Friday’s child

Busy day, so as you end your work day by just staring at your computer, consider this a Senator Carl Curtis open comment Friday!

Keep it clean. Keep it civil. And see if you can throw in a non-Trump comment here and there.

Red Precinct-BluePrecinct

And for one last (probably) view of the Omaha Mayor’s race, Matt Hoover, Director of Data Visualization at CanWorkSmart.com, put together these views of vote totals per precinct that you may not have seen.

Interesting, but vote totals combined with who voted from what party will be an even more interesting analysis…

Someone has to water the plants

…and you can bet that those involved in the 2nd Dist Congressional race will enjoy.

Oh, and by the by, we hear Brad Ashford is in Washington, D.C. chatting with the Powers That Be.

Does that mean he left Mrs. Ashford at home?

Dave’s not here

Not clear if this was some sort of follow-up on yesterday’s Tweet from Nebraska’s junior U.S. Senator:

“And quote Cheech & Chong. And…”

Did someone make a request for more weed-based humor from our elected representatives that I missed?

…but he DOES know how to make a Presidential announcement

And then I asked myself, “I wonder what Chuck Hagel thinks about President Trump! I bet it’s something deep!

“This is a man who needs to listen and learn!”

Whew!

Have a great weekend!

Watch @LeavenworthSt on the Twitter for ya never know when!
And Like Leavenworth St. on The Facebook because Facebook!

Chuck Hagel has two Purple Hearts – that’s two more than I or anyone else who writes here has. I’ll take Chuck with his two Purple Hearts over anyone who writes here on their best day.

Next topic please.

• Anonymous says:

No, I’m sure your record is as unremarkable as mine is. Unless you’re just being humble. But as Golda Meir said, “Don’t be humble, you’re not that great.”

• bynd says:

anonymous,

Only a child like you can get things so backward. Never said anything about me. I challenged your assertion. Evidently you can’t back it up because you have changed the topic. Challenged and embarrassed, you turn to ad hominen attacks. Must be the critical thinking method you learned at the public schools.

• Anonymous says:

I don’t have a Purple Heart. That’s one. You don’t have a Purple Heart – there’s two. Sweeper never served so no Purple Heart there. Grundle King, Right-Wing Professor? Nope. Bluejay? All he can say is ‘janekleeb’ and he never served – no Purple Heart. Let’s see that’s 6 people without Purple Hearts. Your go.

• Anonymous says:

You forgot, the vast majority are anonymous or anon. Poll them individually and make sure you find a way to separate them and know you have got them all. Publish your results with methodology so your peers on here can review and comment on it.

• Anonymous says:

Let’s just start with you supporting what you said. Can’t do it?

Yes we all know that.

Go play your game by your self, or just play with yourself, which I am sure you have plenty of practice at. Because I am sure you are not even near having sacrificed for anyone but your self.

But you can prove that last one wrong by proving different.

And no, I am nothing like you, moron. I can walk and breathe at the same time.

• Anonymous says:

So that’s a no, correct? Nothing distinctive about your service except its conclusion. Don’t feel bad. Nixon was a logistics guy in the Navy in WW2. The little information I found about his service in biographies was that everyone hated him. An unpopular horse-trader.

As for you bynd all I need to know is you hide behind a pen name. Buck, buck, buck? Keep it up Chicken Boy. Say ‘Hi’ to Grundle King! No hater here, I know your love is pure.

• The Grundle King says:

I’m still trying to figure out how I got dragged into all of this. Chuck Hagel’s military service is admirable and greatly appreciated.

• anon says:

Is that above or below a fireman, I give him his just due as a veteran and any other, like McCain it doesn’t mean crap to me in politics, the guy was canned by Obama

• Anonymous says:

Your words bring comfort to American warriors in captivity.

I can think of a million ways John McCain is wrong. I balance his political and personal errors against not being able to raise his arms over his shoulders. Because his NVA captors tore his arms out at the sockets. Me, hell, I’d shit my pants, cry like a baby and probably be a traitor. It sucks to be weak like me.

How ’bout you, soldier?

