Sasse to Hannity: What you’re doing is bullcrap!

Sasse v Hannity 05
Senator Ben Sasse confront Sean Hannity at CPAC

Nebraska Senator Ben Sasse’s mission against Donald Trump hasn’t slowed much, and he is now taking on Trump’s supporters — even those in the media.

At CPAC yesterday, Sasse “jetted up” to FOXNews’s Sean Hannity while Hannity was speaking with Glen Beck.

According to Beck, Sasse then said to Hannity:

“Sean Hannity, what you are doing is bullcrap!”

“He was angry. … And Sean said, ‘Excuse me?’ And he said, ‘What you’re doing is bullcrap!’

And he [Hannity] said, ‘Who are you?’ Which didn’t make things better,” Beck continued.

“And he said, ‘I am Senator Ben Sasse.’”

Sasse then went on to say to Hannity…

“You have gone on the air and said because I took what I believe to be a moral position and said I cannot vote for Donald Trump, I will not vote for Donald Trump, you are telling my constituents that I am voting for Hillary Clinton. And I am not voting for Hillary Clinton.”

And I have to say that this is the first time I’ve heard Sasse’s opposition to Trump as being a “moral position”.

Does that mean that all those people voting for Trump at amoral?

Hannity responded saying,

“I didn’t say that. It’s half a vote for Hillary Clinton.”

Some other local views…

But Sasse’s anti-Trumpianship isn’t just bugging newscasters.

It is also getting to elected officials in Nebraska.

State Senator Beau McCoy:

“It is a little interesting and peculiar when we’re looking at winning in November,” and said he “struggled to see how Sasse’s statements help Republicans.”

State Senator Bob Krist:

called Sasse’s comments immature, and said Sasse needs to realize he’s no longer a professor or college president.

“This is one of those times that you quietly and in a statesman-like manner allow the system to work out and provide the leadership that needs to be provided.”

Millard School Board President Mike Kennedy:

“If Trump wins the nomination I will vote for the Republican and not tear our party apart like some for political gain.”

Senator Deb Fischer:

She went on record months ago as supporting the eventual nominee, and a few weeks ago as endorsing Senator Marco Rubio.

Yesterday during her weekly press call she noted,

“I’ve chosen the candidate I’m supporting in this primary. I haven’t made a secret of it. And I’m going to continue to work for a really strong good candidate.”

“I do not want to see a continuation of this administration’s policies into the future.”

Fischer didn’t specifically call out Sasse, but one doesn’t have to stretch to far to see that she is noting her support for a specific candidate, as opposed to just tearing down Trump.

Aggggh!

And on that note, that was some debate last night, eh?

You know, when there are all of those futuristic shows and movies and such, they all seem to be about flying cars and hoverboards.

Rarely do you see them accurately predict politics.
Such as this:

Screen Shot 2016-03-04 at 10.55.40 AM

Thank you CNN, for getting right to the crux of the matter.

(Lovely conversation I got to have with my kid during the debate last night…)

Of course we’re probably just a few weeks away from…

Oh good lord!

Fun watching the debate with all of you on the Twitter last night.

Along with the above mess, there was THIS that was just…bwbwbbwbhahabwbwb.

I can’t even..uh…ooh boy.

In the mean time the Socialist is taking selfies in Lincoln and Hillary’s server tech just got immunity.

Periscope Up

Hey have a great weekend!

Keep an eye on @LeavenworthSt on the Twitter this early evening, as I may do a live Periscope or two (you can see it via the link on the Twitter).

1. AL says:

I hate to do it, but I do somewhat agree with Ben Sasse. I will not vote for Donald Trump. He is not a conservative, he is a bully, he supports Planned Parenthood, he is accused of defrauding thousands of Americans with Trump University. He says he will force the military to break the law, that he will bully Paul Ryan to get his way. He is a disaster. I held my nose and voted for McCain in 2008, and I vowed after the 2012 election when I held my nose and voted for Mitt Romney, and Lee Terry, I would NEVER do it again. I won’t. If I can’t vote FOR someone, I’ll write someone in, or I’ll leave it blank. It is a moral position, it is a position the Founders would have taken. I want someone who stands as a Constitutional Conservative.

