EXCLUSIVE: Senator Beau McCoy endorses Donald Trump

Beau McCoy 02In an exclusive interview with Leavenworth St., Nebraska State Senator, former candidate for Governor and national chairman for the Council of State Governments, Beau McCoy has announced that he is endorsing Donald Trump for President. He is one of the first major local politicians to express his support for the GOP Presidential candidate.

McCoy was an early Jeb Bush supporter, and the co-chair of the Bush Nebraska campaign.

“I consider myself an establishment Republican as much as anyone. I’m a party guy through and through. Clearly I backed Jeb Bush, and we know how that worked itself out,” McCoy said.

“But I’ve sat and watched and listened and I don’t see any other candidate who can stop Hillary Clinton. Kasich ‘s claim isn’t realistic and I don’t see how Ted Cruz can beat Hillary in the general.”

Asked where this support came from, McCoy said:

“I came to this conclusion probably not long after Jeb left the race — but I wrestled with it, which isn’t in my nature. I usually don’t agonize over something like this. I usually make a decision and defend it and go on with my life. This was a little more difficult.”

McCoy said that coming to grips with everything Trump says was something he had to deal with.

“As much as Trump says things that we scratch our heads at, I have to respect him as a businessman, and as someone who has done something in this Presidential cycle that very few people thought he could do — being one of three left standing. That’s something to be applauded. I am not defending everything he has said — but you have to do what you have to to get through the primary.”

McCoy said, for one, he had to come to grapple with Trump’s statements on Planned Parenthood.

“Looking at Trump’s position (where Trump said he supports Planned Parenthood, but not their abortion services), I on the other hand fully support defunding Planned Parenthood in its entirety.

“But I have come to realize that as a Reagan conservative, something Reagan said is that if we can agree on things 80% of the time, we can get a heck of a lot accomplished.

“I agree with Trump’s views on immigration and trade, but I don’t have to agree with him 100% of the time. I probably agreed with George W. Bush more than anyone else. But I have come to the realization that one doesn’t have to agree 100% to realize that the stakes are so high in this Presidential cycle and the future of the nation and the Supreme Court, that it is so important that we need to get behind the strongest candidate.”

McCoy also discussed the argument that Trump’s negatives are too high to beat Hillary Clinton.

“Trump’s high unfavorability will be the least concern in this particular race. Who can believe that Hillary’s are as high as they are in a two-person race? But politics is a tough sport, and it’s one worth defending.

“Regardless of who is president, and in the environment we’re in, with the number of Americans who are disgruntled with Congress and the White House, an entrepreneur and businessman has the opportunity to speak a message that resonates with a good number of Americans. And Trump has the potential to bring in a number of people to the polls who have never voted before — the turnout in the GOP primaries has been record breaking.”

A number of conservatives, from Nebraska Senator Ben Sasse to the conservative publication National Review, say Trump will turn conservatism on its head. McCoy responded:

“I think it is a low chance that would happen. I have studied history, and the claims from those in the conservative movement and the Republican party are similar or the same to what was said in 1976 and 1980 about Ronald Reagan.

“We loathe change in the party and in conservatism. And Trump is as major of a change that any party has ever had. There is fear built in and that it’s something people don’t know. I wish Trump had been a Republican all of his life, but I don’t know if that it is as important as the here and now.”

While McCoy has been in touch with the Trump campaign, he has not been asked to be a state chairman, or otherwise be involved officially in the campaign…yet.

“I made contact through an intermediary to a highly placed operative, though I am not sure of the campaign structure. They don’t have much of an organization in Nebraska. Nothing like the Cruz campaign has. I am not otherwise in contact with them, and I haven’t said I want to be the state chair or anything — though I probably would if asked. This is a personal decision on my part, not based on working with their campaign.”

McCoy said he has been lobbied by colleagues to be involved with other campaigns.

“This is nothing personal against Ted Cruz or any other campaigns or individuals. (State Senator John) Murante has pleaded with me to get involved with Cruz, and (Senator Dave) Bloomfield — I just told them I wasn’t inclined to get involved.”

McCoy said he did not know what the plans were for the Trump campaign for the May 10th Nebraska primary.

“I am not in a position to know the campaign’s decision making process. I would imagine that they are going to concentrate on West Virginia (which also has their primary on May 10th).

“But in Nebraska, there weren’t any early high-profile supporters for Ted Cruz. So Nebraskans may still be open with their decisions.

“And there may be some under the radar swelling in the state. The immigration debate was always a big deal, and after the recent votes of the Legislature, that isn’t where a majority of Nebraskans are. There may still be some volatility in the Presidential race.”

McCoy had originally responded to Leavenworth St. on a survey of State Senators regarding their support in the Presidential race.

Later State Senator Tommy Garrett also expressed his endorsement of Donald Trump:

“The people have spoken. Only one person has a mathematical path to the nomination. We can’t afford Hillary. Our next President needs to be someone who supports a strong military, legal access to medical cannabis, a strong 2nd Amendment and income tax relief. A businessman who will fix the VA, honor our commitment to our Veterans, invest in America’s infrastructure and fight against burdensome overregulation. Donald Trump fits that bill, he’s going to get stuff fixed.

