Hagel: It’s funny because you’re Indian!

Hagel - smirk 062013UPDATE at 1:25pm:

This from Dr. Robin Gandhi regarding the story from the UNO event:

“I was honored to attend Secretary of Defense Hagel’s speech on  Wednesday. I was able to ask a question, and I thoroughly enjoyed hearing his answer. Before I rose to ask a question, there was  apparently some confusion that did not involve me.”

It would seem that Dr. Gandhi is saying that Hagel was not referring to him.

If that’s the case, fine. We haven’t heard that from the Hagel Pentagon peeps, but if Hagel was indeed directing his “humor” at someone else, and not Gandhi, great.

As there is no camera on the questioners, it is difficult to see who Hagel IS directing the joke at. He was directing it at someone, and we aren’t clear how Dr. Gandhi would know whether it was directed at him or not. But there you go.

In case you missed it, Secretary of Defense, and former Nebraska Senator, Chuck Hagel spoke at his alma mater, UNO, yesterday.
After expressing his desire to lessen America’s defense capability (more on that below), he took some questions from the audience.

See it here:

UNO Professor Robin A. Gandhi, Ph.D. stepped up and Hagel asked him:

“You’re not a member of the Taliban, are you?”

And then Hagel smirked.

You see, it’s funny because Gandhi has dark skin!

Robin Gandhi PhD 01

Of course, this jibes well with Hagel BBF Joe Biden’s view that all Indians work at the Kwik-E-Mart.

The Pentagon’s press flaks area already trying to spin this.
And we’ll be shocked if we don’t hear some sort of apology on this from Hagel asap.

BUT, we would just like to note that NONE of the local media, who were there, noted this in their stories.
AND we would note that if it were a Republican saying this — an actual Republican — Chris Matthews and the gang would be calling for his resignation.

We’ll wait to see what happens — or doesn’t happen — we guess…

And on that note of Hagel, even though he was welcomed like the Prodigal Son back to UNO, what was his proposal?
Well, that of backing President Obama’s plan to weaken America’s defense capabilities.

Because Russia is that much more stable?
Because there hasn’t been a proliferation of nukes in the MidEast and beyond?
Because if the US unilaterally disarms, everyone else will?

From the joint statement of Nebraska Senators Johanns and Fischer:

The Cold War may be over, but we still face dangerous threats as rogue nations like Iran and North Korea work to develop nuclear arsenals.

A brief survey of the global stage makes clear the announcement to reduce one-third of our nuclear deterrent couldn’t come at a worse time.

Russia and China are continuing to modernize their nuclear forces while dangerous proliferation threats remain from North Korea and Iran.

Well, it we’ve learned anything about the world stage, it’s that America’s enemies respect it much more when we back down.
Right?

Why is the Pentagon wasting time spinning this? Hagel is Obama’s personal sock puppet. Plus, Hagel just opened up all combat positions to women. He could have even made a homophobic joke about the guy’s first name. It’s all good.

2. The Observer says:

Can’t get those “exclusive” interviews with Hagel if you report every embarrassing thing he says & does…. even if in front of hundreds of people.

I was at Hagel’s speech yesterday and just before Dr. Gandhi spoke Hagel was joking around with a reporter who wanted to ask a question. I think Hagel’s remark was said during that exchange, not towards Dr. Gandhi, but I could be completely wrong.

4. Gaius Gracchus says:

I find the idea of a nuclear deterrent arsenal in the low-hundreds attractive. Keep the “Boomers” with their MIRVed warheads and let the other two legs of the triad go. Strategic deterrence only – let’s be done with all tactical nukes too. Surely RAND or some similar think-tank has penciled out how that might or might not work.

Even our current nuclear arms don’t deter Iran – or even a bunch of guys who hijack civilian airliners. As for the Iranians, use the media against them. If the U.S. and Russia are slowly reducing their nuclear weapons stockpiles, what possible reason do the Persians have for nukes beyond (to use their words) “…pushing the Zionist entity into the sea?” We don’t need the Saudi’s going nuclear for fear of Iran. And Pakistan and India to the East, China East of them, or South Korea and/or Japan because of North Korea’s shenanigans.