• “Donald Trump has the highest unfavorable rating since Gallup began tracking the indicator for nominated candidates from either political party during the 1992 elections. Just two days before the Iowa caucuses, 60 percent of Americans surveyed view Trump unfavorably, versus 33 percent who see him favorably.”

Yeah, looks like a sure thing.

• Anonymous says:

The only thing Trump has in his bag are a couple of tiny testicles to match his famously tiny weenie.

• No, if you’d bothered to look up the poll, it sampled all Americans, not registered voters or likely voters.

I know, telling a Trumpkin to look at the facts is like telling a bat to look at the sun.

• We tens of millions of Trump supporters don’t care. Planned Parenthood? We don’t care. Trump University? We don’t care. The military breaking the law? We don’t care.

Americans are fed-up, and Trump is our way to lash out at the fools from both parties who have been working hard to both destroy the middle class and American Liberty.

• The Grundle King says:

Well, at least SOME Trump supporters value honesty…though it’s certainly disheartening to see supposed conservatives abandoning conservative values to flock to a man whom they admire for the simple fact that he’s a blowhard.

• Republican Donor says:

@Grundle

I support Trump because he can win, because he isn’t owned by special interests, and because he seems to be very pro-Taxpayer and pro-Business – that’s enough for me at this point. I gave up on “conservative values” being properly defended and projected by GOP politicians a long time ago…the RINO’s let us down in this regard, time and time again. Now I just want to win.

2. Bluejay says:

Sean Hannity to Ben Sasse,”Who are you?”

I am so, so sick of Hannity the shill.

And if Bob Krist doesn’t like Ben Sasse’s job performance, then run against him in 2020. Sasse would clean his clock.

3. HTH says:

Sen. Sasse is wise, principled, and represents the views of a lot of TRUE conservatives. Not only will I vote for him next time he runs for any office, but I will be going door to door for him.

But shame on Sen. Fischer (an establishment favorite, mind you, looking out for number one) and co for taking the moral low ground. Sasse was right – being a conservative should be more important than being a Republican. And we’ll continue to lose ground with voters, lose credibility internationally, and lose our ideology internally until we remember that.

HTH

• HTH says:

Contrary to what you may think, the word “conservative” isn’t a meaningless word you can attach to any blowhard or goose stepper you want. Conservatism means holding to the ideals of our founders, something neither you nor the rest of Trump’s Chumps understand.

HTH

• Christian, Husband, Father, Son, Brother, American, Conservative says:

@HTH,

We’ve taken over your beloved “conservative” Republican Party…the keys are in our hands.

You don’t like it? Leave.

• Christian, Husband, Father, Son, Brother, American, Conservative says:

You Convenient Conservatives never cease to amuse.

Were these actions “Conservative”?

1. Medicare Part D
        2. Formation (and expenditure) of DHS
        3. TSA
        4. Invasion of Iraq (and lies about WMD’s there)
        5. Refusal to hold Saudi Arabia at all responsible for 9/11 (even after discovering all the attackers were from there).
        6. 20+ years of absolute failure of the VA and nothing done under Bush or a Republican-“led” Congress.
        7. Appointment of John Roberts to Supreme Court by Bush, who ended up being the deciding vote for implementation of the ACA.
        8. Refusal by Congress to actually fight to defund Planned Parenthood.
        9. Refusal by Bush and Congress to properly defend our Southern border.
        10. $1 Trillion+ (probably much more) Bankster Bailout, while never prosecuting a single banker.

I could go on and on and on and on, but hopefully you are getting a glimpse of why it’s time to put the adults in charge of the GOP. Do you really think we all believe Trump is the “savior” for all of America’s woes? Not even close – the guy is a lightweight and we know it, but we see how the masses are so easily drawn to him which will propel him to the Presidency. The blueprint has been drawn, and state-by-state we will elect our people into Congress — this entire transformation will happen very quickly (6-10 years tops).

To put this into plain terms — the “New Republican Party” is the old Libertarian Party.