• Anonymous says:

Yes, Chuckles was also the senior, US Senator from Nebraska. Ran and was elected as a Republican, a former professor at Georgetown, a member of the President’s Intelligence Advisory Board. Clear signs of a liberal water carrier if you ask me. I mean a Nebraska Republican? Code for a fuckin’ Commie traitor FER SURE.

Did you simply stop reading once you left Prep or did you fake it your whole 5 years there?

• American Warrior says:

From Wikipedia –

Hagel volunteered to be drafted into the United States Army during the Vietnam War, rejecting a draft board recommendation that he go to college instead. He served in the United States Army infantry in Vietnam from 1967 to 1968. As a Sergeant (E-5), he served as an infantry squad leader in the 9th Infantry Division. Hagel served in the same infantry squad as his younger brother Tom, and they are thought to be the only American brothers to have done so during the Vietnam War. They also saved each other’s lives on separate occasions.

Hagel received the Vietnamese Cross of Gallantry, two Purple Hearts, the Army Commendation Medal, and the Combat Infantryman Badge.

2. I am getting quite sick of the blatantly anti-Sasse comments from L St and people like Mike Kennedy. Can we stop this nonsense? He’s the third most conservative Senator by voting record and has a book out that addresses one of the most critical issues facing our country right now. Unlike most politicians who simply address short-term crises, Senator Sasse has shown a constructive long-term vision for where we need to go.
    I am a fan of all of Nebraska’s delegation, even though a couple of them have TERRIBLE scorecard records on Heritage and Freedomworks. They each bring their own things to the table.
    How interesting that people criticize Sasse for not being sufficiently “team red”. Thank God. I want team conservative, not just team red.
    I get it. You’ve never liked Ben Sasse and inevitably never will. I get that you supported other candidates in the primaries. But some of us are able to move past that even though we’ve worked for other candidates too.
    It’s time to shut up, Sasse haters. This conservative is proud we finally have a true Cruz/Paul/Lee/Cotton conservative representing our state.
    Signed,
    Christian, Conservative, Republican (in that order)
    P.S. Check out the Federalist Papers. Ambition isn’t a bad thing; it’s human nature!

• Anonymous says:

Sasse is a pretty-boy whose political accomplishments are nil. We might as well have a brick in the US Senate. President? Ben doesn’t do anything now, why be President? I am certain more accomplished, do-nothing candidates are available for ’20. Joltin’ Joe Byden thinks he’s going to run. John Kasich is in a good position as he doesn’t have to wash the Trump off. I’d give Kasich a try. Just being generous.

• Well, I’ll say this, I always get a chuckle whenever someone gets their dress over their head if a comment about Ben Sasse isn’t followed with about how young and intelligent he is.

I’ve asked a simple question about the U.S. Senator’s choice of Twitter jokes over the last two days, and you follow up by citing the Federalist Papers?

I guess I missed all of Publius’s jovial cannabis references.

• Anonymous says:

That’s because hemp makes outstanding rope, as all the Founders knew. You want to be a maritime power in the 18th century? It’s 420, Revolutionary Brahs.

• Constitutional Conservative says:

What part of “third-most conservative voting record” do you guys fail to understand? He’s got the best voting record of anyone in the entire delegation; that’s way better than the alternatives.

• Anonymous says:

Sasse is a nose-picker booger flicker. He smiles a lot. His votes are just his ‘me too.’ What necessary legislation has he authored and sheperded through to a Presidential signature to the benefit of us all?

Wind blowin’, crickets chirpin’….

#NeverSasse

• The Eye Ball says:

There are several things going on. Sasse is doing the hard work and the rest are just acting. When Sasse gets a chance to poke fun of the situation, he does. You don’t really think he and Chuck Schumer were making some groundbreaking agreement, do you?

Also, a word of caution the Republican Party, many of you still don’t understand why conservatives get mad at you.

• Anonymous says:

And if Jean hit Ben with your head she’d kill him dead – blunt trauma. Honestly how do you keep a job?

• Oracle says:

These days “Christian” and “Republican” are mutually exclusive terms if you support what the state and national Republicans are doing. You can’t be both.

• bynd says:

When did you add that requirement to the Bible? Progressives. Now they believe they can add to the Bible.

