Lincoln Democrat caught using dirty campaign tricks and offensive video

Mitch Paine 001Twenty-six year old Mitch Paine works for the Nebraska Natural Resources Department.

He ran, and lost, for Lincoln City Council against Cyndi Lamm.
Democrat Lincoln Mayor Chris Beutler now wants to appoint him to the Air Quality Board (whatever that is).

Cyndi Lamm, you will note, spells her name with a “Y then I”, and her campaign website was “www.CyndiForTheCity.com“.

However, in the Democrat Dity Tricks playbook, “CindyForTheCity.com” — using “I then Y” — took advantage of those who don’t know how she spells her name.

But it didn’t stop there.

They then redirected users to the crasss, distasteful, racist and patently offensive video on YouTube entitled “Bum Fights“, showing just what it is entitled, with giggling videographers behind it.

And what makes this especially offensive, is that Cyndi Lamm was herself once homeless. A point which apparently Paine finds hillarious.

Screen Shot 2015-06-23 at 11.39.27 AMThe website CURRENTLY redirects to the Bum Fights video. Click it yourself and find out. Type it out yourself. (Don’t worry, in case it is taken down at some point, I have a video screen capture.)

Here is the kicker: You can dissguise who purchsed a webpage by using a “Domains By Proxy” which essentially hides who paid for a site.

But not always.

Here is the smoking gun:

Screen Shot 2015-06-23 at 11.26.02 AM

In the realm of Democrats calling for resignations and responsibility, this is the top of the mountain.

It was used during the campaign and is still up.
It is patently offensive and wrong.
Paine holds a gig with a state office.
Paine is gunning for an appointment for the Democrat Mayor.

So lets hear it Democrats!
Let’s hear a quick, certain denouncement of this in no uncertain terms, from EVERY Democrat office holder and leader in the state!

And what should happen to Paine? Tell us!

(The Nebraska GOP has demanded that at the very least Beutler remove Paine from consideration for the appointment.)

If you Democrats DON’T denounce everything associated with this, we will consider it an endorsement.

Your move.

**UPDATE at 2pm**

From Lincoln Mayor Chris Beutler:

“Our concern about D.C.-style politics being used in Lincoln has not changed. We have not allowed partisan bickering and the undue influence of special interest groups to keep our community from moving forward, and we should never adopt that way of doing the City’s business.

“What has changed is the situation concerning my nomination of Mitch Paine to the Air Pollution Advisory Board. My office found out for the first time today that a member of Mitch’s campaign staff used a negative and highly offensive campaign tactic against Cyndi Lamm during the City Council campaign. This is another aspect of D.C.-style politics that I abhor, and I have reached out to Cyndi to express my disappointment with respect to this campaign tactic.

“I have also withdrawn my support for Mitch’s appointment, and I will ask the Council to remove his name from consideration for this advisory board.”

“Campaign staff”?
For Lincoln City Council?
So who was it?
And what did Mitch know and when did he know it?

1. Henry Robert says:

Damn. That is just as bad as that AP photo of Ted Cruz with a gun pointed at his face. Bad taste.

Anyone ever read my book on parliamentary procedure?

2. He needs to be fired says:

This man is disgusting. That video is the worst piece of Crap I have ever seen. The State of Nebraska should fire him. I heard he was Jane Flemming Kleeb’s protege. Win at all costs is her motto

3. Disgusting!!! says:

If you know Cyndi Lamm you would cry watching this video. She was homeless early in life. She fought through her adversity and worked hard to get where she is today. This guy should leave politics forever as he is scum.

Speaking of Jane Kleeb, maybe Sweeper doesn’t want to call attention to it or hasn’t had time but there is a ridiculous cover photo and puff piece about her in Omaha Magazine which I presume is not a bastion of conservative thought. The way it was written the in-between the lines take is, “We’re testing the waters for a Jane run, at anything!” Now that she has nothing else to do and is asking supporters to respond to a survey telling BN what their next move should be, one could see her trying for the Legislature. That cover photo depicting her nude shoulders in a vat of oil should do the trick in LD 33.

5. bum wars says:

I haven’t seen a wrestling match like that since Burke Harr broke his leg “wrestling” an oiled up Gary Disilvestro at the Blatt

6. Techie says:

Where is the smoking gun? All this shows is that whoever is the owner of cindyforthecity.com once had it pointing to Mitch Paine’s campaign website. Mitch would have no control over that.

Please produce a smoking gun or take down this garbage story.

7. Techie says:

Why would Mitch Paine be so stupid to buy that domain, point it to his own personal website, then point it to Bum Fights. You understand this is libelous to print this claiming you have any proof that Mitch did this?