4. Trump just reversed himself from what he said 18 hours ago; that he would order US troops to commit war crimes.

I love you people who think anything he says can be taken to the bank.

5. The Grundle King says:

Yeah, Krist gets a big F.O. for his bullcrap…his vote to side with Chambers et al on LB289 pretty much disqualifies him from criticizing anybody for their ‘conservativeness’ henceforth.

And no, F.O. does not stand for ‘friendly offering’.

6. Sparkles says:

It amazes me people like McCoy, Krist, Kennedy, Fischer et al would so readily put party before country.
    It’s actually unconscionable of Fischer, who sits on the Armed Services Committee and Chairs the Subcommittee on Emerging Threats.

An array of the most revered military and foreign policy experts among the right have gone on record stating they would NEVER vote for Trump. As President he would pose a threat to not only international relations but to the very security of our homeland. They’ve publicly stated were the ballot to come down to Hillary vs. Trump, for the sake of national security, they’re voting Hillary.

Read the warning yourself –
    OPEN LETTER ON DONALD TRUMP FROM GOP NATIONAL SECURITY LEADERS

104 signatories – all of them Republican – all of them prominent, respected military and foreign policies experts.

7. Meanwhile, in the Weekly Standard, a glowing writeup of Ben Sasse’s CPAC-2016 speech, from Shoshana Weissmann.

Google “Republican Senator Focuses on Long-Ignored Amendment”

• Sparkles says:

Not arguing the libertarian philosophy (fringe, where it will forever remain) of the piece, but that’s a horribly written article and Sasse ventures off into some real Palinesque rambling.

I know times are tough at the Weekly Standard and were it not for a couple generous right wing whales (Rupert Murdoch) they’d bury it’s long dead carcass (since it’s founding, it’s never been profitable), but there’s simply not excuse for forcing readers to slog through messes such as that article.

8. Sparkles says:

But of course, where else would Nebraska’s Senator be camped out this week, other than the annual CPAC hatenanny.
    Cause ya know, cameras ‘n all.

• Sparkles says:

It was on a flyer tucked in the cardboard box in which my liberal moonbat decoder ring arrived.

I use the ring to try to decipher Trumpkinese.
        As far as I can tell it’s a blend of old timey George Wallace bigotry, mixed in with a heaping helping of Vince McMahon, laced with some new aged Palin and topped off with a whole lot of flat-out crazy, ala Benny ‘the Blade’ Carson.

Rumor has it, it’s McMahon for veep.

• Well, I agree mostly, but I think you missed the con-artist element. While Trump has been disastrously bad at running businesses, he’s been excellent at getting suckers to back his schemes. Some of the latest crop of suckers are right here.

9. The Eye Ball says:

The only thing immature is to comment on the actions of other Republicans without talking to them.
    Sasse has had foresight to make his point very clear. Voting for Trump is a bad idea. Trump just cancelled doing a speech at CPAC tomorrow. What does that tell you about Trump?

If the GOP does not wake up to the fact more people fear Trump than Hillary, there will be no Republican in the White House.

10. A few points:
    1. Bob Krist is not conservative. He uses the Republican name to further his own selfish and idiotic unconservative ends. Look at his voting record, his temperament, anything… he’s a shill and doesn’t represent anything except the crony interests that have taken over far too much of the Party.
    2. Disappointed in Senator Fischer for putting party over principle/country. I love Senator Fischer, but couldn’t disagree more on this.
    3. (See the trend?) The people you quoted (with the possible exception of Senator McCoy) are typical Establishment Republican politicians. Which is fine, but that’s not what the American people are screaming for right now.
    Main Point: Senator Sasse is 100% correct, and I applaud his leadership. Sean Hannity has been a Trump hack from the start, and now is bashing Marco Rubio while all but endorsing Trump. This is madness, and I’m glad Senator Sasse stood up for principle.

• anon says:

Bob Krist is a Republican, just like Kathy Campbell and McCollister, just because he has Ernie’s shoe polish on his tongue he is still a republican which qualifies as a conservative so it is OK if he votes the same as Ernie

11. “I don’t think that Trump can win, frankly, because I don’t think there are enough morons to elect him.”

