Election Eve

After a weekend where Brad Ashford was touting Omaha Mayor Jean Stothert answering a question politely, Don Bacon put out a video, featuring Mayor Stothert’s endorsement of General Bacon. See it here:

This features the presser hosted by Mayor Stothert, Governor Kay Orr, Omaha City Councilwoman Aimee Melton and State Senators Joni Craighead and Nicole Fox, criticizing Ashford and the Nebraska Democrats for the false flyer they sent out about Bacon.

Click here to see all of Bacon’s ads this season.

More like Un-common sense, amirite?

The LJS jumped on the story featured here on Friday which pointed out that a mystery group called “Common Sense Nebraska” sent out false information about Nebraska Legislature candidate Bruce Bostelman.

The LJS notes that the group used misquoted information to attack Bostelman — which the Nebraska Family Alliance is now trying to correct through phone calls.

You would think correcting out-and-out false information would be easier, wouldn’t you.

But this same group, “Common Sense Nebraska” — no relation to the Common Sense Nebraska which opposed the Waters of the US rule — has also sunk their teeth into another Legislative candidate, retired Col. Tom Brewer, running against incumbent Al Davis.

Brewer filed a formal complaint to the NADC, noting that the group had not filed a statement of organization, nor had it listed a physical street address in the disclaimer.

Leavenworth St. was told that the advertisements are likely paid for by an established state political organization like the NSEA. The mailings for Common Sense Nebraska, Citizens for a Better Tomorrow (a group funded by the NSEA and Trial Attorneys) and the NSEA PAC all generated from the same mail house, Garner Printing, with the same bulk mail indicia.

That does not mean that they are definitely from that source, but you can use that info as you see fit.

In the mean time, Brewer put out this flyer, which is based on Legislative voting history, as opposed to a shadow group with no address:

brewer-davis_comparison

By the way, this is U.S. Senator Deb Fischer’s old district.

The party

On this Election eve afternoon, feel free to dive in to the comments if you want to give a pitch for your favorite candidate(s).

At this point, please try to keep it civil. Everyone will be appreciative.

And if you’re making plans for tomorrow night, the Nebraska Republican Party will be having their Election Night gig for local and Legislative candidates and Don Bacon for Congress, at the Marriott Regency (10220 Regency Circle) in Omaha. Festivities begin at 7pm and go to midnight (or so).

And keep up with ALL of your Election goings-on by Following @LeavenworthSt on the Twitter and Liking Leavenworth St. on The Facebook!

Because that’s how YOU will stay up with the talk of Nebraska politics!

Any attention to any political advert or statement is a sign of naïveté. The political class can only be judged by their actual behavior, period. And no claims about behavior, either. Sorry, old school journalism – gum-shoe reporting – is the only way to go. Ignore all else.

2. Sparkles says:

October 28, 2016 – Reuters
    “FBI reopens Clinton investigation as new emails found ‒ Comey”

October 28, 2016 – MarketWatch
    “Stock market closes lower on FBI probe into Clinton emails”

Through last Friday, as Trumpsters were hailing the new FBI investigation, Wall Street closed lower for nine days in a row, its longest losing streak in more than 35 years.

Sunday, Nov 6, NY Daily News –
    Comey clears Hillary Clinton once again after second FBI email investigation

Just released, Reuters –
    “Wall Street soars as investors see higher chance of Clinton win”
    U.S. stocks on Monday were set for their biggest one-day percentage gain since March 1..

• I was just musing on how remarkable it is that the market wants the Democrat presidential candidate to win. I wish I’d bought like a maniac last Thursday.

I think the Clinton fanciers are a little overconfident, though. Turnout and people sandbagging pollsters might make it pretty darn close. I might just make a small investment in an inverse x 10 ETF, on the low but non-zero chance of a Trump win, followed by a market crash.

• Expanding on this a bit; economists seem to think the chance of a Trump win really isn’t priced in at the moment. So if Hillary wins, the upside potential would be very limited, whereas if Trump wins, there could conceivably be a 10% drop.

• Sparkles says:

I hope you’re underestimating the American people.
        Easy to do, considering the folks these people choose for their champions – Trump, Gingrich, Carson, Cruz, Palin, Gulliani, Huckabee, Christie, Cain, Bachmann, Santorum etc..