Nukes are inherently destabilizing weapons that complicate what passes for peace, and conventional war, if and when we wage it. We’d have a better deterrent posture if we actually used our conventional systems to the fullest possible extent instead of holding one hand behind our backs all the time. I’m with Dr. Paul on this one.

Hagel pointed to a questioner way up in the back, kept looking at the questioner when he asked his racist question and then kept patiently looking in the exact same spot when Dr Ghandi asked his question. But I’m sure there was a blonde woman up there as well and that’s who he asked about being in the Taliban. The question was inappropriate no matter to whom it was directed. Last I heard, the Taliban was killing the people under his command. That doesn’t really create comedy gold. Hagel is a classless cretin.

6. C'mon says:

We have over 1,500 nukes. So does Russia. US proposals to reduce nukes by 1/3 to 1,000 are contingent upon Russia doing the same. This has nothing to do about ‘unilaterally’ disarming.

You can’t say with a straight face that maintaining ‘only’ 1,000 nuclear weapons leaves us exposed or incapable of deterring other nuclear powers.

Gaius, I’m not sure where to start with your comment other than to say it is full of the same wishful thinking that infects our current President. I’m sure that sounded cool in front of the college co-eds, but it’s pretty much disconnected from reality.

8. Gaius Gracchus says:

Don’t worry, MacD. Nobody’s asked me to quit my day job to do strategic planning. That said, when did SORT stop being reason and start being wishful thinking? The same with newSTART.

Because I’m a victim of wishful thinking, I get that keeping the current arms regime will have unintended – and unwanted consequences. So would change, like reducing stockpile size. Yeah, we can keep the nukes we have; its not as if there is any political, military or fiscal support for starting a new round of weapons design & testing. We’ll have to see that the Stockpile Stewardship Program does its job, and rely on mathematical modeling of aging warheads to see that those weapons work as-designed and, Heaven forbid, when needed.

9. No Comment says:

I just want to know if Pete Ricketts thinks this is ok behavior. I am sure Jessica Moenning is crafting a statement right now criticizing…. Oh, wait a minute. Never mind. Nothing to see here…

10. Tonic & Tonic says:

I don’t personally see a reason not to shrink the scope of our military a bit… We spend .ore on the military than the next 10 countries COMBINED. We don’t need to be on the ready to interfere error uhh intervene with every stupid squabble between tribes or groups of people who all hate us anyway.

As for reducing our nuclear power, I would love to see Reagan’s dream of total nuclear disarmament come true. It’s not like anyone has the jumblies to push the button anyway. I know a sissy when I see one, and the only world leader with the cajones is Putin.

As for Hagel: big deal he is an embarrassment. No new news there.

11. Doomed says:

I hate be so bold, but America has an idiot for a president and an idiot as Secretary of Defense. Without a doubt, America is doomed. Just wait and see.

12. Gaius Gracchus says:

Doomed, my late Dad said that his whole life. As I’ve said “American is doomed” my whole life. Fortunately we’re still here. I don’t know what that means. Maybe I just like saying we’re doomed when we’re not.

13. RWP says:

Yes, the UK has nukes. Not sure why anymore.

My dad worked on the British nuclear bomber. He told me that one day the communist union organizer for the plant picked up the blueprints for the H-bomb trigger, tucked them in his coat, took the train to London and pushed them through the mail slot of the Soviet embassy. Some time later it was noticed they were missing, but it was just assumed they had been mislaid.

Brits write great spy novels, but when it comes to cloak and dagger stuff in real life, they are unbelievably careless.

14. Some Thoughts says:

This “funny because you’re Indian” thing might be the single most transparently false effort to score some cheap payback points I’ve ever seen. Yes, it was very annoying that Hagel supported Kerrey and has generally turned out to be a disappointment to many Nebraska Republicans. We understand, we sympathize. No need to debase yourself by making things up about him.

15. To Some Thoughts says:

It’s not false if it’s true. If that’s what he said, then it’s worth mentioning, don’t you think?