Bill James, guru of Moneyball.

You can find this quote in a great piece by David Bernstein in Politico, called “Donald Trump Needs 7 of 10 White Guys”.

• Christian, Husband, Father, Son, Brother, American, Conservative says:

He will probably pull-in 8 out of 10 from the demographic you mentioned (of likely voters).

• Sparkles says:

Since 1976 there have only been two presidential elections where the Republican nominees won over 60 percent of the white vote, 1984 and 1988.

In 1980, Ronald Reagan won 56 percent of all white voters and won election in a 44-state landslide.
        In 2012, Romney carried 59 percent of all white voters and lost decisively.
        African-Americans, Latinos, Asians and other non-whites — all overwhelmingly Democratic-leaning groups — rose from 12 percent of voters in 1980 to 28 percent in 2012.
        Even this demographic ignores a demographic shift more devastating to the Republican party – educational attainment.
        In both 2008 and 2012, Republicans’ best, most reliable voting group by far was white voters without college degrees. This is a group that declines 3 percentage points every four years as a share of the overall electorate.

Democrats’ coalition of non-white, young and well-educated voters continues to expand every election, while Republicans’ coalition of white, older and less-educated voters keeps shrinking.

You’re predictions of a conservative resurgence, lead by Donald Trump, is delusional.

Donald Trump is a unprincipled con man, a bigot and a sophomoric buffoon.
        Republicans (or ‘Tea Partiers’ or ‘true conservatives’, or ‘constitutional conservatives’, or ‘first principles conservatives’, or whatever you decide to all yourselves next week) have for decades lacked the vision and conviction to actually lead. For the sake of the next cycle’s election they’ve pandered to, embraced and stoked the furies of an old, angry white, ill-educated, regressively fundamentalist base.
        Instead of stepping up and saying “No, angry mob, we’re not going to defund Planned Parenthood simply because a couple (now criminally indicted) activists manufactured a fake scandal.”
        “No, angry mob, we’re not going to pass a balanced budget amendment, because the most respected economists on the planet tell us that doing so will very likely lead to the collapse of the global economy”
        “No, angry mob, we’re not going to overturn a law enshrined in the constitution 35 years, by a 7-2 vote of SCOTUS, and strip from every women in the nation their right to choose.”

The GOPs short sighted strategy to pander, instead of lead, has been devastating to the welfare and security of our nation.
        It’s a strategy that has, finally, brought about the ugly, frantic, gasping demise of the party that we’re right now witnessing.

Enjoy your time in the wilderness.

12. Jmurra says:

I completely agree with Senator Sasse’s positio, it reflects mine. I will not vote for Trump if he is the nominee, I have more common sense than to vote for a “party” rather than the person. And I won’t vote Hillary either.

Look at twitter and facebook. All about Ben. He cares nothing for us. All this talk about Trump is just another ploy to put the focus on Ben. Why didn’t he continue to campaign for cruz or rubio in other states? Because Iowa was a news story, after that it was work. And where is his bill on obamacare? That’s all he talked about in the primary and we haven’t seen anything from him since. Always in right wing national news, gives lots of speeches, why don’t we see him in Nebraska?

14. Pole Stirrer says:

Trump’s low favorabilities seems to run counter to the high respect in which many voters hold Trump. This perplexes pundits and pollsters. It seems counterintuitive. The problem is, favorability isn’t a measure of leadership. It just isn’t.

Polled unfavorables result from poll questions that invariably begin, “Who do you like…” They don’t ask who you respect, they ask who you like. And no one likes Trump. Yet his supporters respect Trump far above anyone who wants to be liked by voters.

Trump is as blunt and unforgiving in grading political accomplishment as we might expect a professor is in grading students, which is why students respect hard professors. Students “like” professors who are “easy A’s”. Yet little good use comes from easy. We gain more from the hard.

Political scientists tend to be long on politics and short on science. And thus the language of polling is not based on rigorously assessed leadership functions but rather stems from age old traditions of voters swallowing so much schmooze that most are habituated to think that one being adept at schmoozing –being liked– is a proper measure of leadership. It is not.

