the use of it. “Gay” used to mean happy. Now, it might mean “homosexual” or, depending on the context, it might just mean “dumb.” As in “that is so gay,” which I don’t view as a homosexual slur. BUT, if you are a UNL student and you tweet something like “that is so gay,” you’ll be ostracized by the people at this UNL Haters deal. OR, if you question someone’s manhood, that’s also a homosexual slur in these people’s view. So, if you tweeted something like, “take off the skirt and face it like a man,” these folks will brand you as a homophobe.

2. Vast, vast majority of the offending tweets or posts deal with anti-asian sentiment. This kind of surprises me. I don’t think I saw ANY anti-Latino tweets, so nothing about illegal immigrants as far as I saw. Minimal reference to blacks and that seemed more anti-immigrant than anything. But loads and loads of stuff making fun of asians, especially asian professors whom people complained couldn’t speak English. (And, let’s be honest, some of them can’t. I have personally taken classes from asian professors whose English skills were so bad I couldn’t make out much of what they said and that harmed me to the extent that I paid good money for what amounted to bad instruction. I think that lack of ability of a professor to speak English is a legitimate gripe.) Now, why is it that we see substantial anti-(smart)asian sentiment but very little anti-black or anti-Latino sentiment reflected in these thought-policed twitter posts? Ponder that awhile.

3. I saw NO tweets posted to the UNL Haters site that reflected religious bigotry or any sort. Does that mean that no UNL students are out there taking twitter pot-shots at people of faith or faith-based institutions? Or does it mean that the folks who run the website think that religious bigotry is perfectly fine if directed at the “dominant culture”?

4. I wonder how they screen these things to find offensive tweets. I don’t know. Maybe that is what Tumblr is all about. I have no idea. Can they figure out who these offenders are even if the person has a twitter account that doesn’t state their name? Not quite sure how that all works. Perhaps someone can explain.

5. One of their big lines was that shaming people is an effective way of changing their behavior. Wonder what other categories of miscreants we could find their names and post online. I bet there are some ideas for shaming that would cause the PC community to go berzerk with indignation if certain behaviors were publicly exposed. Oh how they abhor judgmentalism. Unless they’re the ones being judgmental.

Well Grundle, if you had lived in New York or California, I would expect you to have an opinion about those places. And it’s LOGICAL and LEGAL for me or anyone to comment on this blog or other blogs. Frankly, I don’t have much to complain about concerning state/local government here in TEXAS!!! But I will stop the complaining here when you apologize, on behalf of Nebraskans, for what you have done to the developmentally disabled among you and for what you did to my family by bringing me there to pay your taxes.

My, my, my Mr. Grundle! For a guy that chose to name himself for that portion of a man’s anatomy that lies between the testicles and the anus, you’re awfully sensitive!

If your a Deb Fischer fan , your sad. Because she is way over her head. If your a Bob Kerrey fan, your happy, the man knows his stuff. Changed my vote.

“your”, “your”, “your” and “your” are spelled “you’re”.
    And if YOU’RE a Bob Kerrey fan, YOU’RE delusional.

26. Anonymostly says:

Great idea, anon at 7:00. Maybe we could publish a list of those women who are getting a special reduced rate/subsidy on their college tuition at UNL just because they happened to give birth to an illegitimate child and remained unmarried.

Talk about WELFARE STUDENTS, right IO?

TA: No one forced your family to move to Nebraska so your husband could take a well-paying job which now has you retired in Texas. Take responsibility for your own actions.

Anonymous at 12:28 directly above is misleading in his/her accusation. Perhaps the commenter does not realize how the “economic development” laws of Nebraska impact actual workers lives.

29. Elton says:

Gary and Ace, you have nothing to fear from the OWH. You are in a favored and exalted group! Rejoice! Be happy! Be exuberant! Be sunny! Jovial! Jolly! Frolicsome! Wild! Rollicking!

30. Wow, TA, you’re out of your fricking gourd. I don’t owe an apology to you, nor anyone else, for something I didn’t do, and for which I bear no responsibility for. I no more owe you an apology than you owe the people of Mexico an apology for stealing, er, winning their land.

I was born in Colorado and raised until about age 12 in Iowa. I have family that still lives in each state. While I may not be a native Nebraskan, I consider this state my home, thus I concern myself only with the goings-on here. I could give 2 $#!+$ less what Iowa or Colorado do. I disagree with the legalization of same-sex marriage, and yet Iowa legalized it. I could care less…that’s their state, it’s their business. Colorado has already legalized medicinal pot, and is aiming at trying to go for full legalization of pot. I don’t believe marijuana should be legalized, but if the people of Colorado want it, then hey, whatever floats their boat.

Frankly, seeing the way each state is going, I’m glad I don’t live there and want nothing to do with either state…though I do remain a faithful Broncos fan. I suspect you’d find yourself much happier if you quit worrying about what’s happening hundreds of miles away, which will have little (if any) impact on your life.

RE: Anon @ 8:29…I’m stuck in the middle of a bunch of ‘richard craniums’, nutjobs, and bungholes. A more apropos name I could not find.

How much less could you care, Grundle?
    As for your chosen name, I agree, you do fit right in there with all of your neighbors. In fact, it’s hard to tell where they leave off and you begin.

Yup, Grundle, that’s one thing we do agree on. You’re down there in the south end while I reside right between an intelligent person’s ears.