16. John Christianson says:

Anyone else sick of Sam Fischer’s tweets about how much he hates Chuck Hagel? It is really unfortunate that Sam continues to blame Hagel for my loss in Nebraska’s ’98 republican gubernatorial primary. In reality, I should not have taken his advice and attacked Mayor Johanns on the public television issue. Unfortunately, (insert many failed republican candidates here) took his advice and suffered my same fate.

17. To the Idiot above says:

One you can’t spell Jon’s name, two Hagel is a traitor to the republican party. Sam Fischer is a good republican and he is dead on for slamming Obama’s puppet.

Why is Mark Fahleson working so desparately to recruit Ben Sasse to run for Senate? We have a great candidate with Shane Osborn. He’s a war hero with helped turn around a company and who has served us well as our state treasurer. Fahleson is upsetting a lot of people with this “Draft Sasse” charade.

19. Randy Newman says:

No one like us.
    I don’t know why.
    We may not be perfect.
    But heaven knows we try.
    All around even our old friends put us down.
    Let’s drop the big one and see what happens.

20. Gary Numan says:

Send “Cars” Ringtone to your Cell
    Here in my car
    I feel safest of all
    I can lock all my doors
    It’s the only way to live in cars.
    Here in my car
    I can only receive
    I can listen to you
    It keeps me stable for days in cars.

All the talk about reducing our nuclear stockpiles is just a pathetic attempt at trying to change the subject. Obama is stuck in the 70s. His foreign policy is nothing but warmed over college-level liberal platitudes. For a smart man, has he learned nothing from Carter about appeasement and projecting weakness? The Iranians will get the bomb no matter what our number of nukes is. Putin will continue to eat Obama’s lunch no matter if we cut our arsenal in half. We are still on track to surrender to the Taliban at the end of the year and cutting our arsenal will not stop that. This is ridiculous. Of all the foreign policy issues that are way more pressing and more likely to be deadly, Odumbass picks reducing our nuclear weapons as the thing he wants to focus on. Will somebody please get him some Ritalin?

22. Gaius Gracchus says:

MacD, who do you see having a good grasp of these issues and how to deal with them? I’m not being facetious, this is a straight question.

It was Jon Christensen. The guy shot the bullet in his own foot with a negative ad that backfired. Oops. Since when is Shane Osborn the annointed one. If Fahleson wishes to do something bold, maybe he can read the tea leaves that Osborn has baggage and wants voters to have a choice. Why would you hire a campaign manager, especially one who likes nasty tactics, out of DC when you are trying to impress voters with how close to them your voice will be as their representative? I think Mark’s efforts are worthy for having guts.

24. Gaius Gracchus says:

TA – indeed, but seeing as Lucius and I are both long gone, asking Lucius is not possible. Nor would I want to. Let me rephrase my question: who should be Secretary of Defense?

25. Gaius Gracchus says:

OT: who can tell me about SKDKnickerbocker? The son of a buddy of mine just got a job in the firm’s D.C. office.

26. Lil Mac says:

“Nukes are inherently destabilizing weapons that complicate what passes for peace.”

On the surface that might seem the case.

The Nuclear Age began with Hiroshima 67 years ago. In the 67 years since Hiroshima (1945-2013) America has had 457,127 killed and wounded. In the 67 years before Hiroshima (1877-1945), America had 1,409,914 killed and wounded. Three times more casualties when our population was 70% smaller (45 million in 1877 and 150 million in 1945). And this does not even include the 646,392 Civil War casualties from only one decade before.

If you think Obama is a dopy President, here is a list of the wizards next in line.

1 Vice President Joe Biden (D)
    2 Speaker of the House John Boehner (R)
    3 President pro tem of the Senate Patrick Leahy (D)
    4 Secretary of State John Kerry (D)
    5 Secretary of the Treasury Jacob Lew (D)
    6 Secretary of Defense Chuck Hagel (R)
    7 Attorney General Eric Holder (D)
    — Secretary of the Interior Sally Jewell (D) (ineligible naturalized US citizen)
    8 Secretary of Agriculture Tom Vilsack (D)

When Franklin said our form of government isn’t perfect he wasn’t comparing levels of perfection. It was more like weighing urine against feces. The aforementioned list is liable to piss you off. If it doesn’t, go ahead and dig in. Bon appetite! Enjoy our endless cornucopia of ineptitude.