As parents, we wish to be liked but need to be respected by our children, lest they raise themselves in a feral state of largess. Managers, presidents, and the USA itself need to be respected. Because, frankly, what we “like” is always harmless or pitiable, such as puppies, kittens, or drunken roommates. Yet we respect things powerful enough to harm us, for only they are powerful enough to protect us.

Polling favorability and likablity in an attempt to measure leadership electability is a formula for turning lead into gold. It doesn’t work. But that doesn’t keep pollsters from embracing the alchemy.

• Of copurse, Gallup doesn’t ask “who do you like…” They ask “Next, we’d like to get your overall opinion of some people in the news. As I read each name, please say if you have a favorable or unfavorable opinion of these people — or if you have never heard of them.”

The self-delusion here is breathtaking. I think most of you are sufering from Pauline Kael syndrome.

15. Toasty says:

Mitt says “I won’t run for President”. Of course he won’t. He wants to be appointed the GOP nominee at a brokered convention that ignores the will of 75% of GOP voters who support anti-Elite candidates Trump and Cruz. Of course, that would cause GOP voters to burn Romney at the stake.

Romney’s own staff called Mitt “wooden”. That means a fiscally responsible mob can burn Sasse and use Mitt as the stake.

When did media start doing infomercials for Ben Sasse? Doesn’t he have some Senatorial work that needs to be done. Enough Sweeper. There are other serious topics other this guy’s opportunist grab for any spotlight. How about the part of public…..servant? Get this guy a job. Oh that’s right. He has one. Serving we the people not he the glory hound.

• The Grundle King says:

“Get this guy a job. Oh that’s right. He has one. Serving we the people not he the glory hound.”

Ironic. You’re criticizing a guy for being what you characterize as a ‘glory hound’, all because he’s dared to criticize an actual, documented glory hound.

Which guy had his own reality TV show?
      Which guy brags about the size of his wedding tackle?
      Which guy brags about the number of women he’s had?
      Which guy brags about his personal wealth?

17. bynd says:

How fun. It’s like being the only sober person at a party of drunks. Couldn’t make this stuff up no matter how hard one would try!

18. Goldline says:

Glenn Beck probably set the Hannity incident up, as his career is that of a manipulator,but it failed with Hannity’s “who are you”. Glenn forgot to tell political Twe(ea)(tk)er to put on his HELLO, my name is Ben nametag.

19. Lil Mac says:

This isn’t a good time to discuss caucuses with Republicans because Trump gets his ass kicked in caucuses. Frankly, the “new grassroots” is a candidate coming to you once an hour on twitter and Trump has a lock on that. That will bring him the delegates for sure because most states have primaries not caucuses, except for tonight. Tonight’s three caucuses are exactly like the Pilgrims voted in colonial America; I. e. show up at the church and the party elders glare at you, ready to burn you as a witch if you don’t vote correctly (for Ted).

I predict Ted get the three caucus states tonight and maybe lucky Donald gets LA. We shall see. But Ted also gets the CPAC straw poll. And Marco Rubio should tank, thus leaving RNC leaders in a very uncomfortable position. Cruz will be energized, Trump confident, and Jeb’s replacement crushed.

After tonight, RNC leaders will fear for their lives. And I mean the being ripped apart by wild dogs sort of fear.

Chairman Reince Priebus, who has unsuccessfully been trying to jimmy this lock from the inside, will be openly and concretely screwed into three very uncomfortable choices.

A. Trump who the GOP dlslikes.

B. Cruz who the GOP hates.

C. Romney who wants to be appointed GOP nominee over the protestations of Trump and Cruz voters who are active because they hate Romney worse than sin.

This last scenario results in Reince Priebus being burnt alive. Lindsay Graham has already pointed out that the Romney option will destroy the Republican Party and yet Graham hates Cruz and Trump.

The better Cruz does tonight, the more Wrenched Prepuce’s prepuce is wrenched.

Good. I want the GOP’s leadership to suffer. They have made Americans suffer under Obama.