8. FAC says:

While I find this distasteful, it is really nothing. Have you ever googled Santorum? Politics is tough. If you cry over this, you are going to get hurt a heck of a lot more, probably at the expense of the people of Lincoln. I guess Lincoln really is a Podunk town.

So you googled cindyforthecity.com and found a reference to Mitch Paine on the wa-com.com website, which is NOT the official registry record. And you base your story on this? This is looking more and more like a dirty trick emanating from your side. Hope you’re ready for a libel lawsuit. Glad you’re not anonymous anymore. Sad that you’re a Prep graduate.

10. Techie says:

How do we know it had anything to do with Mitch’s campaign? Maybe Meg Mikolajcek’s campaign did it and pointed the URL to Mitch’s website. Anyone could have done it. Where is the smoking gun?

11. So the theory is an enemy bought the site in the name of Mitch Payne’s campaign in March, did not use it in the campaign for the City Council, but used it instead to bring down Payne’s candidacy for the Air Pollution Control Board?

ROFLMAO! I can see why Dems shy away from business as a career.

12. Where's the smoking gun? says:

Gerard, what exactly do you think that you all have proven? You have made some pretty serious accusations and I’d like to see what evidence you have other than some obscure reference to Mitch’s campaign you have when you googled cindyforthecity.com.

13. the blatt's bathroom says:

Boy, I sure thought I have heard a lot of hot air being blown in my day but some of the conspiracy theories here are just precious. Kinda reminds me of a time when a certain state senator walked in….

14. Consipracies says:

How about this for a conspiracy theory, Mitch Paine’s campaign bought cindyforthecity.com and pointed it to Mitch’s actual website then pointed it to an offensive YouTube video. ROTFLMAO! Why in the hell would Mitch point that to his own website, that is what you are claiming here.

15. hey 1:52 says:

In the Lincoln Journal Star article, it denotes quite plainly that Mayor Beutler said his staff discovered it and withdrew the nomination. So, before you throw stones at RWP you may want to save some of those stones in your sling for the mayor as well.

16. Since Chris Beutler has apparently withdrawn the nomination, and admitted the dirty campaign tactics, I’d like, but won’t get, an apology from the anomymous cowardly morons posting here.

And a h/t from elsewhere would also be nice 🙂

• To those who don’t read updates in the post:

From Mayor Beutler:

17. More Details says:

So, Mitch Paine posted to his facebook that his campaign manager purchased the domain, though he claims to have no knowledge of him doing so.

According to his campaign finance documents, Paine paid three consultants: James Pauley, Elizabeth Hertzler, and Nathan Janulewicz. Pauley was paid the most and most frequently, so you can assume he was the campaign manager.

James Pauley is a field director for the Nebraska Dems…..

18. Pete says:

Mitch Paine is ultimately responsible for everything that goes on inside and all of the actions taken by his “organization”. Too many politicians have found this out the hard way. What this really shows is just how dysfunctional the NDP is, and how horrible the people within the organization are.

19. In the Know says:

Does any of this surprise you? The Democrats exploit a lot of their constituencies for political gain. The Homeless are a tool for them and nothing more

20. Recommendation for James Pauley on his Linked In page

“It was a pleasure to work with James during a recent City Council race. He and his team were responsive, efficient, and diligent in providing us with qualitative and accurate data. I highly recommend working with James and his adept team of political professionals.”

The other two consultants seem to have staff jobs working for Mello and Ashford

21. Bob Loblaw says:

I’m sure Vince Powers will be calling for this guys head soon. OH WAIT!! Nevermind. He’s a democrat.
    Nothing will happen.

Could you imagine how the media would cover it if Cyndi Lamm was a black Democrat who was once homeless and lifted themselves up and went to law school? There’d be rioting in the streets and MSNBC would be broadcasting from 10th & O. But you won’t hear hardly a peep about this because it wan an attack on a Republican.

22. Props to the Mayor of Lincoln says:

The mayor (to his credit) dumped this little DB. It’s a tough day when a lib has to can another lib. But he did it nonetheless.

23. Frankly my dear... says:

I don’t give a damn, but this dude should be fired from his state job for being an unethical tool. Doesn’t belong in politics or in government.

24. Pete says:

@4:22
    NO! Not props to the Mayor. You don’t get props for doing something that should be a forgone conclusion. Nobody gave me props for putting on pants this morning, or for showing up to work. Shame on the Mayor of Lincoln for considering this DB in the first place.