I predict something not seen in the polls – Trump is going to scare a lot of folks out of their lethargy.
        Women and minorities are going to turn out in record numbers.
        I also think @15% of Republicans are going to follow the lead of George HW, Colin Powell, Hank Paulson, Michael Chertoff, Brent Scowcroft and others in pulling the lever for Hillary.
        You’re own Libertarian V.P. candidate has asked people to vote for HRC.

There simply aren’t enough angry, malinformed white people to carry the Talking Tufted Yam across the line.

• Sparkles says:

Most economists predict a Trump presidency and the commensurate GOP Senate and House such a turnout would portend, would virtually guarantee a crippling recession.

Soup for everyone!
        With the ensuing massive increase in the distribution of government cheese to newly impoverished families, Trump would indeed fulfill his promise to Make American Grate, Again.

• Well, I hope I’m underestimating them too. My short position will probably not even cover the decline in other stocks. It’s more of a hedge.

It’s been paradoxical that at least half of the conservative intelligentsia have deserted Trump, but that GOP voters in general haven’t followed. This is what worries me. The Trumpkins are very energized, and if they can figure out how to get to the polling station and vote, there could be trouble, since I think Hillary’s going to have turnout problems, despite her vaunted ground-game.

3. NE Voter says:

Predictions

National
    Clinton 343 Electoral Votes/55% National Popular Vote
    Trump 195 Electoral Votes/42% National Popular Vote
    NE-02 Yields 1 EV for Clinton
    Democrats retake Senate Majority
    Republicans lose 10-15 House seats, including at least two seats considered safely Republican

Nebraska
    Ashford 54%
    Bacon 46%
    NE-02 Yields 1 EV for Clinton

Wednesday 11/08: Fischer, Sasse, Fortenberry and Smith emerge from their hiding places and pledge to oppose President-Elect Clinton’s agenda.

January 4, 2017: Nebraska legislature convenes to open session. Republican lawmakers pledge to return Nebraska’s electoral vote system to “winner-take-all.”

• Not fair to say Sasse’s been hiding. Anything but, in fact.

BTW, 55:42 in the popular vote would get Hillary far more EVs than 343, I think.

I think it will be closer than people expect. Maybe a reprise of 2000, in fact.

4. Sparkles says:

And from today’s headlines at World Nut Daily –

“JUST IN CASE, IMPEACH HILLARY PLANS READY”

Who’s that “prominent Republican” you ask –
    None other than the Moron of the Muddy Mo, an intellect rivalled only by garden tools, Iowa’s Steve King.

When do the thoughtful people who I know still comprise much of the Republican party, those who give a $hit about governance and the future we’re leaving behind for our children, step forward and denounce this lunacy?

• Well, two reasons they don’t denounce him. First, virtue-signalling isn’t as big a thing on the right as it is on the left. Second, there’s really nothing to be gained by pissing him and his supporters off.

• Sparkles says:

Respectfully, f^*k the characterization of “virtue-signalling”.
        I assumed it was only the alt-right who were prone to trot that one out.

The GOP’s obstruction-all-the-time-at-any-cost has got to stop.
        Anybody that doesn’t recognize that this malfeasance is crippling our nation, is part of the problem.

And heaven forbid we’d piss off Steve King. What a tragedy that would be.

• No, there is a pretty universal perception on the right that the left obsessively virtue-signals; any opinion contrary to SJW-mandated orthodoxy needs to be condemned. I don’t think most of the alt-right even know what virtue-signalling is.

Just check out the comments section of PZ Myers’ blog; it’s mostly people competing intensely to be more PC.

We don’t disapprove. Mostly it just amuses us to watch people who should be allies cut each other up. And we don’t have much else to amuse us, right now.

• Sparkles says:

Love PZ Meyers.

Were U.S. government offices limited to people attracted the musings of PZ Meyers, America would indeed be a shining city on a hill. And a quite magnificent one at that.

• Get Real says:

If God, Guns and Abortion isn’t virtue-signaling, I can’t imagine what other issue might be; you, on the other hand “virtue-signal” each time you post on here about your misguided conservatism.

• The Grundle King says:

Interesting choice of “guns” as virtue signalling. I was unaware support for the Constitution and Bill of Rights, as written and intended by the founding fathers, fell into that category.