• Those are in the goober belt. Trump undoubtedly has a base of support among a certain group of middle-aged white men, who are angry the world has rendered them socially and economically useless, and want to scream and yell about it.

• Impartial Observer says:

Trump is actually pulling significant support from women, people of all races & faiths, as well as both the rich and poor. Try again.

• Impartial Observer says:

Provided Trump wins both Ohio and Florida (along with the other states where he has a significant lead at this time), the nomination will be locked-up. Try again.

• Uh, it has very few Irishmen, drunk or otherwise. It’s demographically very similar to Nebraska.

My feeling is it’s the large German-American population, who embrace ‘never again’. Have you seen the photos of the Nazi salutes from the crowd at the Trump rally in Florida? Shocking.

• NotChuck says:

Not very original, Gewawd! The talking heads were already using the “Nuremberg” code word in the same TV segment that they were claiming that Trump supporters were using racist code words. Were those the same “nazi” salutes (raising one’s right hand when taking an oath) that legal immigrants use when repeating the oath of citizenship? Or when Obama, his 44 predecessors, and millions of American military commissioned officers repeated their oath of office to support and defend the Constitution against all enemies, foreign and domestic? Shocking, indeed!

20. Smell my tenure says:

Bill Gates, JFK, Teddy, Gates, Jeff Skilling, Theodore Kaczynski, RWP. In that order. What say you local bird nerd?

21. The Sunday Times of London has another story of Trump bullying an old widow. This time it was Molly Forbes, a 90 year old grandmother of Aberdeenshire, Scotland, who had the insolence to have a farm on the golf-resort the Donald wants to build. Trump has cut off her water, had his security guards harass her, and even built a large wall around her property (what is it with walls?). He attempted to use eminent domain (they call it condemnation in Scotland) to force her out, but the local council, who can’t stand him either. She has, as the Sunday Times says, “an undimmed determination not to be beaten by a man who has done so much to wreck her life”.

Let’s let Molly sum this up:

“Donald Trump is a Yank and a stupid one at that. He is a bairn who has never grown up. He needs a skelped backside. We just laugh at everything he says. Improve the area? He’ll have to improve himself first”

• One can, of course, find Donald Trump ranting against the Forbes, calling them pigs and disgusting. He has no idea how to argue, except to heap insults his adversary. That isn’t ‘proven false’; on the contrary, the opposite of anything Donald Trump says is likely to be the truth.

BTW, The Sunday Times is Murdoch-owned and anything but a left wing source.

• anon says:

GH(Giant Head) Romney-Romney, the globalist said when I go to other countries they ask what is going on with this Trump guy. He worries more about what other countries think

• First of all, you should worry when the rest of the world thinks your potential president is a deranged lunatic clown. And it’s not like the Brits are relying on the media; Trump has been involved in Scotland for a decade. Even his former friends have abandoned him.

22. Lil Mac says:

The news today is “Cruz has momentum”. Yea, in Samoa. Brush up on geography and do the math.

Cruz has won 6 states, 4 of which were closed caucuses where GOP operatives look over your shoulder while you vote. Cruz is advantaged in caucuses while Trump does better in Primaries. Trump has won 11 states so far, two of which were closed caucuses.

Of the remaining 33 states and territories where Republicans yet will vote, only 7 are caucuses or conventions that should benefit Cruz; Hawaii (19), DC (19), Marianas (9), USVI (9), Guam (9) and Samoa (9). 74 delegates total.

That leaves 1,401 GOP delegates in 26 GOP Primaries, 13 of which are open or mixed, meaning Independents and Conservative Democrats can vote for Trump inside voting booths where party operatives aren’t looking over their shoulder. We and add Rubio and Kasich to this mix without it changing much or anything of this situation.

• Rubio just swept all the delegates in Puerto Rico. Trump now needs 63% of the remaining delegates, for a majority. Cruz won 2 yesterday and was close in 2 more. The tide has changed.

• Republican Donor says:

Puerto Rico voted for the establishment-backed Cuban? Shocker!

Look for Trump and Cruz to announce their joint-ticket right before the convention, with Cruz handing all of his delegates to Trump.