• Anonymous says:

Nobody is Christian. There’s Jesus Himself and everything else. Not a ‘Republican” thing at all. I only have scorn for all political parties, but not because they aren’t “Christian’ enough.

• Hillarious says:

I find it funny that the Sasse Camp now is picking on L Street and Mike Kennedy. A blog with a few hundred readers and a school board member strikes fear into the heart of Ben’s inner circle. I have read some of Kennedy’s facebook posts and am a constant reader of L Street. I fail to see what they are saying is not true. Ben Sasse QUIT the Ag committee. Last I heard Ag is kind of important here in Nebraska. The “Ag” economy isn’t doing so well and its hurting tax relief in Nebraska. Also the Obamacare Nemesis has done nothing on Obamacare. As far as I’m concerned Ben is all talk, and I voted for Ben in the Primary!

• Anonymous says:

Is the point of being a Senator to be a slave to the President or to uphold their oath to the constitution? Trump isn’t a conservative on issues and you criticize Sasse for pointing that out? Gosh.
        I know many of you worked for Shane and other candidates in the primary but seriously. Sasse won…. get over it. Stop being whiney cry-babies and own up to the fact we have the third-most conservative Senator and some people love it.

• Anonymous says:

Conservative by some measure – not effective by any measure. What good is a conservative who can’t author and move legislation? Put another way, Ben could vanish politically and no one would know he disappeared. Just like Pete Ricketts.

• Hey, it’s the Right Wing Professor!
      I’m glad to see you are back reading and commenting at Leavenworth Street after promising to never return. (Though you obviously never stopped.)
      I will give you this: Schumer and Cruz’s funny responses would never have been initiated without Sasse’s weed comment. (I still don’t know the purpose or humor behind the Chech & Chong reference.)
      Thanks for reading!

3. bynd says:

the next dictator, I mean president is,

Mean while. All the potential Dem contenders for the next presidential election are going to Venezuela to see how to institute a social justice system of government with out having to go through another messy election they could lose. They would stop in Cuba but the Cubans are already in Venezuela helping out Maduro.

• bynd says:

Can’t. Just following the snowflake play book to accuse without evidence. It can be a fun game can’t it. Next will be the investigation into Venezuelan meddling in American politics.

• Anonymous says:

bynd: “All the potential Dem contenders for the next presidential election are going to Venezuela to see how to institute a social justice system of government with out having to go through another messy election they could lose.’

me: ‘Like who?’

bynd: ‘Can’t.”

me: So this sentence of yours – “All the potential Dem contenders for the next presidential election are going to Venezuela to see how to institute a social justice system of government with out having to go through another messy election they could lose.’ – is your assertion only.

There are no potential Dem contenders going to Venezuala. Correct?

• Anonymous says:

I’m doing your work, bynd, using Google to find Democratic candidates for public office in the United States who are a) visiting Venezuala (sic) and b) are using the Chavistas as a model for some kind of American socialism.

Its actually hard to do this search since Venezuala has several “democratic’ parties as part of the Opposition to the Chavez/Maduro cabal.

The only thing I found that came close was an article from an Oct. 16 ’16 issue of Reuters. The lede paragraph: ‘Venezuela’s government has slammed as “racist arrogance” a U.S. Democratic Party campaign ad supporting Hillary Clinton that puts her Republican presidential rival Donald Trump in the same category as Hugo Chavez, Benito Mussolini and Adolf Hitler.”

That doesn’t sound like ‘Democrats visiting Venezuala to learn to import Chavista to the US’ to me. That sounds like a bit dog hollaring.

Your turn to put your search skills to use, bynd. Who and what am I missing?

anonymous,
        First, don’t miss my apology. Second, you are missing nothing. Just like in the majority of snowflakes posting. A lot of hot air that looks good but has nothing to substantiate it. If it caused you excessive time or patience I once again apologize. But in the end, it’s what’s more than half of the BS that is on here. You just get tired of hit and want to shoot back. That was my shot, yes I feel much better.

