Trumpapalooza in CB

Trump stageFor an Iowa rally, that was a lot of Nebraska.

Donald Trump blew into Council Bluffs last night, by way of Omaha’s Eppley Airfield, and gave a Trump rally to Trump fans.

He spoke for an hour and fifteen minutes.

One hour and fifteen. All talking.

And there was no intermission.

Heck, consider that many people got there at 4:00pm or earlier, he didn’t go on until about 6:45pm and didn’t end until about 8:00pm.

If you were really into Trump, that’s a solid four hours of time on your feet.

So what did you get? Well, first, it was in the relatively small Exhibition Hall that is connected to the main arena at CB’s Mid-America Center. He could have used a larger room.

Here were people packed into the front half:

Trump Crowd

And then that went down either side (with a big press riser in the middle) and then people in the far back as well.

I’d guess there were at least 2,000 people in there — but I haven’t seen anything exact. Everyone had to pass through metal detectors so the crowd was still filing in after Trump had already started. (Heard on the radio that there were 500 people who DIDN’T get in.)

And what did he have to say?

Well…Trump stuff.

He didn’t really break any news. He is clearly making a push for Iowa’s Evangelical vote, brandishing a Bible at the start. And he made a sort of left-handed knock on Ted Cruz not really being an Evangelical. (Interestingly, Rick Santorum made a similar comment yesterday as well.)

And he had some generic hits Hillary. A whack at Caroline Kennedy as Ambassador of Japan.

But otherwise there were lots and LOTS of…poll numbers. “I’m ahead in this poll, and that poll, and the press doesn’t say it, but I am, and the press stinks, and I’d be great at making deals…”

Nothing you haven’t heard before.

The closest he got to a detailed policy was saying he’d tax foreign-made American imports (like Fords built in Mexico) an additional 35%.

Though he could easily walk that back.

So here was the interesting part:

At one point Trump expressed his love of Omaha. And the crowd gave a loud cheer. So he asked how many were from Nebraska.

And probably 80% of the crowd raised their hands. And I think he was surprised. And probably a little disappointed.

There is a feeling by many (expressed yesterday by Hugh Hewitt, among others) that Ted Cruz is going to win Iowa. The gist is that the Caucuses demand an organization, and Cruz has one and Trump does not.

I’m not sure the CB rally helped Trump in that aspect. Posters were up asking people to help organize and represent at their caucus site.

Trump Sign

With just a month to go, you would think or hope that would already be in place.

Well, at this point I’m not sure underestimating Trump is the right game plan.

But if the rally in Council Bluffs, that was more Nebraska than Iowa, is an indication, a primary may be better for Trump than a caucus.

Of course we won’t have to wait long to find out.

**Click here to watch the entire speech.**

And share Leavenworth St. with your friends!

I was at the event last night…the Donald is definitely an entertainer. The two others I was with said they felt like they were watching a Jerry Seinfeld standup bit, as the commentary was all over the board with a lot of “what is it with these people” comments.

I imagine there would have been more folks at the event if it wasn’t for the absolute horrid event entry situation…15 degrees and have everyone file through one single door. Not an entire entrance section, but one single door through an entrance section.

Last, but not least, a gentleman in front of me was interviewed (video) by someone from the Huffington Post. His signs caught the attention of the reporter…..she did her best to race bait the gentleman into what I’m sure will be a hit piece on Donald and GOPers. He had no idea who or what the Huffington Post is…once we explained, he was pleased he didn’t say anything extreme.

2. Lil Mac says:

Sweeper, underestimating Trump is indeed unwise. But it is also unwise to overestimate the Iowa GOP Caucus as a predictor of any presidential outcome.