25. Henry Robert says:

Update from Vince Powers and Mitch from the Nebraska Young Democrats page…

Vince Powers – “If Mitch Paine’s campaign is responsible for the you tube linked to cindyforthecity.com then Mitch should withdraw his name or the Mayor should withdraw the nomination. While this was not the reason the 4 GOP members blocked him, this information, if true disqualifies Mitch Paine.”

Mitch replies in the comments – “There has been a great deal of discussion today about my involvement with a purchased website that linked to an absolutely distasteful video. I would like to be clear that I had gave no permission and had no knowledge about the purchase of this site, nor were donations from my campaigns supporters used. Any purchase of any item would have been under my official campaign name “Friends for Mitch Paine,” as filed with the NADC.
    This morning I also placed a phone call to Councilwoman Lamm to share my concern and disgust. Unable to reach her, I left her a voice message. I wholeheartedly apologize to her for this, as I know she has given a lot to this city and cares deeply about serving on City Council.”

How awkward must that voicemail be.

26. Except that the LJS story says

He said his campaign manager apparently purchased the domain and created the website without his knowledge or permission.

“I had no idea. I would never, ever have given permission for anything like this,” Paine said Tuesday afternoon.

So was it his campaign manager, or wasn’t it?

27. To Mitch says:

If you really cared you would go to an actual homeless shelter with your staff and serve meals for several days. Sit down at a table and talk to some of these people. I have volunteered many times over the years at Sienna Francis and other shelters. You may actually learn something.

28. The Lincoln Journal Star seems content to leave the Mitch Paine incident with ‘it was my campaign manager, I didn’t know’. They haven’t asked the campaign manager, or even identified him, or pointed out he is the field director for the Nebraska Democrats.

Meanwhile, todays editorial is about how Lincoln Zoo needs to be expanded.

Our fourth estate is a small vegetable plot.

29. Liberal Press says:

I guess if you call a State Senator a “C” word and have a R behind your name the OWH and LJS will run that story for days.

30. The Grundle King says:

Also in todays LJS news, via Nancy Hicks…two of the companies that are likely bidders on the city’s new radio system donated to the campaign to raise the sales tax to pay for said radio system. But worry not, as Nancy points out…

“Though donations like this always look suspicious, $2,500 is peanuts compared with the $20 million at stake.

And the mailers were not likely very influential in the city primary where voters approved the tax hike by a 3-to-2 margin.”

Back under the rug with ye!!!

31. The Grundle King says:

On the Mitch Paine thing, I would say this much…

It’s true of any political candidate that ‘the buck stops here’…that they’re to be held accountable for actions taken on their behalf, whether they knew about those actions or not. I would actually tend to believe Mitch when he says he had no knowledge of the website, and that the more likely scenario is that it’s a dirty trick played by Democratic campaign manager, who was either directed or inspired by an even slimier NE Democratic Party-leading ambulance chaser.

I would also add that I hope that this doesn’t cost Mitch his job with the DNR. Despite what I may think about his politics, this state needs young minds who are truly interested in natural resource conservation. And while his involvement with the Boldies is a little disconcerting, his job is to protect water resources.

32. What a shame says:

Great parenting Leslie Wiseman. Way to teach your kid to let someone else take the fall for his actions. Poor Mitch.

33. homeless wino says:

Irregardless of party afilliation, I think this is hilarious. Get you pants out of such a politcally correct society people….gheeeshh

34. Pete says:

To the dolt above: “Irregardless” isn’t a word but regardless of party affiliation, the actions of Mitch Paine and his campaign were absolutely horrible.

35. homeless wino says:

Hi “Pete” and “to wino”

you upppity suits need to get a life and ride an upside down pogo stick. Quit being so PC, and relax a little.

@homeless wino (My guess is that your name is Mitch, or maybe you’re Mitch’s friend)

Go back to watching whichever season of South Park you get your sense of humor from. You’re literally the only person who thinks it’s funny.

37. Bob Loblaw says:

Could one of the Dems on here help me out. So making a website that makes fun of homeless people is ok, but saying “Chicago” or “”obama is angry” are racist code words and if you say them then you are a KKK member? Is that how this works?

What about Pat McPherson controversy? I seem to recall a lot of Democrat leaders calling for him to resign, even though he said he didn’t write the posts. Will we see the same calling for the ouster of those involved with this? Will Vince powers and crew be calling for those peoples heads? Or will the campaign manager continue to work for the state party?

Really, Bob, no one (maybe one troll) is okay with the website. I, as a fairly liberal Dem involved in local politics, hope the person is exposed and fired. If it’s James, good riddance. Sadly it will probably mean a move out of state and a promotion for the guilty person as that is how politics seems to work today on both sides of the aisle.