• Anonymous says:

when bynd apologizes, he posts under the pseudonym Anonymous so no one will see that he actually has apologized for being wrong @ 3:01 cuz bynd doesn’t believe he is ever wrong

• anonymous says:

But yet you knew it was me. That’s what happens when you clean out your cookies. Maybe I’ll just start posting under anonymous. So I can be just like the other snowflake clones on here.

4. vet says:

The Cult of Victimization Worship seems to reaches into veterans too. Getting wounded or captured makes you a hero. — Here’s a clue, a real classic hero doesn’t save lives. Real heroes slaughter. They are bloody awful because that what you need to win wars.

PC-addicted America is ashamed of winnings wars by killing thousands of enemy with no harm to yourself. That seems unfair on our Hollywood minds. And so we build memorials to honor huge piles of our wasted war dead due to bad generalship or bad luck. We demand our heroes like Gary Cooper be wounded, so as to earn the right to kill the other guy in a “fair” fight.

That sort of thinking is going to get us all killed.

KIA’s, Purple Hearts, POWs, are all points for the enemy. I know Chuck and John. Both of them will tell you that if everyone gets wounded or captured then we lose the war. Might as well praise a guy for developing cancer.

I have two PUCs, which also are irrelevant to policymaking. Being good at shooting people is as useless in public office as having been shot. Service can improve persons in many ways. You can view it as a prerequisite if you wish. But not all vets make good civic leaders. It’s a different job.

I for one am glad Sasse is standing up for true conservative principle when Trump chooses populism over conservatism on trade and the like. We conservatives used to care about morality and slammed Anthony Werner and Bill clinton….. until Trump came. Now we can’t apologize for him enough!
    Someone has to stand up for the principles we claim to believe as conservatives. I’m glad Ben Sasse has done that.
    He’s thought about what are the long-term trends. Do 95 of the other Senators understand the changing economy and have thoughts about how to adapt? Nope. But Sasse does.
    Conservatism first, Party second.

Agree. What has Sasse done to be so “conservative”? He votes how a DC group tells him to and votes no on every big bill since he has been there. 21st Century Cures Act for medical research, NO, bill to pay our medical providers, NO, roads bill, NO, a bill to get education back to the local level,NO, and on and on he votes no. He wouldn’t even support Boys Town. He is suppose to be a senator, an Article 1 guy, so act like it. Where is his legislation on Obamacare? That is what he ran on. Where is he legislation on anything? Big ideas my rear end. He writes a book on our dime, he has his staff watch his kids on our dime, he goes on tv on our dime. OK all you Sasse defenders, have at it but be honest. Go Big or Go Home. Nothing Big from this guy. Nothing from this guy at all.

• anon says:

Say Ben may be exonerated with I told you so, but you know now his position can be to the majority of his constituents, a Cornhusker Ben, a Mello, the guy is pure bred beltway, remember the Capitol in the Heartland. Exposed. Manspreading at a democratic encounter, talkin’ dope. Tweet, Tweet

• anonymous says:

Not provided the vote for an unsustainable and very, very, very, very expensive entitlement program that left 29 million people uninsured instead of just putting them all under the FEHB which he had as insurance at the time.

Couldn’t let those pesky little people have what he had.

Okay Sasse-Lovers. GovTrack (not an official, government web site of any kind, more of a public service project to track legislator’s activity) says our buddy Ben has two whole bills to his credit in three years that he moved from sponsorship to law:

S.J.Res. 26: A joint resolution providing for congressional disapproval under chapter 8 of title 5, United States Code, of the rule submitted by the Department of Education relating to teacher preparation issues.
    Sponsor: Sen. Benjamin Sasse [R-NE]
    Introduced: Mar 2, 2017
    Referred to Committee (Enacted Via Other Measures): Mar 2, 2017

S. 17: GAO Access and Oversight Act of 2017
    Sponsor: Sen. Benjamin Sasse [R-NE]
    Introduced: Jan 3, 2017
    Referred to Committee (Enacted Via Other Measures): Jan 3, 2017
    Enacted via H.R. 72: GAO Access and Oversight Act of 2017

It hardly seems like Ben is breaking a legislative sweat after three years in office. His other votes are a long series of “Nays” to joint resolutions and a few “Yeas” to not spending money. All of this tripe never made it to the White House for a signature.