• Sparkles says:

Grundle is right. Guns really aren’t virtue signalling.
        I own more than a dozen and there’s nothing virtuous about a single one of them.

But, thanks to a craven grifters of the NRA and the gun MFRs purchase of a posse of pandering politicians, (like Agenda21 Bill Kintner) guns have become for many gonad signalling.
        Signalling of conspiracy kooks, separatists and militia leaners whose right wing media cultivated insecurities and fears compel them amass caches of weapons and ammo. Weapons they then demand the right to wave around while in the buffet line at Golden Corral, just in case some ‘undesirables’ think they’re an easy target for a muggin’.
        Or in case a band of ISIS Terrorists jumps their whole family in the parking lot of Catfish Lakes in Bellevue.

It didn’t used to be that way.
        Back in the day when Otis 12 was on the radio in Omaha, I was a proud member of a sportsman’s club called the National Rifle Association. A club that was about family tradition and values, gun safety, a love and respect for the outdoors and for the wild game you harvested.

Ideas long ago abandoned when the NRA realized that pandering to and grifting from Crazy Uncle Liberty was a much more lucrative business model.

• The Grundle King says:

To paraphrase Sparkles, “But muh feelz!!!!”

In my opinion, the NRA’s move to the right was a response to leftward movement of folks like the Brady Campaign and the Clintons. The 1994 ‘assault weapon ban’, which did nothing to reduce gun crime, was a ‘shot across the bow’ (as it were). It showed the gun owning public that there was a growing group of people who absolutely hated the existence of gun rights, and that this group was no longer a small bunch of far-flung moonbats…but that they had serious political clout. These folks, in truth, want guns outlawed…but until that day comes, they’ll content themselves with making gun ownership as onerous as possible.

Regardless of what you think about the NRA, many gun owners are influenced as much by their propaganda as they are by propaganda from the anti-gun left. We don’t just gobble up what the NRA feeds us…we see what’s happening across the aisle. We see the constantly renewed calls for an ‘assault weapons ban’ (which still won’t reduce violent crime), and we see more and more people calling for Australian-style gun reforms (read: partially-compensated government theft). And to be quite frank, we’re sick and goddamn tired of being told we don’t care about the lives of children because we don’t believe sporadic and rare criminal acts are sufficient justification for sweeping laws.

So who is left to care about, and advocate for, the interests of gun owners who understand the math and who understand what the founding fathers intended? Who else will lobby for gun owners? You may not like what the NRA represents, and you don’t have to…but you absolutely must admit that they are the largest, most vocal, and most effective group standing in the way of those who would erase the 2nd Amendment, if given the chance.

Now, I don’t necessarily agree with those who decide to march around openly carrying their firearm…which is the only legal way to carry in Nebraska without a CHP…but it is their right. If the sight of a firearm scares people, I’d say there’s something wrong with THEM. Do they think a person who openly carries a firearm means them harm? Why do they think that? Do they prefer a state of blissful ignorance, where they can pretend that criminals don’t already conceal weapons illegally?

• Macdaddy says:

The Clinton Foundation/CGI is a de facto entry into the back pocket of the biggest power couple in DC since the 90s. Governments have had carte blanche to bribe the Clintons to the tune of $2billion since they left the White House. Slick Willie said they’ll quit taking donations if Two-Slice Hilly gets elected. What’s the over/under on that happening? And do they have until noon on January 20th to get the payments in? In other words, the wholesale buying of an elected President by foreign governments is about to occur. I highly doubt they can help themselves and will turn off the spigot once she’s sworn in. Enforcing the law isn’t obstruction and this would qualify as high crimes and misdemeanors. Glad to see Steve King cares about the Constitution.

• Anonymous says:

Bush – Cheney – Clinton – birds of a feather, aren’t they? And we keep electing them. Shame on us.

• Political Novice says:

“If Hillary Clinton wins the election Tuesday, a prominent Republican member of the House Judiciary Committee says there will be an immediate move to impeach her before she can even be sworn into office Jan. 20.”

