5:30am Totals for #NE02

Don Bacon 103,938 30,353 134,291
Brad Ashford 110,557 18,182 128,739
Trump 102,151 29,187 131,338
Clinton 105,207 17,046 122,253

Morning playbook

Politico notes on Nebraskans in potential Trump admin:

POWER PLAYERS YOU NEED TO KNOW — Inside Trump world: Kellyanne Conway, Hope Hicks, Jason Miller, Stephen Bannon, Jared Kushner, Chris Christie, Sen. Jeff Sessions, Corey Lewandowski, Roger Stone, Paul Manafort, Rudy Giuliani, Boris Epshteyn, Brad Parscale, Dan Scavino, David Bossie, Michael Glassner, Scott Mason, Steven Cheung, Michael Abboud

Abboud is the son of former State Senator Chris Abboud.

And then on Ag Secretary

Sid Miller; Kansas Gov. Sam Brownback; Nebraska Gov. Dave Heineman; former Georgia Gov. Sonny Perdue; former Texas Gov. Rick Perry as well as Charles Herbster, Republican donor and agribusiness leader; and Mike McCloskey

• Actually, the GOP senate majority requires Graham, Sasse and Flake, who have all rejected Trump. Ben may be in a more powerful position than you think; I expect he will be the deciding vote at least sometimes.

Of course, Nebraska senators have not historically filled that role very well.

1. The Grundle King says:

I am shocked, and I was wrong. I can’t say I’m happy that Trump won, but I AM glad that Hillary did not. Who would have thought that an ‘October surprise’ would cost Hillary the election?

No…not the e-mail thing…Obamacare rate hikes.

I am also glad that the Republicans maintained the House and the Senate.

2. The Eye Ball says:

I am not shocked at all. Those Wikileaks and the FBI handling of the emails rattled people. It was the weight that broke the camel’s back.

The big problem is what happens to the Douglas County Republican Party. It is badly fractured and numerous races were lost.

Oh, you get the death penalty law back but it was wasted cause. It would have been better to put that money and effort in to candidates. If you think there will be executions in 2017, don’t count on it.

If you were hoping for a tax cut next year, that is now more dicey than ever.

• Macdaddy says:

What I expect, Eye Ball, is that there will be more horrific murders this year. It’s nice to know that murderers might be made to pay someday instead of never.

• Macdaddy says:

I realize that and that’s awesome. The death penalty is not just about deterrence. It’s more about justice and what your life is worth. The death penalty says that you, Eye Ball, have value, and if some foul deed were to end your life prematurely that you matter and aren’t just some statistic.

• The Eye Ball says:

The death penalty is nothing more than an philosophical debate and an argument among judges and lawyers. An attempt to make it more than that is absurd. Hundreds of the thousands of dollars were thrown in to restore the law for the death penalty, yet there still will be no executions. This referendum was nothing more than a Pyrrhic victory.

Actually, you should have told the Marxist currently in the White House to govern more wisely but you couldn’t tell him anything because you were a racist if you did. I’m sure you libs are in shock and i’m equally sure that you still don’t get it but here’s the thing: when you govern like a dictator in all aspects of life and you try to force your beliefs on others, don’t be surprised if they push back. In this instance, a caricature of your worst traits won: an arrogant bully unconnected to reality. That’s what it took to beat back the arrogant bully currently in the White House and beat off the other arrogant bully who sought to succeed him. There’s a saying in an ancient book that you refuse to allow in our society: Do unto others as you would have them do unto you. You might want to ponder that. Of course, like I said, I doubt you’ll get it.

4. bynd says:

Kudos to Sparkles. Very nice post. However, I’ve seen a lot of vitriol that shows many of the losers still don’t have a clue. A lot of folks who have sat on the sidelines for even decades have now had their say.#neverdems/repubs. Substantial change had to take place. And sometimes, you need to burn it down before you can build it new. However, we are far from burning it down.

The only thing that matters about Trump now is who he surrounds himself with. He can’t bail himself out with bankruptcy this time.

5. Patrick McPherson says:

Apparently, Nebraska,s Bennie Sasse has come out of his cave long enough to send a half-hearted congraulation to Trump along with his “suggestions” about what Trump must now do. Obviously junior senator Bennie had better start reassessing his future as his delusion of becoming president in 2020 or ever is now over. Maybe he’d better spend some time updating his resume for another university presidency. Good Republicans will be coming out to challenge him in 2020 when he begs fellow Nebraskans to let him keep his job. Bye bye Bennie.
    PS : It was great to have a solid Senior U.S.Senator Deb Fisher at Don Bacon’s victory party last night. Guess Bennie couldn’t find his way out of his cave in faraway Fremont to come show his support for Don, or more likely face fellow Nebraska Republicans because of his treason.