Is Ben Sasse Presidential timber? No, Ben Sass isn’t even morning wood. Why on earth would this man run for President, because he has straight teeth?

• The Eye Ball says:

Can I hit you over the head with tons of facts that will crack your skull open? The US Senate is largely dysfunctional. If the GOP had spent time understanding it, they would have never been confronted with Obama in the first place.

You entertain a fantasy of finding someone better than Sasse, but your definition of better means voting Democrat.

• Anonymous says:

No. It means finding better candidates regardless of label. Which we need to be done with once and for all.

• Anonymous says:

it don’t work that way ’cause the “better” candidates can’t get on the ballot unless the R’s and D’s change election laws and they won’t

• Tired of Liars says:

If Ben Sasse campaigned that he would give up Nebraska’s seat on the AG Committee, I can guarantee you he would have never been elected. The man is a snake. Everyone that I know that farms will not vote for him.

Well at least thread has proven that the Establishment Republicans who frequent L St:
    1. Don’t understand conservatism or the Constitution
    2. Believe the role of Congress is to “support the President” (even if it means following him off a cliff on trade or morality or whatever)
    3. Believing passing legislation (even if that legislation sucks) is more important than standing for principle.
    4. Have always hated and will always hate Ben Sasse no matter what.
    Cool guys! Let’s rename L St to “Unprincipled Team Red Street!”
    It’s cute for you all to criticize GOP Leadership on one hand for not passing conservative-enough legislation and then criticize Ben Sasse for standing for principle when the bills aren’t conservative enough. Love the #hypocrisy

• Agree. The average Nebraska Republican wouldn’t know conservatism even if he accidentally inhaled some.

ACU says Sasse has a 100% conservative voting record. Only two other senators have a perfect voting record: Mike Lee and Ted Cruz.

Either the American Conservative Union, or most of the commenters here, don’t have a clue what conservatism is. I know which way I’d bet.

• anon says:

Ted Cruz is a good man, take those conservatives throw in a Ben, weasels Graham and McCain will follow, even Jeb, you are not going to beat any democrat-it’s called least you forget electoral college

• anonymous says:

You are right.
      We have lived with 1,2, and 3 from the left for the lat 8 years. And now we have seen just over 100 days from the right. Although, it has been this way for a long time. How many times did a Dem vote against Obama in his 8 years?

And for Sasse you can substitute Sanders. You now, the one who stood on principles, his any way, while HRC pandered to every identity group she could. And the leadership of the DNC did every thing they could, legal and illegal, to make sure he lost.

Your posting is one of the finest examples of hypocrisy you have ever posted here.

#neverDemsnorRepubs. The scum of the earth.

• The Grundle King says:

Just wanted to say that Anon @3:28 captured my thoughts exactly.

What always makes me chuckle is the thought that the hardcore Trumpers on here get upset about the notion of Ben Sasse running for POTUS…as if they’d rather have a President from NEW YORK CITY (as shouted in old the Pace salsa commercials) than from Nebraska.

9. Sasse was dead-pan hilarious on “Wait wait don’t tell me”. He may yet redeem us from the sin of sending Roman Hruska to the Senate.

You can download the audio clip from npr.org.

• repenting lawyer says:

Prof GH, In the Senate of specialists by Committee assignment, which has disappeared, Hruska made important contributions on Judiciary Committee matters. The a lib on mediocrity can out badly, he was not quick on his feet, but a solid Senator. Curtis was not that bright,though nice enough .
      NE has always preferred Senators who talked as if they were speaking to the Rotary in McCook, a remark made about Ken Wherry, which explains many of the problems of Sasse.

• Anonymous says:

“NE has always preferred Senators who talked as if they were speaking to the Rotary in McCook” – this explains why Ernie Chambers is the best debater in the Unicameral. It’s Nebraska Nice versus Samuel L. Jackson.

• No doubt, RL, but each President has one comment that people remember more than anything else

“If you like your doctor, you can keep your doctor”
        “I never had sex with that woman”
        “Moral equivalent of war”