1976: IA Republicans picked Ford, result was President Carter (D).
    1980: IA Republicans picked GHW Bush, result is President Reagan (R).
    1984: Reagan unopposed (for second term).
    1988: IA Republican picked Dole, result is President GHW Bush (R).
    1992: IA Republicans picked GHW Bush, result is President Bill Clinton (D).
    1996: IA Republicans pick Dole, result is Clinton’s (D) second term.
    2000: IA Republicans pick GW Bush—BINGO!—result is President GW Bush (R).
    2004: GW Bush unopposed (for second term).
    2008: IA Republicans pick Huckabee; McCain is nominee but loses to President Obama (D).
    2012: IA Republican pick Santorum; Romney is nominee but loses to President Obama (D).

In almost four decades, Iowa Republicans accurately predicted the president once. Half the time they haven’t even picked their own GOP nominee. And lately they seem to be getting worse.

“So does that mean Trump hopes for the best, but really puts his faith in New Hampshire and South Carolina?” You said it Sweeper. Only Trump doesn’t hope. He assesses and acts.

The main thing Iowa means for Trump is free press. He as much as said that back in August. If he dumps some millions (pocket change) into Iowa ads, that will be because he sees an opportunity to win Iowa. He doesn’t need it but I’d like a clean sweep.

• Reader says:

You’re comin’ on strong on Trump, Lil Mac! And he’s certainly doing very well, but as I wrote to you a few days ago, I just don’t see him beating Hilary Clinton. I do not believe she will be indicted and I do not believe Bill’s campaigning will hinder her chances because I do not believe the electorate cares more about Bill’s dalliances than about Trump’s divorces. We’ll get some off-color-jokes but little more of a campaign built on ‘womanizing.’ Don’t forget, Lil Mac, most women want abortion to remain legal and safe. And they don’t look to Republicans for that!

• Ed Stevens says:

Lil Mac:

Naaah … the Iowa cau-ha-ha-cuses are attended primarily by what the Internet has denominated “Walmart people’ – sweat pants, tube-tops, plain label beer, etc. The denizens of the Unicameral aren’t nearly that sophisticated.

People in the lead never enlighten anyone. It only loses votes.

If you really do find sexual meaning in Trump, you need help.

4. According to the Civis poll this morning, Trump’s strongest supporters are registered Democrats, in the border states of WV and KY, who usually vote Republican in presidential contests. Quintessential Appalachian white trash.

• Anon says:

Wow GH, they may have been hit hard by the coal thing. Would Hillary be coasting if Trump had not been disrupting the media agenda, with Jeb in closest pursuit?

• repenting lawyer says:

ProfGH, Trump’s appeal is to a kind of embitter populism like McCarthy and Wallace. Good folks in the mountains tend to be of Scotch-Irish decent, your lace curtain is showing.

• Lace curtain Irish is an American phrase, and refers to catholic immigrants from the South of Ireland, not the largely presbyterian Scots Irish who mostly came over in the 18th century.

But go ahead, keep lecturing an Irishman about the Irish.

• repenting lawyer says:

ProfGH, Lace curtain is theIrish American equivalent of getting above your station. Knowing that you were from Ulster, I was kidding you about the white trash line.I am well aware of the Ulster Protestant heritage of the mountains, both from American religious history and blue grass music, even the GrandOld Opry. Actually you are lecturing me on Irish american history, my history, but let that pass. You are being remarkably thin skinned if my attempt at humor has gotten you this worked.

• Sparkles says:

The Civis Analytics (a Democratic polling firm) poll specifically reveals that Trump’s strongest support comes from Republicans who are less affluent and less educated, yet less likely to vote.

What you left out of your depiction of the data revealing “registered Democrats” as Trump ‘best voters’, is that those same voters self-identify as Republicans.

The polls specifically notes the data is based on interviews with 11,000 “Republican-leaning” respondents.

One would imagine this group found the election the first black man as POTUS, to be an Edmund Pettus Bridge too far.

• Google “Donald Trump’s Strongest Supporters: A Certain Kind of Democrat”. Guess the NY Times reporter (undoubtedly a right-wing hack) got it wrong too.