It’s this kind of thinking that leaves a bad taste in my mouth. I won’t vote for Trump and I don’t think he can possibly carry out the promises he makes but I at least will give him a chance and wish him the best. When Obama submitted his Supreme Court nominee (who I would consider a moderate) the Republicans would not even CONSIDER it. Now with the possibility of Hillary winning will they change their minds? Apparently one won’t:

“I am going to do everything I can do to make sure four years from now, we still got an opening on the Supreme Court,” said Sen. Richard Burr, R-N.C., according to a recording obtained by CNN.

Now if Trump wins would the Democrats do everything to block his SC nomination? Probably but it’s this kind of gridlock I despise . Sometimes it may not go the way you want but you have to accept it just so things can move forward. It seems like there is no compromise, no give & take, everything either black or white with some. The scary thing to me is that I think it’s going to get worse.

• The Grundle King says:

The 2 major parties MADE it worse by putting two absolute buffoons up for election. After the things that have been said by the candidates about portions of the electorate, whether accurate or not, I think it’s wholly unreasonable to expect the American people to just forget those things were said, and sing kumbaya whilst holding hands.

• Anonymous says:

Who? Who’s Trump? The whole world is about to enjoy a well-deserved rest from that guy. May he join the Kardashians, Brangelina and Caitlyn. They deserve each other.

• Sparkles says:

Everyone knows.
      It leaps from the page.
      A dog whistle that cracks and sizzles like a lighting bolt piercing the still of a dark night.

A foul undercurrent that still resonates among the NEGOP.

• Macdaddy says:

Terry Carpenter ever sue God in a court of law? Terry Carpenter ever say he’d shoot a policeman? Terry Carpenter ever mock a woman with cancer over her husband’s failures? Ernie Chambers is without peer when it comes to being a douche and if you are ever voting the same way as him, you should take careful stock of what you are doing.

5. out west says:

Sweeper,

Deb Fischer may have been the representative from LD 43 in the Legislature , but that was a far different district than the one Al Davis is representing. The majority of voters in the present LD 43 came out of Leroy Louden’s LD 49.

Four years ago the parts of the district represented by Fischer voted for John Ravenscroft. Those in areas who had been represented by Louden went for Davis. I expect something similar to happen this year. Brewer will carry the votes from the old LD 43 and Davis will carry the votes from the old LD 49 and Davis will win a narrow victory.

6. Political Novice says:

Yes I consider myself a political novice in that I don’t live and breathe politics however I do try to make a serious attempt at being informed. I’m not the sharpest tool in the shed but I do my best at trying to come to a logical opinion. I’m disappointed in talking with others today that although they are voting and clearly know who they want for president, they have absolutely no idea who it is or anything about the people running for local boards and offices. It appears to me like it’s just guesswork on their part or whoever’s name sounds the best to them. I tell them to at least check out the League of Women Voters site but I don’t think they will take the time to bother. Maybe these will be in the minority but I hope they at least leave the box unmarked if they have no idea who to mark. Along the same lines I know many vote NO to retain on ALL the judges without even knowing why. I tell them that Nebraska State Bar Association has evaluations done by lawyers but I doubt they will check into it.

I’m taking time tonight to make some last minute evaluations on local races. I can only hope I give each candidate a fair shot . I will only have one chance to get it right (at least for this election) and I’m taking it seriously.

• Macdaddy says:

Well, Political Novice, if you haven’t figured out that politicians will stand on your front porch and lie to your face, then just look at our current Unicam. People can be forgiven for thinking it’s all guesswork.

• Anonymous says:

Lying politicians is an axiom. I don’t know what to do about that. I feel about all politics the way some Republicans feel about impeaching Clinton before she is inaugurated. All politics, all parties, all politicians, all operatives. Complete failures as human beings, utterly depraved, rather like a Calvinist, only meaner and more hopelessly disappointed. Let’s go back to the ancient Greeks system of drawing lots; failure to serve was met with the death penalty. It’s not clear how many opted for the latter.

7. Ricky says:

Do those Republican women “Leaders” REALLY think the islamic terrorists are coming to get us?
    Are they really that stupid or do they think the people are stupid?
    When Ashford wins I hope these “leaders” resign or get voted out.
    ricky

• The Grundle King says:

There’s a bunch of folks in Orlando who never thought Islamic terror could reach them, either.

BTW, was it Hindu or Christian terrorists that attacked the U.S. on 9/11/2001? Or are you really so stupid as to think it can’t happen here?