Anon 7:24, don’t worry. The ONLY way there is a President Biden is if Barack keeps lying to Michelle about eating BBQ. Obama will never resign even if there is a signed memo from him ordering the IRS to investigate opposition groups and Congress will never, ever move to impeach him. I guess the cigarette smoking could catch up to him. For all we know he could have high cholesterol, high blood pressure, and 4 cardiac stents. Such is the transparency of the most transparent administration in history.

Having said all that, I’d be fine with a President Biden. He couldn’t do worse.

Macdaddy:
    I think the issue raised by Anonymous 7:24 concerned the presidential line of succession.
    The comment spawned my review of the 25th Amendment. Check it out!

Anonymous @ 7:24am:
    Don’t worry about the eligibility of Sally Jewell. Should everyone else in DC be blown up simultaneously, most Americans would not fret about her leadership as ACTING president.
    One of my daughters could not live her chosen outdoor-life without the superior products/services available at REI. If for that reason alone, I’m impressed with Jewell, but y’all could take your own pleasure from Jewell’s PRIOR non-governmental & non-political experience before her recent confirmation as Secretary of the Interior.

30. Gaius Gracchus says:

Biden is to Obama what Agnew was to Nixon. When asked if he feared assasination, Nixon reportedly laughed and said “Spiro Agnew as Vice President guarantees I won’t be murdered while in office.”

31. He Has A Name says:

Maggie O’Brien’s breathless article in this morning’s OWH about the illegal who shot citizens of Omaha failed to mention the shooter’s immigration status.

32. Lil Mac says:

President Biden could force us to give hair plugs to bald infants. Biden is a bona fide plagiarizing dunce. But as 7:24 points out, it is either urine or feces. If you are knee deep in one, perhaps a change seems nice until you get in the other.

Regarding Secretary of the Inferior becoming Prez, she’d have to wait for the demise of President Hagel and Vice President Eric Holder.

Obama isn’t “White” because of the “one-drop rule”, called by US courts the “traceable amount rule”; a slavery definition still embraced today that says racially mixed persons are assigned to ridiculously small amounts of non-predominant ancestry whenever such ancestry is black African. This cultural and legal (as $$$ benefits are available by race) certainty that one is “black” no matter how white one appears, is unique to the United States. While other nations reasonably define race as being what one mostly is or appears to be, most White and Black Americans at all levels– judges, affirmative action/civil rights advocates and Klansmen—they all take for granted that one drop of African blood makes one Black. So of course Obama –who is ironically 100% descended from White American african-slave owners AND from Kenyan Moslem african-slave owners, without one drop of slave blood in his veins – is nevertheless deemed “Black”, which is supposed to benefit him for sake of his ancestors’ slavery. Obama’s ancestors all caused slavery. That’s funny. Obama being accepted as “Black” is a fitting tribute to the stupidity of American voters who will swallow urine and feces when told it is wine and cheese.

If the “one drop rule” is indeed valid, when we consider the vast percentage of identical genetic material shared by Humans and our closest primate relatives, Obama can also validly call himself a “Bonobo”, as can we all. Chimpanzees. That figures.

33. To: OWH Agenda says:

The OWH is no longer in business to serve it’s subscribers and readers in Nebraka. It is in business to please Warren and Susie Buffett. And, they are doing a damn good job of it…… and to hell with the rest of us.

You have to remember that the succession list only comes into play if everyone gets wiped out at once, a highly, highly unlikely scenario (see Clancy, Tom). There is usually plenty of time to appoint a new VP.

35. Tonic & Tonic says:

Borchers is capable, but everyone knows that it’ll be a cold day on hell before an Omahan is elected statewide.