“Kasich and Cruz both could be wonderful Presidents in the future. We need to rally as a party to elect Trump and get a Conservative in the White House.”

Leavenworth St. will have an update from the September 2015 survey of State Senators on their Presidential preference in coming days.

1. Bad move. Trump’s unfavorables make it near impossible for him to beat Hillary, and I know a lot of Republicans who will either vote libertarian or even vote for the she-devil rather than Trump. Trump’s nomination will cripple the GOP (though I’m inclined to add “not that there’s anything wrong with that.”)

Personally, I just volunteered for Austin Petersen, who I think is the most attractive Libertarian presidential hopeful in my lifetime.

• Anonymous says:

I agree. I would vote for the Libertarian or Hillary (because she’s a woman) rather than take my chances with Trump. He’s all over the place on domestic policy and his foreign policy speech didn’t inform much. What I won’t do, is stay home. I’ll vote, for sure!

• Tony Oberley says:

Trump has actually brought in droves of Democrats and Independents to vote for him, as evidenced by his strength in open primaries. Don’t believe the media liberals and their polls showing Trump losing to Hillary, and stop repeating Democrat talking points.. He always outperforms polls as shown again last Tuesday.

• The Grundle King says:

Still 4x higher than that frickin’ weasel Hadley’s ranking.

Seriously…how do the chamber’s conservatives manage to pick such an un-conservative speaker?

The Republican Party has a lot of explaining to do once this election is over. Once the dust clears can we find out how two of the most odious candidates possible were put forward for the top job? As if this was something desirable?

It is as if, in response to Barak Obama, who some regard as the worst president in the last 100 years, the Republican Party said “You think that’s bad? The Presidency and the Electorate suck so much we can put forward even worse people.” It is a perverse “negative patriotism” that demonstrates hatred of the United States and all it stands for, like wrapping ourselves in the flag – and burning ourselves in it out of spite.

• Sparkles says:

“some regard as the worst president in the last 100 years,”

It would be enlightening to know who those ‘some’, are.
      For it is they who have most abused and tarnished the once worthy and principled Republican brand.

• Are you old enough to remember Jimmy Carter? The gas lines, the inflation, the MEOW, ‘America held hostage’, and the killer rabbit? He was truly wonderful — an incompetent, bumbling hick. Mocking Carter was like shooting fish in a barrel.

(Then once he retired he went all sanctimoniousand preachy, like every other SJW. With a dash of anti-semitism, which seems to run in his family. Boooo-ring.)

• anon says:

What would the republican party have to explain, that they are Paul Ryan, John McCain, Mitt, and so on. What explaining is done at the state level with with Krist, Campbell,and such.

3. Sparkles says:

The Republicans can indeed take back the White House in 2016, but thanks to folks like Beau McCoy, they’re determined to decline the opportunity.

Sen McCoy makes the peculiar claim shared by many on the right:
    “I don’t see any other candidate who can stop Hillary Clinton. Kasich ‘s claim isn’t realistic..”

Really?
    Let’s examine the facts. The current Real Clear Politics average of all polls shows –
    Trump losing to Hillary by 8.5 points, 40.5% to 49%
    Cruz losing to Hillary by 3 points, 43% to 46%
    Kasich beating Hillary by 8 points, 48.2% to 40.2%

For more than a year, month in and month out, the polls have consistently shown Kasich beating Hillary, and beating her by a significant margin. Conversely, the polls show that Hillary consistently beats both Trump and Cruz.
    But you’ll never hear this from Beau McCoy, or Rush Limbaugh, or Sean Hannity or Glenn Beck.
    Instead, Republican pundits and right media have made a concerted effort to ignore and belittle John Kasich.
    Ted Cruz has finished behind not only Donald Trump, but John Kasich, in 5 of the last 6 primaries.

Republicans can retake the White House, yet they’re making a deliberate and determined effort to avoid the one path out of three, that leads to victory.
    Thankfully, for democrats, the Kasich candidacy doesn’t inspire enough rage and indignation on the right to grab the eyeballs necessary to sell cheap pillows and reverse mortgages.
    The right wing entertainment complex narrative won’t allow the rise of a mundane Kasich. He doesn’t ‘sell’ on Fox News and hate radio. He’s a non-inflammatory, slightly disheveled policy wonk. (although his policies are indeed far to the right).

So Thank You, Sen McCoy.
    Thank you for your service to HRC and the democratic party.

We know all about Trump’s unfavorables but Cruz is just too easy for Hillary to dispatch. Hillary and the media will make short work of him. At this point I’m inclined to agree with McCoy, Trump is our best bet to beat Hillary. If you want to stay home and hold your nose, fine. We will just end up the same way we have been for the last 8 years. Completely stupid.

McCoy should be careful what he wishes for. Trump’s “potential to bring in a number of people to the polls who have never voted before” in primary contests may not be a reliable prediction of what those new voters will do in the general election. Optimism that Trump will ‘become more presidential’ by November is an unlikely disposition and then what will McCoy have? Much less than his 80% target of agreement.