• The Grundle King says:

Oh get over yourself. In case you hadn’t noticed, while a whole bunch of people held their nose and voted for the major party candidate that they least detested…a few million folks remained true to their values and voted their principles. Principled leaders are not something we should discard. You may not like Sasse’s opposition to Trump, but he has been a solid conservative voice, and will likely remain so. If he goes off-kilter and starts bucking the entire party’s initiatives…then yeah, I could see a reason to get him out of there. But in the mean time, maybe the party would be better served by keeping the ‘big tent’ open.

• The view from Ian Swanson's mom's basement says:

You and Hal Daub deserve each other McPherson; do you sit around and tell racist jokes to one another while praising Trump?
      ricky

• bynd says:

ricky, you have finally shown up. Coming to collect all your thank yous? From Trump, Bacon, the Death penalty support group, half of Ricketts sycophants (sarcasm there). Yes you have done well in this state with those you supported.

And now four more years of your lunacy. But where are the clowns, send in the clowns, don’t bother he’s here.

Suck it up buttercup. You have no clue. And the inner hate will chew you up like a cancer.

• The view from Ian Swanson's mom's basement says:

Agree. McPherson is a bottom feeder of the Nebraska GOP and that is saying something.
        How could the guy “forget” he wrote his racist blog posts?
        And Hal and the rest of them forgive and forget. It’s disgusting.
        ricky

6. Political Novice says:

I was surprised at the results of last night’s election but then I don’t call myself Political Novice for nothing. I was tempted to write in SMOD2016 and Cthulhu but instead bravely (or stupidly depending on your point of view) marked it for Hillary.

Not a Trump fan but it’s only fair to allow him and his administration some time to work his “magic”. I’m perplexed how he could possibly keep all his promises but I suppose that’s the nature of the beast in the political arena. It will be interesting to see how he deals with the health care as he has said all along he would get rid of Obamacare and starting over will be complicated to say the least.

Now that the Republicans are in solid control what are the conservative talk show hosts going to complain about now – LOL.

• Political Novice says:

True – but hopefully not in my lifetime.

As for your second sentence – I have to wonder about that myself since I was on the losing side on almost every front but I’m hopeful I just bad made choices. Time will tell if I just wasn’t perceptive enough to grasp what others had seen. I wish the winners well.

• bynd says:

Novice,
      History will show you that being in charge of all three only means more internal back biting and fighting with little getting done. Obamacare was an anomaly.

7. Bluejay says:

When does Jane Kleeb resign? Hillary did not even get 35%. I thought she would lose by only 20%.

The Green agenda has been totally repudiated. Bring on KXL.

8. The Grundle King says:

Oh, and just as I predicted to Ricky, about half (8 out of 14) of Ricketts’ preferred Unicameral candidates won. This year in the Nebraska legislature could get real, real fun.

I would love to see state-wide preemption of local firearm ordinances get another shot (no pun intended). I’d also like to see the public committee chair votes measure brought back.

• Macdaddy says:

Hear Hear on that last one. I have zero faith in our Unicam to do the right thing. Even a 60/40 b****-slapping won’t leave an impression on these idiots.

• The Grundle King says:

I will be writing my representative and asking him for a straightforward answer (which I know I won’t get, but what the hey) as to why our legislature is better off operating in a cloud of secrecy, than in the daylight of transparency.

Committees are the first stop on a bill’s journey of life an death. We deserve to know who our representatives vote for to put in charge of deciding the fates of bills.

How will Trumpublicans and Republicans work together in the next Congress and Administration? Will Trumpublicans align with Democrats (probably on a case-by-case basis) against the intransigent House Freedom Caucus? Trump has no love for Paul Ryan. I can’t imagine Trump has any love for Jim Jordan, et al, either, if they get in the way.

10. anon says:

You let the mass media control you and see what happens, the next out of left field will be a dem, maybe like a Kayne, or Katy, which you’re saying to yourself he would “probably do better”

The Right should not be under any delusions that conservatism is making a comeback. It isn’t. Last night’s election was between two liberals. Last night’s election was some chin music to the forces of political correctness and corruption which are 2 sides of the same coin. If Trump starts rooting the corruption out of government, he’ll be invited back for a second term, regardless of what policies he gets enacted. If not, then he won’t.

MSM, you may now go back to your proper role as government watchdog. Of course, it might be too late for you. I hear Uber is hiring.

• The Eye Ball says:

The Trumpkins are going to have to realize that Hillary still won the popular vote which means Trump has no mandate over the House and Senate. The honeymoon won’t last long unless Trump gets serious about governing.

• Macdaddy says:

Nice try. Did the Democrats realize they had the exact opposite orders from the American public in late 2009 when they passed Obamacare right before they lost their filibuster-proof majority? You know, when Massachusetts elected Scott Brown for the express purpose of stopping Obamacare? Talk about not having a mandate. You guys made your bed. Try not to get too mad when you get strapped to it. BTW, I thought you guys were into that, anyway.