The ‘self-identified Republicans’ who are actually registered Democrats are just confused registered Democrats. Just as Kathy Campbell, a registered Republican, is a confused registered Republican.

“So the Appalachian white trash to whom you’re referring, left the democratic party long ago. They just haven’t yet scratched an X on the voter registration form.”

The governor of West Virginia is a Democrat. One of the two US senators is a Democrat. Doesn’t seem they’ve quite left the party yet.

• Sparkles says:

The Civis Analytics survey also showed Trump’s map of support to be very similar to a map of the tendency toward racism by region.

• Sparkles says:

Gerard,
        Your welcome to continue to delude yourself with a little Irish jiggering of the data.

But for the empirical audience, it’s hard to misinterpret the terms:
        “self-identified Republicans”
        and
        “11,000 Republican-leaning respondents”

• repenting lawyer says:

Sparkles, The term is not jiggering, we call them Irish facts, they may not be true but they make the story better, as in Guiness is a basic food group. Times says the group identifies with R at the POTUS level but not that they have changed affiliation. Seems you ProfGH are engaged in a non argument.

• Both of you are obnoxious hypocrites, who would have a fit if someone bandied about African American stereotypes the way you bandy Irish ones.

Only 29% of the alleged ‘self identified Republicans’ were actually registered Republicans. Jigger that.

5. repenting lawyer says:

ProfGH, I am the Irish stereotype, though I follow Matt Talbot. Heard Barry FitzGerald at AOH communion breakfast before you were born. I was agreeing with you, almost more dangerous than being critical.

• repenting lawyer says:

ProfGH, My Maternal Grandfather was from Kilkenny and was an Omaha cop, His wife’s family had come a generation before and were shirttail relatives of the first American Cardinal. On my father’s side, they all came and built railroads and stayed in the railroad business, though a great-uncle became a VP of UP, described in official history as ” loud mouthed, red faced, bull necked Irish John Gogarty. ” How is that for stereotyping? I do not mind your claim to greater expertise about the Old Sod, but in the USA I am as Irish as patty’s pig, and I suspect I have a claim to being an expert.

• repenting lawyer says:

ProfGH I should add that both Irish facts and Guiness as a basic food group are typical examples of Irish American humor, rather like the Notre Dame symbol using the 19th century stage Irishman. They have no real reference to the Irish at home, so I was mocking myself not you.

• RL: Oh Christ, I knew a hundred guys like you in Boston, and I wanted to strangle them all.

Let me tell you something about being Irish. I was watching an international football game, in the 90’s, in Dublin. It was being shown on British TV, although it was Ireland vs. (who knows?). The British commentators were making fun of Paul McGrath, who happend to be black, with all sorts of snide remarks about ‘black Irish’. The guy next to me in the bar turned to his mate and said “F!@# stupid. The moment Paul McGrath opens his mouth, you know he’s from Ringsend” (actually, he’s from Inchicore, but whatev.). Point was, his accent marked him as Irish, and his genealogy was irrelevant.

Being Irish is cultural, not genetic. The average Irishman doesn’t give a flying f!@# your maternal grandfather was from Kilkenny. His nationality expired as soon as he lost his accent. Similarly, Paul McGrath is, and Phil Lynott was, Irish in a way you’ll never be. You have to realize, those of us who grew up in Dublin are sick to the back teeth of Yanks who came over, didn’t like the beer, wore loud green clothes and proclaimed themselves Irish.

You’re a Yank, buddy. Lose the hyphenation. You’re not Irish in any way an Irishman would recognize. In fact, your obsession with your roots marks you as very American. Not that there’s anything wrong with that. Back in Ireland, they consider me a Yank, and I don’t object. I’ve assimilated.

6. repenting lawyer says:

ProfGH, I have no doubt that you are right that the Irish American is not Irish as in Ireland, and that the Irish probably find the hyphen annoying. But our debate was about the Irish American tradition and I was simply try to prove my knowledge of that dying but not yet dead tradition. I claimed nothing more.