Ah, yea, The Cuban gets Puerto Rico. So that was a surprise to you?

If you are advocating that delegates choose against most voters, keep in mind that our armed forces wars on countries who treat democracy that way.

• repenting lawyer says:

Anonymous at 7:09, Rubio is an American of Cuban descent, and Puerto Rico’s population are American citizens There have been delegates from PR at R conventions for years≥ With three delegates there was a regular demand for a poll of the delegation in the 50s.Are you trying to prove Trumps followers are old white male bigots?

• Republican Donor says:

Puerto Ricans can’t vote in the General Election, so why are they able to vote in the primaries? Honest question.

• repenting lawyer says:

Republican donnor, There have been participants from PR in both Conventions for as long as I remember, 1948. The vote is for delegates to the conventions. The rationale,if there is one, is that they have delegates in Congress. There use to be delegates from the Canal Zone, when there was one, and DC had delegates before votes in Presidential elections.

Repenting lawyer at 8:08, remind us to never retain you as a legal advocate.

Sorry to dash your expectations but I have been many times to Puerto Rico and to Cuba. And my immediate family are naturalized American citizens, we came here legally, English isn’t our birth language, and we are not white, not Caucasian. We are racial minorities and naturalized US citizens.

This shouldn’t be a problem for you except that we support Trump for President and that is not something you like, so in your mind we have to be stupid old white guys. Instead, all of our university degrees are cum laude or above and we aren’t white. But some of us are guys. Yet all of us, women too, have sworn under oath to “protect and defend” this nation. And chances are, you and your family if born here and never swore any oath to become Americans. You didn’t work for it. We did.

I feel like telling you to “pack sand, shyster”. But it is more useful if I explain why we support Trump.

Before last July, we knew nothing of Trump but that he was a brash host of a show we didn’t watch. We didn’t like him. And we still don’t like him. What’s to like? However, when he said we need a border and to round up all the illegals and deport them, we cheered like never before. And we looked harder as we saw more. We are Republicans and saw our GOP leadership fold like a bunch of Rubio’s advocating for legalizing millions of criminal invaders.

Keep in mind that we, like Trump’s mother and his wife, had to work hard to become US citizens. We were delighted with Trump being the only person in America who wants to do what is needed for this USA to survive. We chose this country. We have lived in tyranny overseas. We love the USA beyond anything you can guess. And Trump is the first politician we have seen to be the antidote to the USA’s cancers.

Sorry if this sounds harsh but, lawyer, you really read this all wrong.

• Republican Donor says:

The majority of American citizens feel exactly as you do in this regard, which is why Trump will be our next President.

• repenting lawyer says:

Anonymous at 8:37, it was the tone of the post I objected to, not the support of Trump. Arguing about what to do about illegal immigration is a debatable issue, but the Nativism implicit in the comment is not. It is a reminder of the worst in America. My family is descended from Irish immigrants from before the Civil War to the end of the 19th Century. The earliest probably spoke Irish, and there was a great fear Irish would become the national language. They were Catholics and were not though capable of real Americanism. Similar fears were expressed about other groups., particularly Jews and Eastern Europeans. It is only in very recent times that immigration laws became accepting of Asians.
      If I misread your comment I apologize, but my point was that if you are in favor of Trump you might want to use a rhetoric less divisive.

25. Come on Sam, Nazi's? says:

Professor-I knew you could not resist. C’mon nazis, you can do better than Glenn Beck. Of all of Trump’s faults he is a nazi? Give me a break.

• The Grundle King says:

Except that ‘Godwin’s Law’ is based on people drawing a false equivalency between Nazis and another group of people supporting a position or candidate. In this case, that ‘other group of people’ would be the Trumpkins. And the equivalency…while incomplete…can hardly be considered false when you consider the congruent ideologies in the following subjects:
        – Treatment of racial minorities
        – Nativism
        – Nebulous restoration of ‘national greatness’
        – Anti-semitism (and let’s be honest on this last point…the ‘conservatives’ voting for Trump are the folks who blame the Jews for killing Jesus, rather than rightly blaming the Roman Empire)