• bynd says:

A mandate is not a fact but a self delusion. Every one has such a delusion now days. Didn’t Barack still have his after the Repubs took over the Senate and grew in the house several years ago?

• bynd says:

Anon, don’t be so hard your self. But hey, I’ll still take constructive criticism, when was I wrong?

• We’ve traded orcs for a hyperorc. Did you hear his speech last night? He wants a massive debt-fueled stimulus program. I doubt he’ll get it. There aren’t many fiscally conservative GOPers with a backbone, but there are enough to block this shite, and I doubt the Dems will be playing ball.

• Macdaddy says:

Absolutely not. Nothing is forever except the ability of human beings to get taken in by an idea no matter how many times it has been discredited. One election does not a trend make.

• repenting lawyer says:

Ed Stevens, love Adams, the one neo-Marxist I know of, the Slovenian clown indorsed Trump, maybe he is related to Mrs. Trump. Did once lecture on alienation but my emphasis was on Hegel.Always thought Adams read too much French existentialism, but that could be my problem.

12. The Grundle King says:

BTW, speaking of Ricky…can someone in the Omaha area stop by a do a wellness check on him? He’s not shown up here yet, nor or the LJS. Sure hope he’s okay.

13. The view from Ian Swanson's mom's basement says:

At least THAT did not happen.
    Maybe Brad should have acted like a Democrat and not like a Republican and he would have won.
    Opposing Mr Obama on Gitmo and the Iran deal and generally not being liberal did him in.
    And Jeremy Nordquist bailing on his constituents early did not work out. That gave us Nicole Fox and Nordquist and Mello’s buddy Sinowicky got clobbered in South Omaha.
    However I think this does not mean Mello won’t get to be Mayor of Omaha.
    Sarpy County does not vote for Omaha’s mayor.
    ricky

• bynd says:

ricky starts his campaign to get Stothert reelected. Check the numbers ricky, Stothert has a 60% approval ratings. Throw out the third parties and write ins and the Repubs will rule the day in Douglas county and Omaha.

Your doing very well for the Repubs. Keep up the good work. Your the best thing the Repubs have going for them. And you have proven it again:)

It pained me to see Kolowski win…. but not sad about the Swanson loss. 20-somethings think they know everything but this one actually thought that his long list of accomplishments and experience (zero of both) made him fit to legislate. He is perhaps fit to be Kolowski’s AA or maybe even LA, but he is not qualified for the man’s seat.

• bynd says:

Was he qualified to determine what kind of world we will leave for him and his ilk? Sooner or later, the youngsters will take over. And they already out number the boomers.

Maybe we should start sucking up before they take it all away?

Bynd,

Before you type one more comment on this page, please review homophones. I don’t care if you’re making fun of idiot Ricky, your use of “your” where you should have used “you’re” is embarrassing.

• The view from Ian Swanson's mom's basement says:

That’s not nice. And where does this “60 per cent” approval for Stothert come from?
      Somebody pulled that out of their ass.
      Just look at her record her approval should be about 35 per cent with people like McPherson and Daub approving of the job shes done.
      ricky

Day two of the victory of one godless, liberal, egotistic, blowhard, liar over another. Are we winning yet? No, seriously, someone earlier pointed out that conservatism has not returned to the White House in any wise. Are the Supreme Court and Congress prepared for this?

17. Have a nice day says:

I know a nice lady who recently hoped all Trump supporters would die. I have an even sweeter relative who suddenly writes her sincere hope that all older people die, including her family and parents, so that she can get her liberal ideas applied to all Americans, even those she disagrees with.

That’s what a lack of Civics and no spankings gets us. Educated Americans who want to kill people who disagree with them.

These are the same Clinton and Sanders voters who threw rocks at rally attendees, they are Hillary’s DNC that pissed on Sanders without even the courtesy of calling it “rain”. These are women who didn’t mind Hillary holding down girls while Bill rapes them.

Some of the sweetest people I know call for my death because Trump said a nation without borders has no sovereignty… or because they don’t like him being rude. They prefer smiling thieves to rude honesty. A smiling Obama called his political opponents “enemy” and that was okay.

Trump has exposed and excised the rotten underbelly of his own GOP. And the elephant screamed like hell. But now boiling up is a magnitude larger pain among Democrats who believe themselves so kind and loving on average that they give themselves a pass to call for the occasional murder of voters for voting.

It is exactly this sort of irrational emotion-above-reason hypocrisy, mostly on the Left, that forced Americans to elect Trump.

When that irony sinks into Democrat heads, they will be even more pissed off.

• No one forced you to vote for Trump. That was entirely your own folly.

I’m ROFLing at the Trump supporters who have suddenly gotten all prissy about criticism of the d-bag. As if ‘grab them by the pussy’ wasn’t a thing. Well, sorry, his critics were empowered by his vulgarity to use the same sort of language on him that he used on others.