But then, experienced voters (I have never failed to vote in a primary or general election!) are not fooled by what Trump says he’ll do. We’ve heard it all before… Unless Trump signs personal checks to reelection candidacies, I don’t know what might compel Congressional opponents such as Sasse to enact Trump’s dreams. If y’all haven’t been to the Texas-Mexico border you shouldn’t take Trump’s notion of building a wall seriously. Although you can walk across the Rio Grande in many places, you’ll be walking through mountains. And my very own Civil Engineer doubts a wall’s efficacy, while visitors to the area would deplore the aesthetic destruction. Come on down and have a look for yourselves. (And don’t miss the nearby McDonald Observatory!)

6. Sparkles says:

The continual harkening back to Reagan is always fascinating.

Sen McCoy posits;
    “(some) say Trump will turn conservatism on its head.. ..I think it is a low chance that would happen. I have studied history, and the claims from those in the conservative movement and the Republican party are similar or the same to what was said in 1976 and 1980 about Ronald Reagan.”

Let’s compare Sen McCoy’s recollection of history with that of someone who actually lived it.
    A few days ago a former official in both the Reagan and H.W. administrations, Bruce Bartlett, also publicly declared his support of Trump. But – Mr. Bartlett’s reasoning is quite different from that of Sen McCoy. The title of the article succinctly sums up his reasoning –
    “Complete and total destruction of the Republican Party”: Former Reagan official Bruce Bartlett on why he backs Trump

Bartlett sees Trump as both a product of the Republican Party’s decline and the possible catalyst for its eventual reclamation.

Speaking of Reagan, just yesterday, John Boehner stated in a speech at Stanford Univ:
    “I love all these knuckleheads talking about the party of Reagan,” Boehner continued. “He (Reagan) would be the most moderate Republican elected today.”

Boehner also shared his thoughts on Ted Cruz:
    “I have never worked with a more miserable son of a bitch in my life.”

“Ted Cruz is ‘Lucifer in the flesh.'” That’s sure to provoke some chuckles at John Boehner’s confirmation hearings, after President Hillary Clinton asks the Senate to confirm Boehner’s appointment as ambassador to some place or other. Boehner also says “…I have never worked with a more miserable son of a bitch in my life.”

Cruz’s tween-aged daughter calls him “creepy,” but all kids of that age think and/or say that same thing.

The best I can say about Trump in this context is that Trump has never claimed to be a decent fellow. There’s more than a touch of Swaggert & Bakker about Cruz, but Ted’s even a little weirder than that. I can’t quite put my finger on it, and no, I don’t want to put my finger wherever “it” is either.

Ted Cruz. An animated, crispy turd in the political burn pit.

8. Not Impressed says:

So the guiding ideological principle that would make someone support Jeb Bush and then Donald Trump is what exactly?

Oh, wait, I know. They were both front runners at the time McCoy endorsed them.

Lame. Crap like this is exactly why people hate politicians.

9. Bluejay says:

Who cares? Dope endorses WWE character.

Trump’s negatives with women are around 70%. Epic defeat. Hello President Hillary.

10. The Eye Ball says:

But of course McCoy endorses Trump. I knew he would.
    McCoy has about as much intellectual depth as the shingles he nails on to roofs.
    McCoy is a door mat conservative. He is only a conservative while standing at your door.
    He is as effective as using mud for window cleaning.
    Remember his role with Brad Ashford to abolish the income tax?
    Remember his calls for Senator Chamber’s to resign?
    Remember his run for governor?

As for Sen. Garret, Trump will be mathematically June 7.

It is not over by a long shot.

11. Todays news in leftist bigotry.

(1) Ken Livingstone, former Laboutr Party Mayor of London and BFF of Labour leader Jeremy Corbyn, said that Hitler was just a travel agent, and you’re not an antisemite if you hate only 99% of Jews.

(2) The New York Times CEO Mark Thompson was sued for sexist discrimination. Among the allegations is that he said the NYTimes’ salesforce should look more like their readership — rich, white and male.

SMFH.

12. The Grundle King says:

“…and I don’t see how Ted Cruz can beat Hillary in the general.”

How about the fact that, according to polls, Trump has the worst chance of all Republicans to beat Hillary? You don’t see those polls, Beau…or do you just ignore the polls you don’t like, as the Trumpkins do.

13. Sparkles says:

Of course Ken Livingstone was summarily thrown out of the Labour Party by Jeremy Corbin.

Tossed from the party, banished, ostracized.

Imagine if the GOP were to act as responsibly.
    No Trump.
    No Cruz.

14. Tony Oberley says:

When is Ben “I will never vote for Trump” Sasse going to endorse Trump? Unless he wants Hillary to win? The voters have spoken Ben, get on board.

• The Grundle King says:

The Nebraska voters have not yet spoken, so perhaps it would be wise to wait until they are able to do so. Or do you just want to ignore the Nebraska voters?

15. Pete Still Needs a Win says:

Why on earth would anybody care what Mr McCoy says or who he endorses?
    He is term limited and now will go do whatever Herbster tells him to do.
    McCoy has no record of accomplishment and is a light-weight. Nobody cares.
    ricky